Together in Learning and Faith
October 7, 2018 - Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School
Parents, You're Invited!
Please join us for our School Council meeting on Oct. 11, 2018 at 7:00pm. We will be planning events for your children to enjoy! Please come and join the idea sharing and planning process.
Thank you for signing up to volunteer on the bright coloured volunteer sheet that was sent home this week, and thank you for returning this sheet to your child's teacher as soon as possible.
See you on Thursday Oct.11, 2018 at 7pm!
Thank you and welcome to the OLA School Council Executive:
Chair: Heather Spracklin
Vice-Chair: Sam LeDrew
Treasurer: Julie Berardi
Secretary: Jade King
OLA Declares READIN Month!
For the Love of Reading!
If you know of someone who is interested in sharing their love of reading, and read their favourite book to students please connect with your child's teacher. We would be delighted to have you in your child's class. We are delighted to share that Mrs. Tracy Melnyk shared her love of reading with many students this past week, and and MLA Jessica Littlewood will joining us this coming week. More are welcome and coming!
Power of Positivity
Last week we learned:
- That having lots of ideas in our heads can be overwhelming and a good strategy to get them out is to write them in a journal or on a post-it note
- Slowing down our thoughts through breathing so that we can recognize the importance of our thoughts
- How being grateful for what we have can help keep our thoughts positive
- The names of the two hormones that put us in a good mood: Serotonin and Endorphins
Playground meeting and election
Thursday, October 18, 7:00 pm
St. John Paul II School
Now that school has settled in, I am sure you are aware of the need for outdoor spaces for your new (or new to you) schools.
For anyone new to our Fort Saskatchewan Catholic schools, we are four Catholic schools that have been restructured from three Catholic schools upon the completion of a new Catholic high school. Within the restructuring process we have the following changes:
1. St. John XXIII (SJXXIII) (grades K-4) has half the number of students as half of the students were reallocated to OLA.
2. Our Lady of the Angels (OLA) has changed from a middle school (grades 5-8) into an elementary school (grades K-4).
3. St. John Paul II (JPII) has changed from a high school (grades 9-12) into a middle school (grades 5-8).
4. St. Andre Bessette (SAB) is a new build for a high school (grades 9-12).
These changes were much needed, and have resulted in the playgrounds, equipment and outdoor spaces needing some attention:
1. OLA (grades K-4): has 30-year-old playground equipment appropriate for a middle school
2. JPII (grades 5-8): does not have any playground or outdoor play structures since it had been a high school
3. JPII (grades 5-8): we will need to remove half of the parking lot to make room for an outdoor play structure
4. SAB (grades 9-12): does not have any outdoor gathering spaces and needs benches or picnic tables
5. SJXXIII (grades K-4): due to school enrollment at full capacity for so long, the playground is worn. It is in need of $40,000 worth of repairs.
We are applying for grants and fundraising to replace old playgrounds and to build new ones where needed. We are fundraising as one community as we see our Catholic schools as one family, with close connections with each other. We plan on raising these funds together, and together building outdoor spaces adequate for all our Catholic schools. As ambitious as it sounds, we would like to complete our fundraising within 18 months.
We will have a meeting to elect an executive to carry these efforts forward. The executive would be responsible for working with the respective school principals, continuing to stay in contact with our grant’s writer, and securing a company to purchase playground and outdoor equipment.
Please attend this meeting on Thursday, October 18th at 7:00 pm at
St. John Paul II School (9975 – 93 Ave. Fort Saskatchewan, AB.)
Pope John XXIII Parent Society Chair
Our Monday Faith Assembly
Please check the website calendar to ensure we are in fact having an assembly. During weeks that we have a Liturgical celebration, like Mass, we will not be having a Monday assembly. All parents are welcome to attend our Liturgical Celebrations and Masses.
OLA's Halloween Celebrations
Classes will begin to organize for their class parties right after lunch recess, and get into their costumes. At 1:20pm we will come together as an OLA community for a for a dance party and costume celebration until 1:50pm. The students will then head outside for their recess as fresh air is important for their healthy growth, and return to celebrate in their classrooms.
Parents may be asked to help bring snacks for the in-class celebrations and we thank you in advance for honouring our AP 168: EICS Nutrition Policy by bringing healthy snacks for the celebrations. Candies brought to school will be respectfully returned home.
In need of some creative ideas for healthy treats? Over the next few weeks, we will include some ideas to help you on your way. Thank you in advance for your healthy contributions to in-class Halloween parties!
This Week Around OLA . . .
Looking Ahead . . .
Monday, October 8 - Happy Thanksgiving
- No school today. See you tomorrow!
Tuesday, October 9
- OLA Sleep Star Check In - Are you practicing great nighttime routines to sleep well?
Wednesday, October 10
- 9:30 am Thanksgiving Mass at OLA Church: All parents are invited to attend and/or walk with us to the parish.
- Registration Deadline for the Sacrament of First Reconciliation
Thursday, October 11
- Grade 3 visits the Ukrainian Village
- 7:00 pm OLA School Council Meeting - All parents encouraged to attend
Friday, October 12
- Kindergarten class today
- 6:00 - 7:30 pm First class for First Reconciliation at OLA Church
Looking A Little Further Ahead...
15 - Dr. Jody Carrington Parent Series - click here for more info
15 - MLA Jessica Littlewood sharing her love of reading in the afternoon
16 - Parenting in the Digital Age 6-8pm at Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School in Sherwood Park.
17 - Grade 4 bible presentation with St. John XXIII grade 4s, at OLA church 9:30AM mass
18 - Playground Meeting 7:00 pm at St. JPII
19 - Alberta Opera Performance 9:30 am - OLA is joining St. John XXIII
29 - Lifetouch Picture Retake Day
For more upcoming dates, please visit our website calendar.