Titan Talk Newsletter
November 15, 2019
The week ahead...
NOVEMBER IS FAMILY ENGAGEMENT MONTH!
* DATA TALKS ARE ON WEDNESDAY, NOV. 20 @ 6 PM *
ALL STUDENT & PARENTS ASKED TO ATTEND
- 11/16 - Titan Advantage @ 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 11/18 - * LAST DAY of Canned Food Drive for NFCC sponsored by Jr. Beta
- 11/18 - Holiday Market in Eidenwilde @ 10 am to 1 pm & 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- 11/18 - Classroom Spelling Bees
- 11/19 - Classroom Spelling Bees
- 11/18 to 11/21 - JV Winter Guard Try-Outs @ Milton High School from 4-6:30 pm
- 11/19 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM in the Media Center
- 11/19 - BOYS Basketball Interest Meeting @ 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM *Coach Dan Richal
- 11/19 - ART SHOW IN THE MEDIA CENTER! Pixel, Sketch & 3-D Anime Art by Alexandra Richardson in the Media Center at 6 PM. Come meet the artist and see the art exhibit.
- 11/20 - Katha Stuart Meeting: MPES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 11/20 - Drama Club after-school in Ms. Bickel's room
- 11/20 - RAK Club after-school in Ms. Dismer's room
- 11/20 - GIRLS Basketball Interest Meeting - @ 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM * Coach Erika Edwards
- 11/20 - Student-Led Data Talks at 6 p.m. in the Cafeteria
- 11/21 - Student Council Meeting @ 8 AM in Ms. Williams' room (E-106)
- 11/21 - Schoolwide Spelling Bee in the Media Center @ 9:00 AM - ALL PARENTS INVITED! Click HERE for "Word of the Champions" Key to the Spelling Bee.
- 11/21 - Deadline to Register for the Titan Tech Team - To join the team, email Ms. Lindesay before Thanksgiving Break!
- 11/21 - Lost & Found donated at the end of the school day
- 11/21 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 PM - 5:30 PM in the Media Center
- 11/22 - EPMS RFF Day (EPMS Students Off)
- 11/25 to 11/29 - Thanksgiving Break (Schools Closed)
STUDENT-LED DATA TALKS
November 20th @ 6 p.m.
All Parents, Students, and Families Invited!
EPMS RFF DAY - STUDENTS OFF
ALL Students Off - Teacher/Staff Workday
THANKSGIVING BREAK - NO SCHOOL
November 25th to November 29th
Enjoy your holiday!
RISING 9TH GRADE TRANSITION MEETINGS
* English Meeting is December 3rd @ 6 PM
* Spanish Meeting is December 5th @ 6 PM
* 8th grade Orchestra parents, click HERE
SAVE THE DATE FOR
INVENTION CONVENTION & STEM NIGHT
December 11th @ 5:30 PM
All families invited to this NEW 7 Exciting Event!
Message from the Principal
This past week was School Psychologist Week, and I want to extend my gratitude to our excellent School Psychologist, Ms. Megan Frank. She supports students by promoting wellness, resilience, communication, social skills, problem-solving, and optimism. By creating a safe, healthy, and supportive environment, Ms. Frank motivates all students to engage in learning. The social and emotional well-being of our students is of the utmost importance. Thank you to Ms. Frank for all that you do for our students!
Student-Led Data Talks are this week on Wednesday, November 20th, at 6:00 pm. Parents and students, please join teachers, staff, and administration for this critical conference. This event is one that focuses on YOUR child's progress and growth. Although the Data Talks take place in the cafeteria, this is about YOUR child's learning. Ms. Ida Ward, Assistant Principal, and Mr. Rawlings Johnson, AA, will teach parents and students how to interpret Georgia Milestones scores, assessments, and grades. Student-Led Data Talks are perhaps the most instructional educational event of the year, and for this reason, I ask every Titan family to attend with their child.
Thank you for all that you do!
Elkins Pointe Middle School
"Every Day, Every Student, College & Career Bound: Go Titans!"
School Climate Survey Links:
The Georgia Parent Survey contains 24 questions. Parents may complete the survey using their personal computer, smartphone, or tablet. All parents are highly encouraged to participate in the Georgia Parent Survey because the data will be used as part of the calculation of the School Climate Star Rating.
Parent Survey: https://gshs.gadoe.org/parents
- Student Survey -Elementary (Grades 3-5): https://gshs.gadoe.org/elementary
- Student Survey -Middle (Grades 6-8): https://gshs.gadoe.org/middleschool
- Student Survey - High (Grades 9-12): https://gshs.gadoe.org/highschool
If you would like to keep track of our school's participation, click on the link below:
https://portal.doe.k12.ga.us/GSHSReports/. To view the student survey questions, and parent opt-out form, please use the link to the Georgia Student Health Survey webpage at https://www.gadoe.org/schoolsafetyclimate/GSHS-II/Pages/Georgia-Student-Health-Survey-II.aspx.
Night at the Symphony
Thank you to the Atlanta Symphony and Mr. Seth Gamba for arranging a Night at the Symphony. On November 9th, EPMS students and their families attended the ASO! This opportunity allowed families to hear one of America’s best orchestras perform some of history’s most excellent music. The program featured violinist James Ehnes performing Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto, and Dmitri Shostakovich's 15th Symphony. Following the performance, there was a specially arranged Q&A session for EPMS students and families only.
Salute to Our Veterans!
Thank you to Mrs. Ellen Walsh, Guidance Secretary, for arranging for Elkins Pointe Veterans, P.E. Teacher, George Eberhart, and School Resource Officer, Allen Jones, to be celebrated. Every Veterans Day, Mrs. Walsh organizes for business partners to provide lunch, gift cards, and a cake. Principal Bounds and the administration featured P.E. Coach Eberhardt on the Titan Morning News, after the Pledge of Allegiance. Sam’s Club provided the cake as a gift to our Vets.
Japanese Class Celebrates World Food Campaign
Titan Olympic Games
Journey to Your Dreams, Titans!
Jr. Beta Canned Food Drive Ends on Monday, November 18th
Help fill these empty crates with food for North Fulton Charities on Monday, November 18th.
The Jr. Beta Club is sponsoring a Canned Food Drive for North Fulton Charities. Each WINN class will have a collection bin until November 18th. Rewards will be given to the classes that collect the most food items. The first place is a Pizza Party, and second place is a Krispie Kreme Donut Party. Jr. Beta challenges each student to get their "CAN-CAN"s to their WINN class for the WIN!!
Thanksgiving Donations 2019 for North Fulton Charities (NFCC)
NFCC is in we need non-perishable food items for a Thanksgiving meal and grocery store gift cards in $25 increments. Last year, NFCC provided the makings for a Thanksgiving meal to nearly 500 families! Consider getting an item in each category for a family of four or buying several items in one category. Below is a grocery store list of suggested items:
- Canned Vegetables (Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Squash, Greens,..)
- Boxed or Bagged Potatoes and Rice (Mashed or Scalloped;
- White, Brown or Yellow Rice
- Boxed Pasta Mixes (Mac-n-Cheese, Side pasta mixes)
- Boxed or Bagged Stuffing Mixes (Cornbread, Herb, Plain)
- Bags of Flour, Cornmeal, Biscuit mixes
- Boxes of Baking Goods (Cake Mixes, Brownies, Pie makings, Cornbread)
- Cans of Gravy (Turkey, Chicken)
- Cans of Fruit (Apple, Cranberry, Cranberry Sauce, Pineapple, Applesauce, Peaches, etc.)
* NFCC asks that you please limit your donations to specific items for a Thanksgiving meal.
Pajama Program of Atlanta
Our Media Center is sponsoring the Pajama Program. Please help us donate brand new LONG-SLEEVED pajamas, Adult sizes for middle school teens or children's sizes 6-12 for elementary school (tags still attached) and brand-new books to the Pajama Program of Atlanta.
Drop off PJs & books in the MEDIA CENTER at Elkins Pointe from November 1st – December 1st. Mrs. Newman suggests any picture book, graphic novel, or short chapter book. Ms. Rickson suggests comfy warm PJs for boys or girls.
Our Media Specialist, Mrs. Newman, and Ms.Rickson would like to "Thank you so much for supporting students throughout Atlanta and in this community!"
THINGS TO KNOW
Basketball Interest Meetings - 11/19 for BOYS and 11/20 for GIRLS
Basketball Conditioning & Interest Session for Boys is on Tuesday, November 19th and for Girls is on Wednesday, November 20th from 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM in the Gym.
To participate in Basketball, students must be in 7th-grade or 8th-grade and complete the required FCS Athletic Forms:
Questions? Contact: Dr. Erika Edward (girls) or Mr. Dan Richal (boys)
Anime Art Exhibit - 11/19
Student Led Data Talks - 11/20
Join us on Wednesday, November 20th at 6 PM for the Student-Led Data Talks in the Elkins Pointe Cafeteria.
The purpose of this school-wide event is for students to share their data with parents. This event encourages students to take ownership of their learning. With the help of teachers, staff, and administration, parents and students will review progress, growth, grades, and attendance. We apologize for any inconvenience. We hope you will join us!
Spelling Bee - 11/21
The school-wide spelling bee will be held on Thursday, November 21st at 9:00 AM in the Media Center. Parents and family members are welcome to come to watch the spelling bee
Elkins Pointe Middle School students will participate in an in-class spelling bee in ELA classes on Monday, November 18 (and Tuesday, November 19 if needed). There will be one winner and one runner-up selected from each ELA class. The runner-up will only participate in the school-wide spelling bee if the class winner is not available to participate. The ELA teacher will confirm with all students who are participating in the spelling bee.
Students will be provided with a printed copy of the “Difficulty Level: Three Bee” words only, the recommended level for middle school students. However, the spelling bee word lists for all levels have been uploaded to students’ ELA class files in TEAMS for students who seek a challenge.
- Click HERE for "Word of the Champions" Key to the Spelling Bee
If students or parents have questions or concerns about the spelling bee, please address those with your child’s ELA teacher. Have a bee-utiful day! EPMS ELA Department
FCS Technology Competition - Register by 11/21
Get Ready, Techies! This year's FCS Technology Competition will be held on Saturday, December 14, 2019, at Centennial High School in Roswell, GA. For more information on all of the categories, check out the Technology Competition website by clicking HERE!
If you have a project and you would like to represent our school, please email Ms. Lindesay at Lindesay@fultonschools.org and schedule a time to see her show what you have created. Some of her classes are currently working on projects to see who has the best project. Ms. Lindesay is also available after school to assist and prep students to be judged when scheduled.
Only a limited number of participants can represent the grade levels in each category, so act fast to see if your project will get you on this year’s Titan Tech Team. This year's Titan Tech Team participants will be registered before the Thanksgiving Break in order to meet the county’s registration deadline.
Here is a list of the categories for the competition:
- 3-D Modeling
- Audio Production
- Device Modification
- Digital Game Design
- Digital Photo Production
- Graphic Design
- Internet Applications
- Mobile Apps
- Multimedia Applications
- Productivity Design
- Project Programming
- Tech Programming Challenge
- Video Production
Buy a Yearbook for $55 before 12/20!
HOLIDAY PHOTOCARD PROMOTION - November 18th through December 6th
When students purchase a yearbook online at www.jostens.com/holidayspecial, they’ll additionally receive 20 FREE Holiday Photo Cards ($25 value). They will receive a promotional code in their yearbook email receipt with instructions on how to order their FREE cards. They will have from November 18th through January 31st to go online and redeem their FREE photo card promotional code. The holiday card website link for ordering will be provided in their email receipt.
** Yearbooks are $55 each now, but they will be $60 after Dec. 20th.
Yearbook @ EPMS Asks for BFF Pictures!
We are also accepting pictures of best friends who didn't know each other when they were younger, but are inseparable now.
Transition Meetings for 8th Grade Parents & Families - 12/3 & 12/5
* Save the Date and Don't Be Late! We cover a lot of information, and we will be starting promptly at 6 PM!
** 8th Orchestra parents who have a child playing at Roswell High School on Tuesday, December 3rd, please click HERE.
SAVE THE DATE for the Invention Convention STEM Night - 12/11
Question: What is an Invention Convention STEM Night?
Answer: This NEW to the school event will be jointly run by the 6th grade Science Department and the PTSA!
Here are some of the awesome activities planned!
1) INVENTION CONVENTION: Inventions from 6th grade science classes will be on display in the cafeteria. Inventions will be judged during the school day, but the awards will be issued at the event.
2) STEM STATIONS: We will have different stations for guests to participate in STEM activities:
- Math-Estimation Table
- STEM activities with Q-Tips and Aluminum Foil
- An Eiffel Tower Building Challenge with Pipe Cleaners
- Designing cars with cards, mints, balloons, straws, tape - Then rest in a racetrack
- Catapults- marshmallow launchers... have a starting line for the launcher and see whose goes the farthest
- Rock quarry challenge to invent a device that will lift a rock out of a quarry
- "ProBot" racecars with LifeSaver wheels
- Squishy Circuits uses playdough to create circuits
- Magnatizes circuit boards using Little Bits
- 3D Doodler and 3D printing pen
- Stop-Motion Video with iPads
- Greenscreen Station
3) RAFFLE - RAFFLE - RAFFLE!!! The BIG Prize is a Tello EDU Drone to raffle at STEM night. All proceeds go to 6th grade TAG science.
4) REFRESHMENTS: PTSA will be providing food items to give our STEM-goers fuel for their brains!
Thank You for Turning in Box Tops
EPMS will receive a check for nearly $85 thanks to everyone who submitted Box Tops. Keep sending them in! And, remember to download the Box Tops app and scan your receipts to earn money that way.
Eventually, the Box Tops program will become digital-only. Participating brands are starting to change their packaging from a traditional Box Tops clip to the new Box Top label.
If you see this label, use the new Box Tops app to scan your receipt. Box Tops are still worth 10¢ each for the school.
The app will find participating products purchased at any store and instantly add cash to our earnings online. It adds up fast!
- Box Tops App on Apple store: https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1150038564
- Box Tops App Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmills.btfe
You are invited!
Fa-La-La-La-La-La....Please Come to Support Our Business Partners!
This event is hosted by Elkins Pointe PTSA business partners. This invitation has been extended to our Elkins Pointe parents.
Support the Milton Band Poinsettia Fundraiser! Use the link to order online!
Order Online Link:
PLAY-OFF TICKETS @ THE HIGH SCHOOLS
- 12/3 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (English)
- 12/5 - Rising 9th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6 p.m. (Spanish)
- 12/10 - Band Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m. ALL grades
- 12/11 - Katha Stuart Meeting: VMES @ 9:30 a.m.
- 12/12 - Chorus Holiday Concert @ EPMS 6:30 p.m.
- 12/12 - Spelling Bee @ 9 a.m.
- 12/20 - Lost & Found donated at end of the school day
- 12/20 - Last Day of First Semester
- 12/23 to 12/31 – Winter Break (schools closed)