LIBERTY COUNSELING OFFICE
News and Information from Liberty Counseling- March 2020
1. Last day for T3 schedule changes: Thursday, March 5
2. Accuplacer test held at Liberty : Thursday, March 13
3. SAT: March 14
4. Kirkwood General Scholarship Application due: Sunday, March 15
5. ICR Future Career & College Fair: Sunday, March 29th 1-3 pm (see below flyer for more info)
6. Iowa City College Fair, hosted at West High School: March 30th from 2:30-4:30 pm.
Make-Up Kirkwood Academy Registration Day: March 5
Sophomore and Juniors that indicated through the Liberty online registration that they were planning to take an AM/PM Academy will receive a pass to complete the Kirkwood registration steps at this time.
Students planning to take an Academy, need to attend this session. These steps are mandatory in order to enroll in a Kirkwood Academy.
Composition 1 & 2: Testing Requirements for 2020-21 School Year
ACT or Accuplacer scores are due on April 1st for junior students planning to take Composition I & II English course during the 2020-21 school year.
An informational email was sent directly to students and parents of students registered to take Composition I & II with additional information.
Test scores need to be submitted to Counseling Office by April 1st, by 4:00 pm.
Accuplacer Testing at Liberty
FAFSA Seniors need to complete this ASAP
If your post-secondary plan includes one of the following, you will need to complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for scholarships, grants, and other student financial aid:
Technical School/Certification Program
2 year college
4 year college
Need help completing this necessary step?
If you need personal assistance to complete your FAFSA, you may contact:
Iowa College Access Network
Set up an appointment with financial aid expert
Contact your future college’s financial aid office to set up appointment
ICR Future Career and College Fair is a fair unlike any other in Eastern Iowa, bridging the gap between career exploration and college/training selection, to help students make informed decisions that align career interests with education and training selection.
Sunday, March 29, 2020
12:30 - 3 p.m.
The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
7725 Kirkwood Blvd - Cedar Rapids, IA
Information below provided by STONEPILE Construction College
The construction industry needs leaders- and they are relying on women to fill the gap and take the lead. Currently, women make up only 9.4% of the total industry, with only 1 out of 100 women on the actual construction site.1 With its innovative and tech-savvy processes, the construction industry is asking women to give it a second look.
For more information: click here
STONEPILE has just announced that during its inaugural years, the college will MATCH students' (both male and female) financial aid, grants, and scholarships while offering a pro-jobs and pro-technology higher education. STONEPILE'S tuition is $3000 per semester, this opportunity means students can avoid debt and graduate with marketable and ready skills for the field.
Summer Volunteer Opportunity
The camp is looking for volunteers 16 years and older to be a "buddy" to adults with special needs for a fun-filled week this summer!
A "buddy" is a companion to the EP campers during their week at camp. Campers choose from activities such as crafts, fishing, games, swimming, talent show, etc.
For more information informational flyers can be found in the counseling office.
University of Iowa Tippie Gateway Program: Summer Opportunity
The Tippie Gateway Program is intended for high school juniors. The program is in the summer between the students junior and senior year. Preference will be given to applicants from populations under-represented in business including minority, low-income, and/or first-generation. Iowa University will select 45 students to participate in this scholarship-funded program. The only cost for participants is their travel to and from campus. You can see a preview of their program by watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nswvYPj-bo
· Six-day, residential program: Sunday June 21 through Friday June 26, 2020
· No cost to the students; housing, meals, and other expense are covered by scholarships
· Learn about the various business majors: Business Analytics, Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Management, Economics etc.
· Interactive workshops focused on their strengths as students and leaders
· Participate in a case study competition
· Interact with students, faculty, staff and alumni of the Tippie College of Business
· Applications accepted through April 10, 2020 https://tippie.uiowa.edu/future-undergraduates/admissions/high-school-students/tippie-gateway-program
· Participants will be selected and notified by the end of April
If you have questions or want to discuss the program further, please call the Undergraduate Program Office in the Tippie College of Business at 319-335-1037 and ask to speak with Mark or Gabriela, as I will be happy to talk with you about this important (and FREE!) opportunity for your students!
Parent Webinar: Iowa College Access Network: Life After High School
This program covers:
- Career Exploration & Assessment
- Economic Trends & Goal Setting
- Academic Preparation & Requirements
- Admission Process & Requirements
- College/Training Program Selection
- Campus Visits
- Application Process
- Understanding Costs - Cost of Attendance
- Scholarships/Job Training Programs
- Successful Transitions
To register: click here
Liberty Food Pantry Now Available!
Dear Liberty Students & Families,
The Liberty Food Pantry is open to ALL students and families every week on Fridays from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.If you have any questions, please contact the Student & Family Advocate, Rick Spear, through email at Spear.Rick@iowacityschools.org or by phone at 319.688.1354 ext. 3019.
Troy Bergmann Students A-G email@example.com
Jenni Naughton Students H-N firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayra DeVries Students O-Z email@example.com
Student Family Advocate:
Shanell Young firstname.lastname@example.org
Career Coordinator/Student Family Advocate:
Rick Spear email@example.com
Julie DeVries DeVries.firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan Schneider email@example.com