When I was in High School...
- 60s (Vietnam war, women's lib, civil rights)
- 70s (oil crisis, nuclear proliferation, Iranian revolution)
- 80s (AIDS, gay rights, feminism, end of Cold War)
- 90s (war in Yugoslavia, end of apartheid, political correctness)
What would you change about your world?
- Peruse the topics on the tables. When you find an area that speaks to you, sit down and find a subtopic which interests you.
- There are blank cards on the tables if you wish to include a subtopic not on the table. Please do so!
- Talk to others who have gathered at the table. As a group, add three to five other subtopics to the table.
Choose a subtopic.
Use these prompts to help you express what you'd like to see changed:
- It bothers me that ______________
- One issue I care about is ________________
- One of the things that breaks my heart about the world is __________________
- I have noticed (name of issue or problem) I think this matters because ______________
- It tears me apart when ______________ because __________________
- One of the biggest problems in our world is ____________________. This is important to me because ___________________________.
- If I could change the world, I would ________________________ because________________.
Sentence stems from Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student by John Spencer and A.J. Juliani.
5Ws and 1H
2. Accessing Resources
- books, ebooks
To access the databases log into your BYOD page:
*Make sure you have the passwords to access the databases from home. From school, no passwords are needed.
The best places to start are listed below, but make sure to look at other databases, as well.
For more information on how to Google like a boss, view the information on this page.
- Search tools
Remember: You can't use Wikipedia - or can you? Ask Mrs. McVeigh for the secret.
Books and eBooks
4. MLA Workshop
5. Presentation Day
Artificial intelligence. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/132_1310187/1/132_1310187/cite. Accessed 26 Feb 2017.
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER-TV (1997) - GELLAR, SARAH MICHELLE. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/144_1469413/1/144_1469413/cite. Accessed 25 Feb 2017.
Freedom House. “Syrian Refugees.” Flikr, Gevgelija, Macedonia, 9 Sept. 2015, www.flickr.com/photos/syriafreedom/21076290500. Accessed 25 Feb. 2017.
Gethen, Pax Ahisma. “Trump protest SF Nov 13 2016 38.” Wikimedia Commons, San Francisco, 13 Nov. 2016, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trump_protest_SF_Nov_13_2016_38.jpg. Accessed 25 Feb. 2017.
Global Warming. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/139_1992683/1/139_1992683/cite. Accessed 26 Feb 2017.
Google Holds News Conference. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/115_3975958/1/115_3975958/cite. Accessed 26 Feb 2017.
The All-Nite Images. “Black Lives Matter protest.” Wikimedia Commons, New York City, 28 Nov. 2014, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Black_Lives_Matter_protest.jpg. Accessed 25 Feb. 2017.
TSA Screens Passengers At Denver International Airport. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/115_3798701/1/115_3798701/cite. Accessed 26 Feb 2017.