L3 OPL Newsletter
Sharing our ideas, resources and successes
Wrapping up Term 1
Please take the time to reflect on your week 10 data - Yes you need to send that data to me, but the real purpose and power of the assessment is to drive your future planning and teaching. So..... what are the strengths your students are showing? What areas do you need to work on in your teaching? Areas you can identify that needs further development.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday!
Some independent activities ......
Students love this free writing station!
All keyboards used as a 'can do' in a variety of ways - practice their computer log on, typing first and last name, learning butterfly card words etc
Letters written on 'treasure' hidden in coloured rice. Students find and match
Using the ipads and multi headphone jack to enjoy Procedure 1 reading to.
Students drawing what they spy in the picture. This could evolve into labels, writing/drawing things that rhyme with what they find in the picture etc
Using magnifying glasses to find words and/or letters they know and writing them.
Some classroom organisational ideas
Easy to move/change groups flexibly and fluidly as required with one strip of velcro on a laminated A4, and student names.
Groups and activities displayed using the IWB - easy to adjust and change regularly as required.
Some classes are coming together after a break time and reading a story together and then doing a joint interactive writing lesson. Opportunity to support each others teaching, could develop into procedure 3, or two groups of Interactive writing based on needs.....
Guided Writing.... when can I stop!?!?
Remember guided writing lessons can discontinue when students demonstrate that they -
- know how to move from talk to written language
- have well developed alphabet knowledge and letter formation
- understand what they need to do to hear and record some sounds in words
- write left to right across the page, with correct spacing and control the return sweep
- acquire a small writing vocabulary of words that are securely know (8-10 min, 20 words better)
- appreciate why they need to monitor their own writing
How does it look in your classroom?
- Is there a wide range of continuous text displayed in your room?
- Easel to write on?
- Magnetic white boad for word work during the Interactive Writing with magnetic letters (in alphabetical order x2 plus coming endings ing, s, ed etc)
- Word wall
- Butterfly cards and other collections of high frequency words accessible/displayed
- Alphabet display
- Environmental print
- Are you illustrating/displaying the print in and around the classroom?
- How are you programming/recording the lesson and what was taught and why ie connections to syllabus and/or continuum
New word work is coming..... here is a one page script if you want to take a look before our next training day.
They were ordered from Modern teaching aids.
They are called "Teachables Mini Erasers"