Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: January 13, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- Generation Citizen | Rhode Island Civics Day
- Best Buddies Meetings this week!
- National Junior Honor Society Meeting & Save the Date!
- Spring Musical Information- NEW INFO!
- STAAND Meeting | This Tuesday, January 14th
- No Coding Club this week!
- "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition
- Student Government Meeting this week | Wednesday, January 15th
- KMS PTO Updates | Event this week- January 16th!
- Caffeine & Conversations with our Admin Team
- School Store: Opening Fridays starting January 17th
- Bristol 4th of July Button Contest | Deadline January 18th
- Athletics Updates
- NO SCHOOL | Monday, January 20th
- 6th Grade Band | First Performance January 22nd
- Screenagers: Next Chapter | Open to the Public
- Save the Date | Valentine's Dance
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
1. Generation Citizen | Rhode Island Civics Day this Friday, January 10th
Representatives were selected from each class to attend Civics Day and they will give a 6-10 minute presentation of their projects to judges.
There were so many people at the event that were impressed with our students work. Great job to all the students who participated in this day and a big CONGRATULATIONS to 8th Grade Social Students Teacher, Ms. Winter, on winning the teachers Change Maker Award for the State of Rhode Island.
2. Best Buddies Meetings this week!
4. Spring Musical
ATTENTION MASQUERS AND MASQUERS HOPEFULS!
There will be an informational meeting in the auditorium on TUESDAY JANUARY 14TH from 2 - 3 PM.
This is where you can sign up to participate in this year’s show, learn about auditions for acting, singing, and dancing, as well as being part of the crew, and have any questions answered. If you are unable to attend for any reason, please fill out the form that will be available in the front office on Wednesday the 15th and turn it in by Friday the 17th.
STUDENTS MUST FILL OUT A FORM TO PARTICIPATE IN AUDITIONS AND/OR BE A CREW MEMBER!
Auditions will take place the next week as follows:
6th Graders - Tuesday January 21st 2 - 4 PM
7th & 8th Graders - Wednesday January 22nd 2 - 4 PM
Additional or makeup day TBA if needed.
8. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
KMS PTO Wood Sign Paint Night
Thursday, Jan. 16th, 6:30pm
850 Hope Street
Join us for a fun night of painting! You will paint a wooden sign that says HOME with 5 interchangeable pieces for the O in HOME.
About this Event
'HOME' Wooden Sign Paint Night ! HOME sign with 5 pieces to interchange for the letter O. Additional pieces can be purchased at the event for $5.
Light refreshments will be served. The bar will be open to purchase drinks.
Sign up today! Link Below:
10. Caffeine & Conversation with our Admin Team | January 16th
If you would like to attend, please call or email Melissa Benevides at 401-245-2010 x2006 or firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Athletics Updates
Spring Sports Registration NOW Open until February 23rd
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org.
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
Bristol Warren Athletics strives for having hardworking, respectful and responsible Student-Athletes on and off the field. Being a member of a Kickemuit Middle School athletic team is a privilege and the attainment of this carries with it certain traditions and responsibilities. You must remember that as a student-athlete, you represent not only yourself, but also your
team and the entire Bristol-Warren community. You must be committed to balancing your academic, athletic and social responsibilities in order to ensure success for you, your team, and the department of athletics.
Please refer to the student-athlete handbook for Academic Eligibility Participation in Athletic and Extracurricular Activities (pages 8-10).
15. 6th Grade Band's First Performance | January 22nd!
The time has come to celebrate all our 6th grade band students have learned this year!
- What: Sixth Grade Band First Performance
- When: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 22 , 2020 arrive at 6:30pm (Performance starts at 7)snow date 1/23
- Where: KMS Performing Arts Center
- Who: Our 6th grade band students and their families and friends
Please click link below to view an Important letter from Mr. Brackett & Mrs. Labonte
6th Grade Band First Performance Letter
16. Screenagers Next Chapter | January 28th @ 5:30PM
BWRSD & BWEF are hosting a screening & discussion of Screenagers Next Chapter on Tuesday, January 28th in the Auditorium. 5:30PM Pizza & Refreshments followed by 6:00PM Introduction & Film presentation and then a discussion from 7:15-8PM.
High Stress, anxiety and depression are experienced by millions of young people. We follow physicians and filmmakers Delaney Ruston as she discovers solutions for improved adolescent well-being in the digital age.
Source & More Info: https://www.screenagersmovie.com/about
18. PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
2020 ARTS SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!
The Providence Performing Arts Center’s Community Outreach Committee is requesting applications to the 2020 ARTS Scholarships program. The ARTS Scholarships program, sponsored by The Textron Charitable Trust and PPAC’s Annual Fund donors with support from Ocean State Charities Trust, awards up to $500 in financial assistance to each of 30 winning Rhode Island students (15 from Providence, 15 from other Rhode Island communities) for summer arts education programs.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be aged 11 - 14 by June 1, 2020
- reside in and attend school in Rhode Island
- demonstrate artistic ability and interest
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a completed application
All applications must be filled out completely and correctly, signed by the student, the parent or guardian, and the student’s sponsor and submitted with supporting materials no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Applications, guidelines, and summer arts program lists are available through the links below or can be picked up at the PPAC Administrative Office at 220 Weybosset Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For questions or further information, contact Cynthia Goldsmith at 401-574-3105.
Need more information or Spanish translations: https://www.ppacri.org/outreach/arts-scholarship
Summer Art Programs 2020: https://www.ppacri.org/assets/doc/Summer-Arts-Programs-List-2020-2489a03b71.pdf