The Warrior Wire
Brook Haven Middle School, September 2019 Edition
Way to start the year, Warriors!
We know the construction adds to the difficulty of drop off & pick up. Thank you for your patience and planning as we get used to the changes this year. We've seen a huge increase in bikes and skateboards this year. Active transportation is great, but everyone needs to remember traffic safety laws. Helmets are required! Please remind your student to use the crosswalks and remember that bike riders need to stop at stop signs too!
In an effort to increase safety on campus, we are asking students to enter and leave school from the front of the campus. Gates on the field and blacktop will be locked. Unfortunately, we've seen a significant increase in vandalism and damage happening overnight and on the weekends that needs to be cleaned up each morning. We are hoping to cut down on unnecessary public access.
As we get the year underway, it is obvious that our families and community members rallying around us make BHS a wonderful place to work and learn. We are all thankful for your continued support!
Good Sleep = Success
Parents & Guardians,
Now that school is finally underway and we are shaking off the relaxing life habits of our summers, it is very important for us to understand and support our young people with one of the #1 contributors to school and social/emotional success, GOOD RESTFUL SLEEP.
A lack of sleep can affect;
· Emotional stability
· Focus, Concentration, Multi-tasking and Memory
· Appetite can increase substantially
· Insulin processes can be disrupted
· Eye health can deteriorate
Good practices that support good restful sleep are;
· Regular scheduled bedtimes and awakenings (even weekends)
· No light or noise in the sleeping space during sleep
· Stopping screen-based media 1 hour before sleep
· Selecting good textures for bedding
· Adjusting sleep temperatures to 68 degrees
Understanding and supporting our students with the basic, but extremely essential GOOD, RESTFUL SLEEP can be one of the greatest tools for their success at home and at school. Please click on the selected resources to learn more.
Eric Dick, School Psychologist
Read A Thon
Students have been working hard, reading and collecting pledges from family and friends all week! As of today, we are at $1,055 - Park Side & $1,030 - Brook Haven. That's $2085 toward our goal of 10K. Please continue to encourage your students to read, read, read and collect those pledges!
This money directly supports our school's music, art, field trips, sports, special class projects and more!
Remember students will earn 1 raffle ticket for every 20 minutes logged or $10 pledged!
**Prizes include, gift cards to Copperfield's Book Store, Gryphon's Nest Comics & Gaming, Screamin Mimi's and more!
SEF Sets the Stage for the Year Ahead!
Hello Brook Haven Families!
SEF is busy planning the 2019-2020 school year’s fundraising events that support Brook Haven and Park Side! Check out the list of what you’ll see coming up. We are changing up the venues for our SEF meetings, holding them at local breweries and restaurants. We invite you to come on out to meet the Board, other SEF supporters, and see how you can help! Questions? Email email@example.com.
SEF wishes you and your student a successful school year!
SEF Events 2019-2020:
● Read-a-thon: Going on now!
● Round Table Dine & Donate benefiting 4th grade Ft. Ross overnight: Sept.25
● Mombo’s Dine & Donate benefiting 6th grade Outdoor Education: Oct. 23
● Kozlowski Pie Sales: Beginning mid-Oct.
● Muertos Halloween Carnival @ Park Side: Oct. 25, 5-8 pm
● SEF Board meeting @ Location TBA: Nov. 19, 6-8 pm
● SEF Board meeting @Location TBA: Jan. 21, 6-8 pm
● 2nd Annual SEF Gala: Feb. 22
● Popcornopolis Sale: Beginning mid-March
● SEF Board meeting @ Location TBA: April 21, 6-8 pm
● Brook Haven Color Run: May 14
● Park Side Color Run: May 15
● SEF Board meeting/Elections/Thank you Reception @ Location TBA: June 2, 6-8 pm