NHS Counseling News
December 5th, 2018
December Lunch-n-Learn: Physical Therapy
College Test Prep
Princeton Review will offer one SAT and one ACT course at Northview High School in the afternoon. All Fulton County Schools students are eligible to register for $125 (a discount of more than 80% off of our normal $699 price), and will receive 15 hours of classroom instruction, three in-class proctored practice exams, access to online drills, and a booklet of additional practice tests!
To register, please visit www.PrincetonReview.com/FultonCounty. Choose SAT or ACT above “FIND A COURSE” in the middle of the page and find your class from the resulting list. Then click the green “Enroll” button, enter FCSATL in the Promo Code field, click “Apply” to see the discounted price, and Checkout! Contact our office at (800) 273-8439 ext 1070 with any questions.
Dual Enrollment Deadlines
Are You Taking a Full Year Online Class?
PSAT Test Scores
As the counseling office receives information on scholarships and other types of student opportunities, we will post the information to our web site at https://www.northviewcounseling.com/scholarships. This link provides information on all student opportunities -- summer programs, leadership programs, competitions, etc.
Currently Listed Scholarships
- Better Business Bureau Student of Integrity for attendees at Georgia technical colleges
- Greenhouse Scholars for those with demonstrated need and leadership skills
- National Beta Club Scholarships for nationally registered Senior Beta members
- FIDM National Scholarship Competition for attendees at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising
- Oglethorpe Flagship 50 - qualifying students will get the equivalent of tuition at UGA
- GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program for students with leadership, drive, integrity, and citizenship
- Lockheed Martin STEM Scholarships for individuals studying engineering or computer science who demonstrate financial needs and come from underrepresented or under-served communities.
- U of Michigan Geisinger Scholarship for engineering students at Michigan who are not state residents
- IABA Scholarship for qualified black students who are interested in pursuing an actuarial career
- Rho Epsilon Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated provides assistance to outstanding female African American high school students who reside in Cobb and North Fulton counties.
Currently Listed General Student Opportunities
- Students of the Year Leukemia Fundraising Competition
- Study abroad for high school students through ASSE.
- Study abroad for one semester in Korea through Taejon Christian International School
- Hamilton Scholars five-year, no-cost empowerment program for under-served high school juniors
- Washington University in St. Louis Summer Experience
- LEAD Summer Business Institute - African-American, Latino, and Native American rising high school seniors are encouraged to apply
- California College of the Arts
- Ronald Reagan Student Leadership Program
- University of Southern California Summer Programs
UGA Regular Decision Applicants and Early Decision Deferrals
HOPE Rigor Requirements
If you would like to qualify for the Georgia HOPE Scholarship please be aware that in addition to earning a minimum 3.0 GPA as calculated by the GSFC (Georgia Student Finance Commission), you must meet basic eligibility requirements AND academic rigor requirements. The GSFC does not weight honors courses. Students must complete four full credit hours in academically rigorous courses from the list below:
- Advanced math, such as advanced algebra and trigonometry, math III, taken at the high school, or an equivalent or higher course taken for degree level credit at an Eligible Postsecondary Institution;
- Advanced science, such as chemistry, physics, biology II, taken at the high school, or an equivalent or higher course taken for degree level credit at an Eligible Postsecondary Institution;
- Foreign language courses taken at the high school, or taken for degree level credit at an Eligible Postsecondary Institution; or
- Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Dual Credit Enrollment courses in Core subjects
Seniors – It is essential that you check to see if your correct Social Security number is on file with Northview. An incorrect SS number can impact getting the HOPE. You cannot qualify for HOPE without an official Social Security number.
Checking Your HOPE GPA
Tips for Reducing Stress During Finals Week
- Start studying well before the exam date.
- Focus on understanding the concepts rather than pure memorization. Use mnemonics if you need to memorize information.
- Imagine how relieved you will feel after the exam is over.
- Keep reminding yourself that your hard work will not go to waste.
- If you are afraid of tough questions, it helps to know that most questions are of average difficulty and designed to be answered correctly by most examinees.
- Designate a study budy, a classmate who is an expert in a subject you have trouble in, that you can go to with questions.
- Get plenty of sleep while you are studying and before the test. It makes it easier to learn and retain information.
- Eat healthy food. Avoid sugar and sugar crashes.
- Exercise 15-20 minutes a day to reduce stress and feel mentally fit.
- While taking notes, use as many diagrams, graphs, figures, and illustrations as possible.
- Ask a senior or more knowledgeable person to create a practice test for you, or use practice tests available online or from the teacher.
- On the day of the exam, feel happy and think positive.
These tips were found on WikiHow.