City Schools CONNECT 12.6.22
December 6, 2022
December 6, 2022
- Latest News
- Great news!
- Middle and High School Choice Application
- Charter Choice Fair
- Inclement weather virtual learning feedback
- Arts Education Town Hall
- Holiday performances at North Avenue
- Ribbon-cuttings for two new school buildings
- Budget feedback sessions
- Pregnant and Parenting Resource Fair
- Mayors tree lighting ceremony
- Junior Achievement 18 Under 18
- YouthWorks applications
- Upcoming Events and Dates
- Progress Report
There are great things happening in City Schools every day!
Middle and High School Choice Application
The Middle and High School Choice application is now available to complete on Campus Portal. If your student needs assistance using Campus Portal, please contact your student's School Choice Liaison at their school. There are so many great schools and programs to choose from!
The School Choice applications are due on January 20, so don't wait! Fill out the application today!
Charter Choice Fair
Join the Maryland Alliance of Public Charter Schools for the Charter Choice Fair on Saturday, December 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Creative City Public Charter School (2810 Shirley Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215).
For more information, visit mdcharters.org/charter-choice-fairs
Inclement weather virtual learning feedback
City Schools is seeking public feedback on its proposed plan to support virtual learning during inclement weather days in line with MSDE’s approach and the district’s School Closure Policy. The district encourages all stakeholders to review the Executive Summary here and sign up for public comment during two Board of School Commissioners meetings in December.
For more information, and to sign up for public comment, click HERE.
Arts Education Town Hall
Join Dr. Santelises for a town hall to learn about Baltimore City's Fine Arts Strategic Plan and what access to arts education looks like across the district. Hear testimonies from students, parents and City Schools alumni. The event will take place on December 7, from 5 to 7 p.m. at Baltimore Unity Hall (1505 Eutaw Place, Baltimore, MD 21217) and will be hosted by Jason Newton of WBAL-TV.
Ribbon-cuttings for two new school buildings
We are so excited to celebrate the opening of two new school buildings for Highlandtown #237 and Montebello! Join us for ribbon-cutting ceremonies for each of these schools next week:
Budget feedback sessions
Planning for the 2023-24 school year budget is underway. The first step in the process is to hear from families about what you value and what you want to see at your schools.
Join district leadership to share your thoughts about what we should invest in for next year at an upcoming meeting. The virtual meeting scheduled for December 15 at 6:30 p.m. will have a focus on families and community partners. Please click HERE for more information.
Every school will also host Priority Engagement Sessions to gather input about the school's priorities as the school leader works on developing their budget for next year. A list of school-based Priority Engagement Sessions can be found here.
Pregnant and Parenting Resource Fair
Join the City Schools Re-Engagement Center for "Pregnant and Parenting" a student resource fair for expecting parents on Friday, December 16 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Excel Academy (1001 Saratoga Street, Baltimore, MD 21223). This event is open to all City Schools students that are expecting parents.
Junior Achievement 18 Under 18
Do you know a student who stands out as a leader or change-maker in their community?
Nominate them for Junior Achievement's upcoming 18 Under 18 class! Winners will be featured in the May 2023 issue of Baltimore magazine and acknowledged at an event on May 10, 2023.
Nominations close December 16, 2022 and can be submitted HERE
This week we celebrate...
Many of our schools are participating in the Hour of Code event this week as part of Computer Science Education Week. The Hour of Code is a global movement seeking to break down the barriers to widespread computer science education in schools. Participating classes typically lead an hour-long coding challenge for students intended to highlight how exciting coding can be! Learn more about the Hour of Code in City Schools.
- 7: Woodhome Elementary/Middle School Open House - 9 a.m.
- 7: ACCE Open House - 4 p.m.
- 7: Arts Education Town Hall - 5 p.m.
- 7: Vivien T. Thomas Medical Arts Academy Open House - 5:30 p.m.
- 8: Forest Park High School Open House - 5 p.m.
- 8: Coppin Academy Open House - 6:30 p.m.
- 8: Bard High School Early College Virtual Open House - 7 p.m.
- 12: SECAC meeting - 5 p.m.
- 13: Public Board Meeting - 5 p.m. (Watch HERE)
- 13: Lillie May Carroll Jackson Charter School Open House - 5 p.m.
- 13: Francis Scott Key Elementary/ Middle School Open House - 7 p.m.
- 14: Early release day
- 14: Reginald F. Lewis High School Open House - 8:30 a.m.
- 14: Highlandtown Elementary/ Middle School Ribbon Cutting - 2:30 p.m.
- 14: Budget forum (Youth) - 2:30 p.m.
- 14: Budget forum (General session focused on staff) - 5:30 p.m.
- 15: Hampden Elementary/ Middle School Open House - 7:45 a.m.
- 15: Digital Harbor High School Open House - 4:30 p.m.
- 15: Montebello Elementary/Middle School Open House - 4:30 p.m.
- 15: Dr. Nathan A. Pitts- Ashburton Open House - 5 p.m.
- 15: Green Street Academy Open House - 5 p.m.
- 15: The Mount Washington School Open House - 5 p.m.
- 15: Budget forum (General session focused on families) - 5:30 p.m.
- 15: Baltimore City College High School Open House - 6 p.m.
- 15: Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women Open House - 6 p.m.
- 15: City Neighbors High School Open House - 6 p.m.
- 15: PCAB District Budget Priorities meeting - 6:30 p.m.
- 20: Operations Committee Meeting - 10:30 a.m.
- 20: Policy Committee Meeting - 3:30 p.m.
- 21: Budget forum (for multilingual families) - 4:30 p.m.
- 23: Winter break: Schools and offices closed
Find more information for...
Complaints/ Concerns: 410-545-1870
Special Education Parent Response Unit: 443-984-1561