This Week in Room 120
Week of November 11, 2013
- The Veteran's Day program is TOMORROW at 8:45 in the Gebhardt gym.
- Report cards will come home on Thursday. Please let me know if you have questions after you have read it.
- Friday is a Late Start.
- Monday and Tuesday - the narrative structure of a fictional story. We will call this a Story Mountain (see photo below). We will work to apply this structure to the books that we've read together and then the students will apply it to the books that they are reading independently.
- Wednesday - Cause and effect in fictional stories
- Thursday - We will categorize some of the types of conflict found in fictional stories: man vs. nature, man vs. man, man vs. society, and man vs. self
in Word Study we will be studying words that end in -le, -el, and -al.
-al is a suffix which is added onto a base word. Examples: arrival (from arrive), survival (from survive).
-le is the most common ending. There isn't a hard and fast rule about why you use -le more often than -el. We will practice writing the words twice, once with each ending, to see which looks correct. This is a strategy that I use all of the time when spelling!
Some of the words that we will be studying:
arrival, comical, survival, bevel, expel, dispel, apparel, amble, bauble, steeple