Ferndale Middle Parent Update
August 8 - August 12
From the Desk of Our Proud Principal
Good Evening Trojan Parents!
This is Mrs. Kinard, your proud principal, with a longer-than-usual back-to-school message. First, we would like to welcome all of our new and returning Trojans. We hope you had a great summer and are ready for a fantastic school year.
Please join us for our Open House and Title I Night Thursday, August 11, 2022.
Come out and get Title I information, your student's schedule, and some back-to-school treats. We will have music, snow cones, popcorn, as well as giveaways.
- 6th graders will report from 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm for Open House.
- 7th and 8th graders will report for Open House from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm.
Ferndale Middle School operates on the GCS Restart Calendar and our students return to school Monday, August 15, 2022.
FMS School Day: 8:20 a.m. – 3:20 p.m.
Scholars cannot be dropped off before 8:00 am and must be picked up by 3:40 pm for the safety and supervision of all students. Staff are not on duty to supervise students before 8:00, so students cannot be dropped off before that time.
First Day Arrival to School:
- All car riders must be dropped off in the front circle daily. Please do not drop students off on Ferndale Blvd. or Chestnut St., as both provide safety concerns for our students.
- 6th-grade scholars will enter through Tower D and report to the small gym (main level).
- 7th and 8th-grade scholars will enter through the Gym entrance and report to the large gym (lower level).
All scholars will be released from these two locations. There will be staff on duty to help escort students to class.
As a district and school, we are taking every precaution to ensure the continued safety of our students. Here's how you can help:
- If your student is sick, please keep them at home. Our teachers will be updating assignments on Canvas. Students experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should stay home and get a test for COVID-19 on day five.
- If you suspect or confirm that your student has COVID-19, please report it immediately by contacting the school at 336-819-2855 or emailing our data manager Ms. Pierce.
Rising 7th Grade Immunization Requirement
If you’re the parent of a rising seventh-grade, please don’t forget to check one important requirement off your list before the new school year starts on August 15th, 2022.
Seventh-graders are required by state law to get an updated Tdap vaccination if five or more years have passed since their last dose. They are also required to have an MCV vaccine. Your student will be asked to show proof of having the Tdap shot and MCV shot when they start school in August. If they don’t get the vaccine and show documentation of it, schools are required by law to suspend them.
Please remember these requirements as you check off your list of the many other things your family will do to get ready for the new school year. It’s just as important as getting your child’s class schedule and shopping for school supplies, so don’t wait to make an appointment.
Tdap & MCV are available at your family doctor’s office or by appointment at the Guilford County Department of Public Health offices. Call 336-641-3245 to schedule an appointment. Offices are located at 1100 E. Wendover Avenue, Greensboro and 501 E. Green Drive, High Point.
2022 - 2023 FMS Administrative Team
Each member of our administrative team is responsible for supporting a specific grade level.
- Ms. Wilson - 6th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Russell - 7th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Garnett - 8th Grade Administrator
Ms. Kinard - FMS Building Principal
The school dress code will be strictly enforced.
Here are some of the highlights of our policy:
For more information please review the FMS Student Handbook.
We believe our scholars are capable of excellence, and we will hold them to a high standard for academics and behavior.
We are preparing our students for greatness, starting with academics, a positive attitude, and appropriate behavior as described in the GCS Code of Conduct and the FMS Student Handbook.
This year, GCS is going digital with its student handbook. The handbook is located online at www.gcsnc.com under Quick Links. It is also on our school's webpage under the student tab.