FAC Weekly Update
February 17, 2023
Good Morning, FAC Family
We hope that you had a great week!
In case you missed it - we launched a matching donation campaign this week called Double It. Every donation we receive between now and March 17 will be doubled! This is a great opportunity to help us fund the above-and-beyond things for your child such as guest artists, scholarships, and field trip fees. If each FAC family contributes $50 to the campaign, we hit our goal! If you can do more, please do since not all of our FAC family can make a contribution.
Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
Congratulations - FAC Voice Students
SCNATS - Musical Theatre Competition
FAC Voice had 10 singers in the competition, and all are moving on to the Regional Competition! Congratulations to...
- Ava Arnold
- Lucas Bowers
- Brady Green (room winner)
- Mills Howell
- Peyton Kakouras
- Omarion Kirksey
- Sarah Poinsette
- Keaton Rainwater
- Claire Shirley
- Ayden Woo
SCNATS - Classical Competition
5 FAC singers competed, with all advancing to Regionals! Congratulations to...
- Lexi Howard (room winner)
- Karlee John
- Elissa Jordan
- Sarah Poinsette
- Claire Shirley
Classical Singer Competition - High School Division
Congratulations to Lexi Howard on winning the All State Competition for the Classical Singer Competition (High School Division)
Fine Arts Center in the News
Peace Center/Fine Arts Center Partnership
The Peace Center invested $50,000 into artist residencies at the FAC for the 22-23 school year. We are grateful to the Peace Center for their support of our students, and are working on expanding the program to reach all areas of the performing arts at our school.
Reedy Reels Film Festival
For tickets to the festival, go to https://reedyreels.com/.
NAACP ACT-SO Competition
Fine Arts Center students are encouraged to enter their work in the NAACP’s ACT-SO scholarship competition. Students can win between $250 and $3,000 locally as well as advance to the national competition for work in the following areas:
- Creative Writing - Original Essay, Poetry, Short Story
- Dance - Ballet, Contemporary
- Instrumental Music: Classical, Contemporary, Modern, Traditional
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts - Drawing, Painting, Sculpture
- Vocal Music: Classical, Contemporary
Please note: students of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For more information -
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
- Let people know that you need them.
- When you have a big dream, you can either give up or get help.
- Lead by asking questions
- The connection question: "Who moves first?" Answer: "The connector moves first."
- Be someone people can count on.
- The success of my day is based on the seeds I sow, not the harvest I reap.
- Leaders who don't listen will end up surrounded by people who have nothing to say.
- Encouragement is oxygen for the soul
Dr. John C. Maxwell - The Maxwell Leadership Podcast
FAC Students Performing in the Community
The Very Hungry Caterpillar - SC Children's Theatre
Is your child performing in the Greenville community?
Scholarship Opportunities for FAC Seniors
Students may log on to https://www.schoolinks.com/ to access a comprehensive scholarship list. Click on “Finances” and “Scholarship Matching.”
Archibald Rutledge Scholarship Program
The South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) is announcing the Archibald Rutledge Scholarship Program. This annual program offers public school twelfth-grade students the opportunity to compete for a scholarship worth approximately $2,000 in creative writing, dance, music, theatre, and visual arts. The purpose of the competition is to encourage and recognize academic and artistic excellence. Archibald Rutledge Scholarship Program information is available on the SCDE website. Applications are due February 20, 2023.
Due to the generosity of an anonymous donor, The Vegetarian Resource Group each year will award $30,000 in college scholarship money to graduating U.S. high school students who have promoted vegetarianism in their schools and/or communities. Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, or fowl. Vegans are vegetarians who do not use other animal products such as dairy or eggs. One award of $10,000 and two awards of $5,000 will be given. https://www.vrg.org/student/scholar.htm Deadline: February 20, 2023
Silver Pen writing competition is hosted through Cascades Verdae and is open to high school seniors that attend school within a 25 mile radius of the Cascades Verdae. To apply, you must write a 1000 word essay on the assigned topic. silverpen-slc.com Deadline: February 21, 2023.
Greenville County Schools Foundation Scholarship Golf Tournament - 2023
The Greenville County Schools Scholarship Golf Tournament proceeds provide district seniors with financial assistance for their freshman year of college. Application deadline: March 1, 2023. Click below for application and eligibility requirements.
AHAM - The Hispanic American Women’s Association is pleased to announce the 2023 scholarship award to eligible Hispanic students in the Upstate. Students can complete their application and submit all their documents directly to the following: https://www.ahamsc.org/scholarship. Deadline: March 15, 2023
Regions Black History Scholarship Essay Contest | Regions https://www.regions.com/about-regions/diversity-equity-inclusion/supporting-communities/black-history-month/essay-contest-scholarship. Deadline: March 31, 2023
- Monday, February 20 - No School for Students and Staff; Presidents’ Day
- Wednesday, February 22 - Tri-M Music Honor Society Recital; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- Saturday, February 25 - FAC Audition Day #1
- Wednesday, March 1 - Jazz Studio Concert; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Saturday, March 4 - FAC Audition Day #2
- Thursday, March 9 - The Next Generation: A Concert of Creative Minds; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Tuesday, March 14 - Strings Chamber Music Concert; 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall; Tickets are $10 for adults, free to GCS students and children 12 and under
- Friday, March 17 - Sunday, March 26 - Spring Break
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.