Verbum Dei Community Newsletter
Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.#ThisSchoolWorks
In a spirit of gratitude, we celebrate with family and friends.
We give thanks for those who are good to us.
We give thanks for those who were there to comfort
during trying situations.
And we give thanks for those
who remind us of your presence.
On this Thanksgiving Day, as we give thanks
for the light of your love, help us to be mindful
of those who will need us tomorrow.
We are grateful to Mrs. Park for her commitment to the students and families of Verbum Dei!
Please take a moment to read her email to parents below:
I hope you are all having a wonderful week! I’m writing to you today concerning my time at Verbum Dei.
As you may have heard from your students, this will be my last week. I wanted to take the time to personally express my gratitude to you, and to share with you why I have made my decision.
Growing up, I never imagined I would become a high school teacher, and as I began my time at Verbum Dei I felt nervous and excited. I did not know if teaching would be the right career path for me, nor if I would be any good at it. Today, I am filled with certainty about one thing – that my time with you and the students has been a huge blessing.
I have been struggling with my health, and have spent many moments fighting through my symptoms to serve you and your students this semester. As the semester went on, I began to realize that despite the constant pain and fatigue I was experiencing, I was falling in love with teaching. My love for this craft was made possible by the amazing students, and you, their parents.
Thank you for having been such a pivotal presence in my life. I can only hope and pray that I have paid my experience forward to our students. I will be stepping out of my position to put my health first, but I will do all I can to set the students up for success for the remainder of the Fall semester, and I am confident the faculty and staff at Verbum Dei will do the same.
Faculty VS. Students for Free Dress!!!
If you have completed any of the actions below, stop by Campus Ministry to sign your name! The first group, faculty or staff, that get Bingo will win!
- Write a thank you note/ email to a Faculty/staff
2. Write a thank you note/ email to their CWSP driver
3. Eat lunch with a teacher
4. Write a kind note to a Verb student in another grade
5. Perform a random act of kindness (helpful Honda)
6. Attend Thursday mass after school
7. Read an article from Present Dei and make a comment
8. Attend freshmen Basketball game
9. Attend JV Basketball game
10. Attend Varsity Basketball game
11. Attend JV Soccer game
12. Attend Varsity soccer game
13. No HW JUG for two consecutive weeks
14. No lunch JUG for two consecutive weeks
15. Sign happy birthday to a student whose birthday was announced during morning announcements
16. Tutor after school
17. Support the can drive
18. Show school spirit
19. Wear college sweatshirt
20. Recommend Faculty/Staff for Faculty/Staff of the Month
21. Make teacher laugh
22. Assigned corridor clean for 2 consecutive weeks
23. House selfie
24. Give a teacher a complement
25. Read and “like” Dr. Odom’s newsletters
26. Comment something nice on Verb’s IG
27. Go to church on Sunday (send a selfie to Ms. Chambers or Dr. Odom)
28. Participate in the church service on Sunday (send a selfie to Ms. Chambers or Dr. Odom)
29. Attend Mass after school
30. Recite the Suscipe to Theology teachers by memory
31. Score an “A” on a test
32. Use resource center for minimum of 1-hr
33. Complete extra Christian Service Hours
Eagles Kick Off the Season with Wins on All Levels
JV and Varsity Soccer vs. Boco Tech TODAY at 1:30pm and 3pm @ Bosco Tech
Basketball and Soccer Schedules are here!!!!
See you at the nest!
Class of 2020 SAT Prep course starts January 7
The Grad at Grad is a list of six characteristics that all Jesuit, Cristo Rey schools hope their graduates will embody. For Verbum Dei, this list represents the overall goals of our academic, athletic, and spiritual programs.