Small Group Instruction in PK3
Why should you provide small group instruction in PK3?
Small group time is an important part of the PK3 day! It is the activity where children receive the most academic benefit. Small group lessons are an opportunity for the teacher to spend focused instructional time with small numbers of students who need support in specific skills. This also includes social and emotional learning. Because PK3 children spend most of their time in free choice activities/centers, it is an ideal time for teachers to work with small groups.
Building Language During Small Group Activities
- Small group time increases the quality and quantity of conversations that the teacher has with the students.
- Teachers have more opportunities to provide children with feedback that expands their learning and understanding.
- During small group time, teachers have more opportunities to encourage continued participation with a student.
The Role of the Teaching Assistant During Small Groups
- Handle behavior issues in the classroom,
- Help children with specific needs,
- Answer questions for the children,
- Take care of any other needs to allow the teacher to focus on his/her small group of children.