The Titan Times: Week 10
The River Place Elementary (RPE) Campus Newsletter
In this Edition:
- Message from the Principal
- Mark Your Calendars, October Highlights, and Links to District and Lunch Calendars
- Growing a Titan Mindset and Connection Every Day!
- Leander ISD Opportunities & Upcoming Election Information: Leander ISD Props A & B
- Counselor's Connection Info & Message
- Ways to Stay Engaged & Volunteer for Upcoming Events
This week we are putting the spotlight on our transportation crew. Troy, Rosa, Daniel, Yvette, and Rachel are our staff who take care of our Titans who ride the bus to and from school. We extend a warm thanks to them and hope you will spend this week getting to know them more and find ways to show gratitude for their service to our community.
There a few things going on in our community this week. Tonight, Vandegrift High School is hosting a Trunk or Treat from 5:30- 7:30 PM at their front parking lot. We are also celebrating Unity Day by wearing orange on October 19th. To learn more about Unity Day, click here. During Run Club, your Titan(s) learned this information and more on how to work together to show unity for kindness, acceptance, and inclusion. Friday night from 5:30-7:30 PM our PTA is hosting a Fall Fest/ Trunk-or-Treat event. Come out and celebrate the season at this free event. There will be inflatables, a petting zoo, and many other fun activities with food available for purchase. It is not too late to volunteer or donate candy. We hope to see you out and about this week in our community!
In an effort to create educational awareness about the November ballot, Leander ISD is hosting a series of conversations. Superintendent Bruce Gearing, Ed.D., will lead a discussion about Propositions A & B over the next several weeks ahead of the November 8 election. Due to sizable recent increases in property appraisals across our region, the district’s property values have reached a point that has triggered two elections: an Attendance Credit Election (ACE) and a Voter-Approval Tax Rate Election (VATRE). The district encourages the community at-large to learn more about these ballot issues during the following opportunities:
Wednesday, Oct. 19 – 6:30pm, Facebook LIVE
Friday, Oct. 21 – 12pm at LISD LEO Conference Center
Please use this link Let’s Learn with Bruce: Elections to let LISD know you’re attending. While sign-up is not required, it helps them plan for how many participants to expect.
We hope to see you partake in all or some of the things going on this week. Either way, let's make it a week full of striving and thriving in our community. Please feel free to reach out if you wish to connect, collaborate, and/or celebrate.
Dr. Amy Sharp
Proud RPE Principal
Mark Your Calendars
October: Persons with Disabilities History and Awareness Month/ National Principal Month
- 18th Vandegrift High School Trunk or Treat (See flyer)
- 19th Unity Day- Wear Orange!
- 21st PTA Hosts River Place Elementary's Fall Fest 5:30- 7:30 PM
- 22nd Vandegrift High School Little Diggers (See flyer)
- 24th- 28th Red Ribbon Week. (See flyer)
- 25th- Elementary Night Football Game: FPMS v. CRMS @ 6 PM (See flyer)
- 31st 5th Grade Performance for Parents 8 AM (link to RSVP will post next week)
- 31st- November 4 Instructional Coach Appreciation Week
November: Lung Cancer Awareness Month/ National Native American Month
- 2nd: Spelling Bee (Info Coming) & K-5 Wild Flower Stomp (See Info)
- 3rd: Father of Texas Day, Memory of Stephen F. Austin
- 7th- 11th Maintenance Appreciation Week/ LSSP Appreciation Week
- 8th: Election Day/ No School for Students
- 9th: PTA General Meeting at 6 PM at RPE Cafeteria
- 10th: Grades 3-5 Fall Planting in the Garden (See Info)
- 11th: Veterans Day: Second Grade Performance (Info Coming)
- 14th-18th Assistant Principal Appreciation Week
- 15-17th: Scholastic Book Fair (Info Coming)
- 15th: Thanksgiving Feast at RPE (See Info Below)
- 21-25th: Fall Break- No school for staff and students
- 29th: Fall Picture Make Up Day
This details the entire school year's student holidays, staff development days, early release, etc.
If you are a family who needs support with purchasing Titan gear, please reach out to our school counselor, Ms. Jennifer Randall, at firstname.lastname@example.org
MUST KNOWS FOR THE COMMUNITY
Fall Garden Events
Our first fall events are right around the corner and we need your help! The annual Wildflower Stomp will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 2 and fall planting for grades 3-5 will take place on Thursday, Nov. 10. If you're able, please sign up for an open time slot, or feel free to join us for any time you have available - the more the merrier!
Leander ISD: School of Choice Option Still Offered
Lunch Visitor Reminders
Parents, just a reminder that if someone is coming to school to lunch with your student:
1. They must be on the contact list or we must have an email stating they are allowed to have lunch with the student on that particular day.
2. They must present a valid ID when checking in at the front desk.
Contacts can be updated through Home Access Center and emails may be sent to Natasha Lewis at email@example.com.
Car Rider Arrival & Dismissal Reminders
Car Rider Arrival
- Please remember that the street in front of our school becomes ONE WAY during arrival (7:05 - 8:00am) & dismissal times (2:20-3:00pm).
- During this time the traffic in front of our school on Sitio Del Rio Blvd should flow one way ONLY--traffic entering from River Place Blvd. and driving towards FM 2222.
- If parking in the parking lot in front of our school for drop off or pick up during these times, you should follow the flow of traffic, making a LEFT turn as you exit the parking area.
Car Rider Dismissal
In order to speed up the line and distance students more effectively, we have a 2-lane pick-up system.
- Kinder - 2nd (and families who have a K-2 student and a 3-5 student)- Enter car rider via River Place Blvd & stay in the left lane. These children will be picked up under the awning like they currently are. If they have a sibling in an older grade, the older sibling will also get picked up here. After pick up, they will turn left like always, and exit out the back of the school. A teacher will be posted to help you merge.
- 3rd - 5th- Enter car rider via Sitio Del Rio stay & stay in the right lane. Your students will be picked up on the field side of the blacktop (passenger side of the car). You will then continue straight and exit out the back of the school.
- Teachers will be placed along the route directing and helping merge as well.
If you have any questions, please call our offices. Thank you!
Proposition A & B Elections
The ballot for this November’s elections will include two Leander ISD propositions.
Proposition A is an Attendance Credit Election. Due to an increase in local property values, the state is removing about $31.2 million from our district through a mechanism that is often called Robin Hood. If LISD voters approve Proposition A, the district will make its required recapture payment to the state. If Proposition A fails, the state could remove dollars from our schools by forcing some taxpayers to start paying taxes to a different district instead of LISD.
Proposition B is a Voter-Approval Tax Rate Election. By approving Proposition B, voters would ratify the tax rate set by the LISD Board of Trustees and generate an additional $32 million for academics in LISD, including teacher pay and the continuity of programs.
For much more information about these propositions, please visit LeanderISD.org/elections.
A 6-week program designed to help parents nurture responsible, respectful, fun-to-be around children who will learn how to make their own choices, think critically/logically for themselves, while parents let empathy and consequences do the teaching.
C2 Shirts Update
We are expecting to have our C2 t-shirts ready to distribute on Thursday, October 26th. For each family who placed an order, those shirts will be delivered to their teacher's classrooms for them to take home. If there is a delay in the printing or a schedule modification parents will be notified. We do not oversee the ordering processes, so if a family is interested in making a late order that has to be directly organized through Big Frog T-shirt Company and is not done by RPE.
Join PTA & Volunteer at RPE
Run/ Read Club is Back!
What is River Place Run/Read Club:
- A morning walk or jog is a great way to start the day and a healthy habit to form. Encourage your kids by volunteering for this event!
- It is also a great way to see your kids interact with friends in their grade level.
- We need parent support to keep this program going strong. Your words of encouragement as they run laps go a long way to encourage the students.
- Students will either run around the track and earn prizes, OR they may read silently to self in the gym.
- Volunteers and teachers will help set up the tables, help students get their badges, log laps run, motivate kids, give out rewards for laps run, and collect badges and take down tables when Run Club is finished.
- After Run Club, at 7:50, Mr. Grace will pick up the students and take them to the cafeteria. Students who have not had breakfast yet will do so then.
Place: Check in at the front receptionist desk and then head to the MPR (Multi-Purpose Room across from the cafeteria)
Questions: please contact/text Tracey Schalscha at 602-558-0248
YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED LISD VOLUNTEER. Read below this Monday Memo for more info on how to register. Watch for the "Click Here for LISD Volunteer Registration" button.
Run or Read Club Schedule:
(May dates may change due to STAAR testing)
River Place Elementary Titan Community
Here are our Titan Community Communication Tools-
- River Place Elementary School Website
- Twitter Account
- PTA Facebook Page
- Remind App for River Place Insiders