BCA December Newsletter
Save the Date: Capstone Symposium
Thursday, Dec. 12th, 6:30pm
Most likely to succeed
Calla Shotwell and Emma Hickerson
Most attractive and Most intellectual
Celina Williams and Jeffrey Wilson
Outstanding Leadership and Most intellectual
BCA Speaker Series: A Conversation with Ben Smithson, Tuesday, Dec. 3 during Impact
Ben Smithson is a Blackman High Class of 2006 alumnus. He attended Tennessee Technological University College of Engineering and graduated in May 2010 with a BS degree in Manufacturing and Industrial Technology with minor in Business.
He is currently growing his own business, Smithson Speed and Engineering, focusing on building, restoring, and maintaining classic cars using skills such as project planning, vehicle design and engineering, metal fabrication, circuits and wiring, bodywork, and other mechanical aptitude and technical skills.
His previous work experience includes project management at Destaco, production engineer at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, process engineer at Nissan North America-Smyrna, process engineer at Walker Die Casting, Inc. and two summer internships at the Goodrich Corporation during the 2008 and 2009 seasons. He is developing a promising career in the manufacturing field.
He will be discussing his life at Blackman High, how it influenced his career, and what it takes to make it in his industry.
Here is an article from Motor Trend magazine.
Here is another article from Scottie TV: http://www.scottiedtv.com/1932-chevrolet-hot-rod-street-rod-nationals-south-plus-2014/
Here is a video of his car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--6sezVTsf
December Heart Healthy Message
It’s the most wonderful time of the year and possibly the busiest too. Mid-year testing, holiday programs, family events, and much more can zap your energy and your willpower. The next thing you know, you’re stress-eating sweets in the teachers’ lounge. Yikes! Is there a way to have a happy, heart-healthy holiday season? You bet, and it’s easier than it sounds.
Research has shown that walking at least 30 minutes a day can help you: Reduce your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke, Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile, Maintain your body weight and lower the risk of obesity, Enhance your mental well-being, Reduce your risk of osteoporosis, and Reduce your risk on of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes.
BCA Scholarship Opportunities
Class of 2019 BCA students will have the opportunity to apply for two scholarships:
- BHS will award one $500 scholarship to an outstanding BCA student.
- MTSU will award one $500 scholarship to an outstanding BCA student enrolling in MTSU.
Applications and deadlines to be announced.
Register online at actstudent.org. The Blackman High School code is 431636.
Life Experience & Extra-Curricular Activities
Students must complete 40 hours of real-life experience in the area of his/her major. The experience must be approved by the faculty board. This experience can be completed any year but must be completed by April of the senior year. Click here for more information about life experience on the BCA website.
You can now report your extra-curricular hours online. Click here to find more information on extra-curricular hours and the link to report your hours. Fill out the form for each separate activity you complete and click submit. We will verify the hours each nine weeks with the club sponsor or coach.
- Freshmen: Honors English I, Honors Biology, and Honors World History or AP Human Geography (must be enrolled in at least 2)
- Sophomores: Honors English II, Honors Algebra II or Advanced Honors Geometry, and Honors Chemistry (must be enrolled in at least 2)
- Juniors: AP English III, AP U.S. History or Dual Enrollment U.S. History, and Speech or Critical Thinking
- Seniors: Speech or Critical Thinking (if not already taken) and Capstone
Blackman Collegiate Academy Standards
Visit the BCA website for information on the following standards:
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Academic Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Behavior Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Extra Curricular Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Events Attendance Standards
Do you have BCA questions? Here’s who to contact:
- Extra Curricular - Mr. Green: email@example.com
- Life-Experience - Mrs. Noffsinger: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Speaker Series - Mr. Seadorf: email@example.com
- Academics - Mrs. Waite firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communications -
- Events/recognition - Mrs. Dabney: email@example.com
- Capstone - Mrs. Baumann - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dual Enrollment - Mrs. Wilder- email@example.com
- Admissions- Ms. Bryan - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parent Organization - Kristie Farrington - email@example.com
- General information - Mr. Reed: firstname.lastname@example.org