East Asia

Made by Nicole and Brandon

History of the Region

Centuries ago, China was governed by emperors and emperesses. Also, dynasties, which were a line of families that would hold power until they were overthrown, would rule over China. The first dynasty to leave written records was the Shang, who took power in 1600 B.C.


Powerful dynasties expanded China's territories, spread culuture, and grew trade. In the 200s B.C., the Han dynasty United all of China and began to build the Great Wall. This was to keep foreign invaders out of their region.


The first laws were created under the Zhou dynasty, which was also the time for breast thinkers. Confucius and Laozi were a some great thinkers at the time. 202 B.C. - 220 B.C. had a huge impact on China. Arts and science flourished, paper making was invented, and rulers encouraged trade along the Silk Road. Goods like silk, tea, spices, paper, and porcelain was exchanged for wool, gold, and silver.

Physical Features of East Asia

One of the major landforms is a vast plateau called the Tibetan plateau. It rises about 13,000 to 15,000 feet in the air. It also has an area of 965,000 square miles, which is bigger than the entirety of Mexico which is 761,600 square miles.
Big image
Mount Kinabalu is the highest mountain in all of east Asia. It about half the size of Mt. Everest.

China

China is the largest country in east Asia. It also has a long intriguing history, as well as diverse culture. The many different, traditions, beliefs, and literature have helped create many different groups. Some Chinese painters have even started painting the landscapes surrounding some areas as an art form.
Big image
Calligraphy is the art of writing. It is a famous type of art in China and Japan.

The Spring festival

Also one of there famous holidays is the spring festival. The spring festival is similar to Christmas, having People come back to the family homes with there family making it the busiest for transportation systems. The spring festival originated from the Shang dynasty at the end of the older year to a new one.
Big image

Religion and Beliefs

Four major religions in this region are Taoism, Confucianism, Shinto, and Buddhism.

Daily Life

Big image
Many people in East Asia live in crowded or rural areas. Throughout much of history, China has been heavily populated. Things such as the "one-child rule" or epidemics have slowed their growth, but even now, the population is still high.


Today, nearly half the population live in cities. The heritage of these areas have been shaped and changed by contributions from different ethnic groups. In China, the Han ethnic group makes up about 92 percent of the population. The other 8 percent belong to more than 50 different ethnic groups.


Many of the languages vary from Mandarin Chinese to English, based upon the area of the region.