Eagles' News Brief:
Thank you for your patience!
Volunteering is helpful, but it is not required. Contact Bonnie Fagley- email@example.com.
Please remember to send a note if your child misses school for any reason.
A Few Fun Shots from Campus!
Community of Hope Afterschool Program
Regional Family Food Distribution
According to Feeding America, one in seven adults in North Carolina struggles with hunger. One in five children doesn't know where they will get their next meal. The YMCA of the Triangle is committed to changing those odds and helping provide food security for all of our neighbors.
Today, select YMCA facilities serve as regional food hubs for meal distribution for families in Wake County. Through a partnership with Wake County, the Y will provide one to two weeks' worth of shelf-stable and fresh food throughout the rest of the year.
Families can visit any of our locations and receive food at no cost.
Volunteers are needed at each of our hub locations. Children 12 and younger may participate when accompanied by an adult volunteer.
The Poole Family YMCA, 2110 Aversboro Rd., Garner, Tuesdays, 5 - 7 p.m.
Interested in Volunteering? Please stop by the school to register for clearance by October 29!
Reactivation for Continuing Volunteers for 2021-2022
- Reactivating volunteers may go to any WCPSS work site and register through wcpss.net by selecting the Community tab, and then selecting Volunteer.
- Individuals previously approved to volunteer must reactivate by 4 p.m. on October 29, 2021.
- Current volunteers, who provided a valid email address, will receive an email 15 days and 30 days prior to the expiration of their volunteer status reminding them to reactivate.
New Volunteers for 2021-2022
- All new volunteer applicants must register and have an approved criminal record check prior to engaging in volunteer work.
- New volunteer applicants may go to any WCPSS work site and register through wcpss.net by selecting the Community tab, and then selecting Volunteer.
- Applicants will be notified by email once their application has been approved.
- Applicants who are not approved will receive notice from Employee Relations.
Title I Provides Additional Funding for Our School
As many of you know, Vandora Springs is a Title I School. That means our school receives extra funding to support student needs. For the past few years, we have used Title I funding to pay for additional teachers and staff, classroom books and technology, science night activities, take home books for students, and more. This year is no different! We continue to use our Title I Funds to reduce class sizes and provide resources to support student learning at home and at school!
The amount of Title I Funding we receive each year is based off of the percent of students in our building who qualify for free or reduced lunch. Therefore, we urge ALL families who MAY qualify for free or reduced lunch prices to please apply. (Spanish)
Like last year, families that qualify for free or reduced lunch prices may also qualify for Pandemic Electronic Benefits. More information about P-EBT Benefits will be posted here.
Positivity Project: Other People Mindset: Integrity
Integrity is doing the right thing when nobody is watching. People with integrity practice what they preach and maintain a consistent pattern of behavior aligned with their values. They have the courage not to follow the crowd if it means going against their beliefs. Integrity is closely aligned with the terms of honesty and authenticity. People with integrity tell the truth and have alignment in their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
4th & 5th Grade AIG Nomination Window
Hi Vandora Springs Families!
Do you have a 4th or 5th grade child that is going above and beyond in their schoolwork? Do you see 4's on their papers and report cards. If so, you can nominate your child for our AIG program (gifted program in math and reading). Students will take a test for 4-5 days for about 45 minutes each day to complete the testing portion.
I would highly recommend asking your child's current teacher as well as last year's teacher for their thoughts on nominating your child. Classroom teachers also have an opportunity to nominate children that they observe exhibiting highly gifted traits!
If you have a question about our AIG program, please email Cammie Viverette.
Thank you! Cammie Viverette firstname.lastname@example.org
A Few Reminders:
PLEASE MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO ARRIVE BY 8:25, so your child can make it to class on time Ready to Learn!
- DO NOT SEND SICK STUDENTS TO SCHOOL. Please do not send your child to school sick. Sick students will be sent to our Care Center for parent pick-up, and they will need to following the following procedures for returning to school after Covid-19 Diagnosis, Exposure, or Illness.
- MASKS ARE REQUIRED. Masks are required inside the building. It is imperative that masks are worn properly... covering the mouth, nose, and chin. This protects everyone, and it helps reduce the number of students who may need to quarantine.
- BE SURE WE HAVE YOUR MOST UP-TO-DATE CONTACT INFORMATION AT ALL TIMES (PHONE & EMAIL). To opt-in to receive text messages, simply text YES to 67587. To update your School Messenger preferences visit: https://www.wcpss.net/schoolmessenger