Dear Rosa Parks families,
Teacher Appreciation Week is May 3rd - 7th!
When the COVID-19 outbreak hit the U.S., teachers immediately changed their entire lesson plan overnight to work for distance learning. Teachers have been working tirelessly giving everything they have to every student. Today is the perfect time to start thinking of Teacher Appreciation Week.
Parents As Partners
You too have been working hard this year as both a parent and a teacher. Please know the village that each child has been surrounded by has made a difference. NONE of us could have gotten through this pandemic alone. Thank you.
Planning for School Year 2021-2022
We are in the planning cycle for school year 2021-2022:
- Are you moving? – Please send an email to Mrs. Ferrandino email@example.com or call the school to let her know when and where you are moving.
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EAGLE FLYER
Attention Fifth Grade Parents!
MIDDLE SCHOOL BOUNDARY CHANGES for the 2021-2022 School Year
Prince William County Schools is opening a new middle school in the 2021-2022 school year. This new middle school effects the attendance boundaries for most, if not all, other PWCS middle schools. Many of our Rosa Parks Families that live in the “M” streets have sent your older children to Beville Middle School in the past. Next year, all Rosa Parks students that live in the “M” streets will attend Saunders Middle School for the 2021-2022 school year. If you have questions, please contact Arthur Lockamy (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Terri Faulkner (email@example.com), our School Counselors.
Mark your calendars for 5th Grade Promotion on June 7th
Parents of 5th graders: The promotion ceremony will be virtual on Monday, June 7th. Two classes will be at 9:00am and two classes at 11:00am. At 2:00pm we will have a drive thru pickup line so that students can pick up their awards and diplomas. More information will be coming in the next few weeks.
A Message from the Nurse
Warmer weather is here!
- Please have your student wear clothing according to our school guidelines. No flip flops or crocs are allowed. Please make sure shorts follow the finger tip rule and top straps are three fingers wide. If you think "should I or should I not wear this," you probably shouldn't. If you have a question about clothing, please see the PWCS Code of Behavior.
- If your student has seasonal allergies and may need some allergy medication during the school day, please contact the school nurse (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the next steps to keep medication at school.
- Please make sure you stay on track with your child’s physical and immunizations. If you obtain a new immunization record, please remember it needs to be validated. If you are not sure if your student is due for an immunization, contact your healthcare provider or call the school nurse.
- If your student needs to have a health treatment plan for school, please call the school nurse or you can review the treatment plans on the county website at pwcs.edu.
- If you have any questions regarding COVID-19 and our mitigation measures at school, please visit the Clinic Information section on our school website or call the school nurse, Mrs. Knepp, at 703-580-9665.
Summer school information
Forms will be completed online.
Here is the link for the summer school information on the PWCS website:
On the intranet, there have the forms for each school. Here is the form for Rosa Parks ES:
Parents can complete the form or call the school. Deadline to register for Summer School is April 30th. Late registration is in May.
Grades 3rd-8th SOL Tests
Grades 3-8 Math SOL tests, Grades 3-8 Reading SOL tests, Grade 5 Science SOL tests, and Grade 8 Science SOL tests will be administered in elementary and middle schools between April 26, 2021 and June 4, 2021. Retakes for Grades 3-8 tests will not be offered this school year. Students who are receiving instruction in-person will be tested on days when they are physically present in schools. Families of students who are receiving instruction 100% virtually will be contacted by their school to coordinate testing schedules and transportation for students in need. If families decide to exclude their student from testing because they have concerns related to COVID-19, then their student’s score report will reflect that the test was refused due to COVID-19, but there will not be a negative impact on their student’s final grade. Please note that PWCS will not administer the Grade 4 Virginia Studies SOL test, the Grade 8 Civics and Economics SOL test, or the Grade 8 Writing SOL test this school year. Rather, PWCS has elected to exercise an option offered by the state to use locally developed alternative assessments instead of administering SOL tests to help mitigate the stress on families.
Families of participating students should be aware that all health and safety guidelines related to COVID-19 will be followed during testing, including physical distancing, sanitizing workstations, and wearing an appropriate face-covering. If you have questions about testing schedules or coordinating transportation for your student on test days, please contact your student’s school directly.
**PLEASE SEE THE LINK AT BOTTOM FOR THE SOL CALENDAR**
Visual Arts Festival
The virtual arts festival is through sway and will go live on May 3rd. As soon as we receive the link we will send it out to you. Stay tuned!