After completing this unit you should be able to:
- Add numbers containing decimals.
- Subtract numbers containing decimals.
- Multiply numbers containing decimals.
- Divide numbers containing decimals.
Adding and Subtracting Decimals!
ADDING AND SUBTRACTING!
Addition and subtraction of decimals is like adding and subtracting whole numbers. The only thing we must remember is to line up the place values correctly. The easiest way to do that is to line up the decimal points.
In this section we will provide a few examples to remind you of the procedure for adding and subtracting decimals. Look at the examples below, and then read through the detailed examples.
DIVIDING AND MULTIPLYING DECIMALS!
Multiplying decimals is the same as multiplying two whole numbers. You just need to remember the following:
- If there is one digit after the decimal point in the question, there will be one digit after the decimal point in the answer.
- If there are two digits after the decimal point in the question, there will be two digits after the decimal point in the answer etc.
When dividing a decimal by a whole number, divide as usual but keep the decimal points aligned.