November 4, 2020 Newsletter
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
Thank you to families for helping our Northpoint kiddos have fun with our dress-up festivities last week. These days always bring a little extra excitement to the day as we share in some lighthearted silliness and school pride! There seems to be more division in the world recently, and although a small act, spirit days seem to accent the community we have built within Northpoint and across Spring Lake Park Schools!
Requesting a change from current learning model
We are nearing a district trimester transition. This is a more natural point to make a transition in a student’s learning model. If you want to request a change to your student's current learning model for the second trimester (through March 11) - to or from Modified Campus (hybrid) or Extended Flexible Learning (distance), there are a few things to know:
- Communicate your request to our front office by calling the main office number, 763-600-5700, or emailing Heidi Rogers, email@example.com.
- Please make your request before Sunday, November 15.
- By November 30, we'll review requests against current staffing plans and communicate with requesting families for transitions to begin at the start of the trimester on December 8.
Please be aware that with any request for transition, your child would likely be learning with a different teacher and group of learners.
COVID-19 increasing in the county
We continue to monitor increasing case rates in the county through the weekly report we receive from the Minnesota Department of Health and through daily county case numbers. We want all of our families to know that it is our intent to continue with our current Modified Campus (hybrid) model for grades K-6 for as long as possible and prioritize learning at school.
We continue working with our regional support team, which includes public health experts, to consider county, district and school data and trends. Our goal is to make sound decisions for health, safety AND learning for students, families and staff.
Transitions are disruptive to everyone, and we want you to know what we are seeing and be informed should the public health situation necessitate a change in the future. We’ll keep updating you and will have updated data and more information to share in the coming days.
In the meantime, we look forward to seeing kiddos at school tomorrow. For those of you picking up kids at school, please remember to post your child’s full name in the windshield during parent pick-up. This helps everything move more swiftly.
Have a wonderful week!
Extended Flex Learning Families: Requesting Changes, Picture Day, Tips
Today, we may have many questions about what lies ahead for our nation, our state, and our communities, and yet I feel proud and confident in where we are as a school community. Our foundation is strong. We are putting students’ learning, safety and security at the center of all we do and we have successfully implemented two models for learning during a pandemic.
For those of us in the Extended Flexible Learning (distance) model, things are going strong. Students are learning and actively engaging with teachers and each other. Teacher routines and expectations are firmly in place. Families are supporting student learning and reporting a positive student experience overall. While some things may feel uncertain today, I’m certain that we’ve got this!!
Requesting a learning model change
As we near the end of Trimester 1 and the beginning of Trimester 2 you may be considering a change for your family from the Extended Flexible Learning (distance) model to the Modified Campus (hybrid) model. If you are planning to request this change, there are some key pieces of information for you to be aware of.
- Please contact your home school’s main office to make your request by November 15, 2020.
- The switch to the new learning model would begin December 8, 2020.
- Students making a transition will likely not remain with current teachers or classmates.
School Picture Day for our Extended Flexible Learning students is November 11, 2020. Please note details shared elsewhere in the newsletter. Pictures will be taken at your student’s home school.
Tips for learning
As teachers, we have been reflecting on our experience from Trimester 1. Please consider a few suggestions to help support the routines and expectations being established in our classrooms:
- Help student(s) find a quiet space that won’t disturb their learning or people in the house.
- Prepare the learning space ahead of time so the student(s) will be ready to learn.
- If there are items that contain personal information or things you wouldn’t want other people to see, move them out of camera range.
- Remind student(s) to turn off notifications from email or social media to limit distraction.
- Shut down the cell phone to limit distraction.
- Help student(s) understand that schedules need to be somewhat flexible and might occasionally change, just as they do when we are at school. It may be helpful to compare occasional schedule or routine changes to our adult work or daily schedules. Things come up, meetings are called or cancelled, unexpected tasks come our way and we adjust “real time.”
I welcome the opportunity to hear from you. All questions, concerns and insights are encouraged. Take care… and have a great week!
Principal on Special Assignment
K-4 Extended Flexible Learning
EFL Picture Day - November 11
Important Ordering Information
Please visit Lifetouch to order your student's pictures online. This link is active for 48 hours after picture day. Once this code expires, families can still order pictures through MyLifetouch.com for their students with the codes (Portrait ID & Access Code) that are provided on the proof sheet that you will receive 3-4 weeks after picture day. Every student that has their picture taken will receive a proof sheet.
Reminder: Meal services available for students learning at home
Students learning at home can pick up a daily meal pack at no cost that includes one breakfast and lunch at the Spring Lake Park High School, 1100 81st Avenue Northeast; Door #32. Meal pick up is available Monday – Friday, 9-11 a.m. and 1-2:30 p.m.
Questions? Contact the Nutrition Services Department at 763-600-5041
Lost and Found
- November 11 - Northpoint Picture Day - EFL students
- November 26-27 - NO SCHOOL
- December 4 - End of trimester 1
- December 7 - NO SCHOOL
Translate This Newsletter / Traducir Este Boletín
To translate this newsletter information to another language, please click anywhere on the newsletter to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir este boletín de noticias a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del boletín para abrirlo en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.