Kindergarten's Weekly Newsletter - Issue 17
CURRICULUM NEWS for December 18th - 22nd
WORD WALL WORDS:
- in, get, some
- Noticing capital letters, spaces, ending punctuation in a sentence
- Identifying nonfiction text features (photographs, captions, table of contents, labels, etc.)
- Recalling important information from a non-fiction text
- Distinguishing between fiction & nonfiction text
- 6 Star Sentences - makes sense, has detail, capital letter at the beginning, punctuation, spaces between words, spelling
- 2-D Shapes & their attributes - circle, triangle, rectangle, square (special retangle)
- Science Exploration: S.T.E.A.M Stations & Science Tools Stations
- Social Skills Lesson: Kind words & actions
The Sentence Song
Important Dates to Remember
Thursday, December 21st - Class Winter Party/ Early Release at 11:45
*Remember to send a sack lunch with your child on this day unless you are signing out early
Friday, December 22nd - Friday, December 5th - Winter Break
*Students will return on Monday, January 8th*
12 Days of Holiday Spirit
We hope you will continue to join us in participating in The 12 Days of Holiday Spirit!
Below is a list of the themes for next week.
Monday, December 18th – Grinch Day! Wear something green!
Tuesday, December 19th – Ugly Sweater Day!
Wednesday, December 20th – Jingle Bell Day! Wear small jingle bells!
Thursday, December 21st – Santa Hat Day!
Winter Party Festivities!
When: Thursday, December 21st @ 9:15 - 10:15am
Where: WIndsong Elementary Cafeteria
Who: Parents & Students
*This day is an early release day. Students will be released at 11:45*
Lost & Found
The Lost & Found is overflowing with items. If your child is missing a coat, lunch box, etc., please check out The Windsong Lost & Found. It is located on the back/ left hand corner of the cafeteria.
If possible, please write your child's first and last name on his/ her belongings. This will help in ensuring that the item finds its way back to its owner.
Listen to the nonfiction text below.
Have your child:
1. Find nonfiction text features (photographs, labels, titles, etc.)
2. Write 2 facts you learned about rabbits.
*Make sure your sentence makes sense, has spaces between words, and punctuation at the end.
Monday - Practice identifying 2-D shapes. Player one will draw one of the following shapes (circle, triangle, rectangle, square). Player two will identify the shape and name two attributes (ex: a triangle has 3 vertices and 3 sides). Then switch. Continue until all shapes have been identified.
Tuesday - Practice drawing & identifying 2-D shapes. Player one will ask player two to draw a shape (circle, triangle, rectangle, square/ special rectangle). Then switch. Continue until all shapes have been drawn.
Wednesday - Go on a shape hunt inside your house! Find as many 2-D shapes as you can. Record what you find using tally marks. Which shape did you find the most? Which shape did you find the least?
Thursday - No homework. Have a great Winter Break!
*Challenge - Complete homework each night and add a piece of writing.
Write a sentence to match the daily activity - A circle has no vertices and no sides.