Week of January 4th-January 8th

Big image


I want to give a big, warm welcome back from the holiday break to the "Barbe family." Lots of new changes are in store for this wonderful school in 2016. I would like to start by introducing our two new Assistant Principals. Don't forget the short faculty meeting in the large classroom of the library after school Monday, January 4th for the formal introduction.


Mrs. Davis has retired and Mrs. Carmen Sutton was officially named as Assistant Principal on Friday, December 18th. Mrs. Sutton graduated from Barbe High School in 1980 and McNeese in 1984 with a BS in Biology Education. She began teaching Biology and Physical Science at Barbe in 1987. At the end of that school year, her husband was transferred to Houston and she taught at Tomball High School for one year. The following year, her husband was transferred back to Lake Charles and she got a job teaching at Sam Houston High School. While there, she was the sponsor of the Broncettes danceline. In 1995, she transferred back to Barbe High School once again and has been here ever since. While at Barbe, she taught Physical Science, Biology, Environmental Science, Biology II, and AP Biology. She has also sponsored Freshman Student Council, Science and Math Club, Earth Club, and now the Garden Club. She spent several years as the Total Quality Management coordinator for Barbe and as the CPSB Quiz Bowl Coordinator. For many years, she wrote Biology and Physical Science curriculum manuals and pacing guides for the CPSB Science Department. In 2005, she received her Master's Degree in Educational Leadership and continued to teach until February of 2015 when Dr. Lafargue asked her to step in for Mrs. Davis as Acting Assistant Principal while she was on sabbatical. Currently, Mrs. Sutton has 28 years in the educational system.

Her hobbies include gardening, playing golf, traveling, reading, and cooking. Mrs. Sutton is the youngest of 8 children born to Arthelus Paul "Noon" Cormier of Lake Charles and Maria Antonia Cano Cormier of Santiago de Cuba. She and her husband Mark have 6 children-Colby, 30, Jordan, 29, Anya-27, Barrett-25, Griffin, 22, and Paige-18. They have 2 granddaughters, Sophia-8 and Capri-18 months. They reside in Lake Charles with their two toy Yorkshire terriers named Titan and Coal. They attend Our Lady Queen of Heaven Catholic Church where she is a lector and her husband is a minister of hospitality.

She is a Barbe Buccaneer through and through. She loves this school and hopes to sail on this ship until retirement.


Ms. Delaina Larocque will officially be taking Mr. Yellott's position as Assistant Principal. She has been with CPSB since 1998. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Spanish and taught Spanish for 10 years before becoming an administrator. This is her 7th year as an administrator and was at LaGrange the entire time. For several years, she taught summer school at the LCB-Academy. She serves on several district committees-RTI, Code of Conduct, and the Office of Teacher and Leader Support. She is a self-proclaimed workaholic but, in her down time, likes to run and completed her first 10K this year. Her goal for 2016 is to run a half-marathon. Ms. Larocque has done yoga for the past 4 years, loves to read mysteries, true crime stories, and likes to travel. She has one daughter, Isabella, who is a graduating senior at St. Louis. Her daughter has been accepted to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and will attend there in the fall. Please welcome Ms. Larocque to Barbe High School.


PLCs will be on the normal scheduled days this week. This week, we will be discussing how to identify your personal communication style and understanding others' style whether it be colleagues, students, parents, or friends or family. When we communicate with someone face-to-face, only 7% of what they will hear are the words we use, 38% is tone of voice, and 55% is our body language. When communicating with someone via phone, 10% are the words they hear and the other 90% is our tone of voice.


Tuesday, January 5th is the first day of the second semester. There will be a roll call before first hour to distribute new schedules to students. Please remind the students that their lunches may change depending on where their 4th hour class will be. Report cards will be issued on Friday, January 8th, in roll call after 2nd hour.


Simple K-12 is a site that CPSB has generously paid for to provide additional tools to employees. It has many free resources including lesson plans, rubrics, power points, group projects, etc... You can also attend webinars through this site for additional resources. Take a look at "Connections" as well. You can connect with other teachers around your school, parish, state, and nation to learn new tips and tricks. Here is the link: