P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
May 1st to May 5th
A Few Updates:
💐Thank you to the PTA Decorating Committee for decorating the Main and Annex for Spring.
🚧Annex families, you will not be able to turn left in the Annex parking lot due construction on Union Turnpike. You will also not be able to park on Union Turnpike. Please take note of this upcoming change.
💞Our Student Council is sponsoring the Kids Heart Challenge❤️. May 12th is our school's culminating event. Each student will participate in fun activities in our school yard throughout the school day. Make sure you sign up now on the school page. We only have 62 students signed up. We would love to get over 300 students signed up so we can get an extra $500 for PE equipment. The link to sign up is below under Kids Heart Challenge.
💻Please make sure you cast your vote for District 26's CDEC committee. The link is below. Vote will end May 9th. Make your voice heard.
📑Our next STEM night for grades 3-5 will be May 31st. The link to sign up was sent out this week for students to sign up.
📢Follow our PTA on Instagram:
PS188Q PTA (@ps188qpta) • Instagram photos and videos
❓Feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions:
Mrs. Perez-Fung- Parent Coordinator email@example.com
Mrs. Nartowicz- Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Figueroa- Principal email@example.com
May Book of the Month📚
What is a purple person? Great question. I mean, really great! Because purple people always ask really great questions. They bring their family, friends, and communities together, and they speak up for what’s right. They are kind and hardworking, and they love to laugh (especially at Grandpa’s funny noises)! A purple person is an everyday superhero! How do you become one? That’s the fun part! Penny Purple will lead you through the steps. Get ready to be silly, exercise your curiosity, use your voice, and be inspired.
The Social Emotional Learning Theme is to "Activate Young Citizens." The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Focus is to encourage students to envision the world as the kind of place they want it to be with books that help them recognize their power to make a difference. The DESSA Competencies Connection is self-management. For this month, the Student of the Month Award
will recognize a student who displays strengths/skills in the DESSA area of self-management.
Check out the Book of the Month Newsletter attached below:
April Student of the Month
April Super Citizen Award
💖Kids Heart Challenge Spirit Week---Check Your Child's Google Classroom
🎪Spring Family Day
Please join the PTA on Saturday, May 20th from 1 to 4 PM for our Spring Family Day!
We will have a DJ, Dancing, Bounce Houses, Snacks, Carnival Games, Face Painting, Raffle Prizes and More!
Tickets are $15 each. If paying by Zelle please use firstname.lastname@example.org and kindly put your child's name and class in the memo line.
Or you can send cash or a check made payable to PS188QPTA in an envelope labeled PTA. Kindly put your child's name and class in the memo line.
Thank you for your continued support and looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 20th!
Dancing Classrooms Family Event
Lace up those dance shoes!! As part of Councilmember Lee's generous grant, we would like to invite all PreK-5 families to join us for an afternoon of dancing led by Dancing Classrooms teaching artists. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times and adult will need to show ID and sign into the building.
📣Mother's Day Sale Volunteers Needed for Main and Annex
Hello PS 188 Community,
The PTA will be holding a Mother's Day sale on Tuesday, May 9th in the Main Building and Thursday, May 11th in the Annex.
We are looking for donations of items to sell - bath bombs, hand lotions, key chains, bracelets - or any other items you think a Mother, Grandmother, Aunt, babysitter would love! We also accept monetary donations.
Please click on the link to sign up to volunteer for the PTA's Mother's Day Sale on Tuesday May 9th and Thursday May 11th.
Any questions please email email@example.com
❤️Kids Heart Challenge❤️
Our School Has Heart!
Join us in learning about heart health and raising funds to protect all hearts – especially other kids’! Through fun activities we’ll discover ways to take care of our hearts and brains while practicing kindness, gratitude and learning ways to de-stress. Plus, we have the chance to earn PE equipment for our school!Help us reach our goal to raise $10,000! We can do it.
Sign up today! YM ES KHC 2022-2023 WO-21786: PS 188 Kingsbury - Kids Heart Challenge - American Heart Association
Make sure you participate in the Principal's Challenge as well! Check out Mrs. Nartowicz and Mrs. Figueroa's challenge to all of P.S. 188Q below as well as a commercial by our Student Council.
3rd to 5th Grade STEM Night- May 31st LIMITED SEATS available
AAPI Heritage Month--Resources for Families from NYCDOE
💻Follow the PTA on Instagram!
🍎Teacher Appreciation Week May 8th to May 12th
Post about the power of teachers.
Take Teacher Appreciation Week as an opportunity to share on your social media those stories, thank a teacher who paved the way for your future, and honor those who continue to uplift and encourage our young people every day. Post photos on social media using #ThankATeacherNYC (in accordance with DOE Digital Citizenship and Social Media Guidelines).
Hang a poster on your window. Window art is all the rage right now. Neighbors are walking around admiring children’s artwork and posting art in their own windows. Have your child make a poster thanking their teacher, hang it on a front window, and let your teacher know it’s there! It will be a great way to offer teachers some encouragement and inspire neighbors to do the same.
Use the DOE All-Stars tool to send a note of gratitude to recognize teachers
✔️Gifted & Talented-Students Going Into Grades 1-4 for 2023-2024 School Year
- Eligibility will be based on report card grades. For more information on eligibility please visit our website at schools.nyc.gov/GT.
- The application will run from May 2nd to May 15th. Families can apply through MySchools and at a local Family Welcome Center.
At P.S. 188Q, we will have the following number of seats available for next school year:
1st grade: 14 seats
2nd grade: 1 seat
3rd grade: 0 seats
4th grade: 6 seats
Dear PS188Q Families,
Have you voted?
You can have your voice heard by voting in the Education Council Elections.
To vote, you will need to sign into your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA). If you do not have an account, it’s not too late! Sign up for your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) today. If you need help signing up to NYCSA, I will guide you through the process.
Be sure to review the candidates’ profiles here before voting. We have two parents from PS 188Q parents that are running for the CEC. Check out their profiles!
Voting lasts until May 9, but don’t wait, sign in to NYCSA and Vote today!
Questions? Attend an Information Session on
Mondays through Thursdays at: 9AM, 12PM, or 6PM Launch Meeting - Zoom
Fridays at: 9AM or 12 PM Launch Meeting - Zoom
If you need interpretation, please submit your request here.
Teachers and Writers Collaborative
The Beautiful Poem
Elsa L., Claire H. and Ethan W.
We all play Roblox
Shout out to the person who made gaming
Shoot out to majestic animals
pandas and cats
We like Reading Warriors!
and so do we like sports and hobbies
we love to eat, shout out to animals!
We also love Minecraft!
We all shout out to online games
We love our families that raised us!
We love to sleep and we love to stay up till midnight!
Shout out to Roblox Doors!!!
Who likes STEAM, they support life
Lastly, all shout out to Earth!!!
District 26 Parent Workshops
- May 8th to May 12th: Return All Library Books; Teacher Appreciation Week; School Spirit Week
- May 8th: Wear Blue
- May 9th Mother's Day Sale at Main; Wear Green
- May 10th: Nurse's Day; Wear Orange
- May 11th: Mother's Day Sale at Annex; Wear Yellow
- May 12th: Kids Heart Challenge Culminating Event; Wear Red
- May 15th: Book of the Month Assembly at Annex; NYSLESLAT Reading, Writing and Listening begins
- May 17th: Book of the Month Assembly at Main; Last Day of Wednesday Self-Sustaining After School; PTA Meeting @ 7:00 p.m.
- May 18th: Last day of Morning Library
- May 20th: PTA Sponsored Spring Family Day
- May 22nd: Incoming 1st grade parents visit the Main Building 9:00 a.m.
- May 23rd: Dancing Classrooms Family Event for PreK-5 @ 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- May 25th: Last Day of Thursday Self-Sustaining Afterschool; P.S. 188Q Art Show and Chorus Concert @ 5:30 p.m.
- May 26th: 7:30 a.m. Student DEI Meeting in Library
- May 29th: No School- Memorial Day
- May 30th: Kindergarten Orientation 9:00 a.m. for incoming Kindergarten parents
- May 31st: PTA Sponsored Number Drummer; STEM Night for Grades 3-5
- June 1st: PTA Sponsored Number Drummer; D26 Civics for All Share Fair at MS 67Q
- June 2nd: Safety meeting @ 7:30 a.m. via Zoom; PTA Sponsored Number Drummer
- June 5th: PreK, Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Field Day in school yards
- June 6th: 3rd and 4th Grade Field Day in school yard
- June 7th: 5th Grade Field Day at Alley Pond Park
- June 8th and 9th: No School for students
- June 12th: Kindergarten students visit Main for tour
- June 13th: PTA Sponsored Mr. Chris' Musical Experience for PreK to 5th grade at the Main; Father's Day Sale at Main
- June 14th: Flag Day; 5th Grade Trip
- June 15th: 5th Grade Awards Assembly and Dance
- June 16th: 5th Grade Graduation 9:00 a.m. in P.S. 188Q Auditorium
- June 20th: PreK End of the Year Celebration 1:15 p.m. @ Annex
- June 21st: Incoming PreK Parent Orientation @ Annex 9:00 a.m.
- June 22nd: 3rd Grade Dancing Classrooms Calumniating Event with parents- 9:00 a.m.
- June 23rd: Kindergarten End of the Year Show 9:00 a.m. @ Main
- June 27th: Last Day of School for all; Report cards available on NYCSA at 3:00 p.m.