We Are Tamanend Together!
February 24, 2023
Kelly Anne Dolan Day is Saturday, February 25
On Saturday, February 25 the Tamanend student body and community will come together to celebrate the 23nd Annual Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund Basketball Tournament.
- Rounds of games will be played at the approximate times:
- 7th Grade Boys: 9:00-9:50
- 7th Grade Girls: 9:50-10:10
- 8th Grade Boys: 10:10-10:50
- 8th Grade Girls: 10:50-11:20
- 9th Grade Boys: 11:20-12:20
- 9th Grade Girls: 12:20-12:40
- Playoff Rounds (All grades)---1:00-3:40
- Representatives from KADMF will speak between 12:40 and 1:00.
- The auxiliary gym will be open by 9:30 am for students to challenge teachers in free throw shooting, 3-point contests, and other basketball-related games.
- The Cafeteria will be open with a huge variety of delicious refreshments throughout the event.
- As always, we will huge array of gift baskets that you can win.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Kelly Ann Dolan Day (Three-on-Three Basketball Tournament and Fundraiser)--Saturday, February 25 (details above)
Electronic Confirmation of Course Verifications for Current 8th Graders Due in Parent Portal--Tuesday, February 28 (details below)
Middle School Orientation for 6th Grade Parents--Tuesday, February 28 at 7:00 PM *There is a session for Parents/Guardians of Special Education Students that begins at 6:30 PM in the Library and a session for Parents/Guardians of PEN Students that begins at 6:30 in the Cafeteria
Deadline to Order Freshman Panoramic Photo--Wednesday, March 1 (details below)
Tamanend Musical (Mary Poppins)--Friday, March 10 and Saturday, March 11 (details below)
Monday, February 27
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball @ Holland (Away; 3:30); bus leaves at 1:00
Tuesday, February 28
- No Contests
Wednesday, March 1
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball vs. Unami @ CB South (Away; 5:00); parents provide transportation to and from South
Thursday, March 2
- No Contests
Friday, March 3
- No Contests
- Spring sports will begin on March 20th. Family ID opens for Spring sports registration on February 1st. This includes 7th and 8th Grade Girls Soccer, 7th and 8th Grade Softball, Girls Lacrosse, Boys Lacrosse, Track and Field, Boys Tennis, and 7th and 8th Grade Baseball. All 7th and 8th Grade students interested in playing a Spring sport for Tamanend this year must be registered on the Family ID web site no later than March 14th. Please click HERE for detailed information, deadlines, and requirements.
- There will be an informational football meeting for next year's Freshman team next Tuesday, February 28th starting at 6:30pm in the Forum room at South.
- There will be an informational player meeting for those 8th grade girls that may be interested in playing field hockey in the Fall--whether it be 9th, JV or Varsity for South—on Wednesday, March 1st from 3:00-3:30 in room D204 in the Athletic Lobby near the cafeteria Players attending will have to coordinate rides to South.
- If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- To anyone interested in trying out for spring sports at CB South this year – make sure you are registered in Family ID. You must be approved in Family ID in order to tryout/participate. Family ID closes on February 19 at 11:55pm.
- There will be an informational player meeting for those 8th grade girls that may be interested in playing field hockey in the Fall--whether it be 9th, JV or Varsity for South—on Wednesday, March 1st from 3:00-3:30 in room D204 in the Athletic Lobby near the cafeteria Players attending will have to coordinate rides to SoutAll students attending games at CB South from now on must present their student ID when purchasing tickets/entering gates. Students will not be sold tickets or allowed inside without their IDs.
- Please see below for CB South ice hockey information.
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Tamanend Players' Spring 2023 Musical "Mary Poppins" is March 10-11
Reminder--Middle School Orientation for 6th Grade Parents/Guardians is February 28
Reminder--Harlem Wizards Are Coming to Town
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Eat That Frog Tiger's i Enrichment Book Club--New Session!
Origami Tiger’s i Enrichment for KADMF Begins January 30
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
Mardi Gras and Carnaval
Joyeux Mardi Gras! 8th and 9th Grade French students celebrated Mardi Gras and Carnaval this past Tuesday, February 21st. All students enjoyed sampling King Cakes shipped directly from Gambino’s bakery in New Orleans! They were delicious! In addition, 8th Grade students wore their self-created Mardi Gras masks and paraded to a few 7th grade classrooms to teach the students about the traditions of the Mardi Gras celebrations in Louisiana, France, and Canada. We would like to extend a very special thank you to Mrs. Mancini and Mrs. Wilhelm for graciously welcoming us to their classrooms. Finally, students created special presentations to teach their peers about both Mardi Gras and Carnaval traditions around the world as they learned about this special time of year. Laissez les bons temps rouler !
Deadline to Order Freshman Class Panoramic Photo is Wedensday, March 1
The panoramic group photo of Tamanend’s Class of 2023 (Graduating Class of 2026) is now available! If you would like to purchase this memorable photo of your child’s last year in middle school, please look for them to bring home an order form. If they don’t bring one home, you may get one from the Main Office. The photo is 10” x 18”wide. Each photo costs $20. Checks should be made payable to C and C Photo Studios, but cash is also accepted (sales tax is included). Orders must be received by Wednesday, March 1, 2023.
Reminder--7th and 8th Grade PSSA Skills Practice in Resource
7th and 8th Graders will take the PSSA exams in April. As we get closer to April, we will provide exact dates. Over the next several weeks, 7th and 8th Graders will be completing PSSA skills practices one day per week during Resource. The purpose is to practice important skills that will help students prepare for the PSSA exam and for other important assessments in classes. Practicing these important skills will help students be successful, not only on the PSSA exams but in their classes as well. Here’s how this will work:
- Once a week, Resource teachers will instruct students to complete practice questions for a specific subject area (ELA, Math, or Science). On this day, students will not have the opportunity to work with another teacher or to go to the school store during Resource. Students can check the daily announcements to find out which day of the week the practice will take place. The first PSSA skills practice will take place this coming Tuesday, February 7th.
- Students will submit their completed practice questions electronically or on paper by the end of the Resource period.
- If students finish the practice before the end of the Resource period, their teachers will ask them to put their laptop away and take out a book to read silently. Students may not take out their phones or listen to music at this time. This will help prepare students for the environment during the actual test.
- Content-area teachers (ELA, Math, and Science) will receive the completed practice. They will then review the completed practice in class a few days later.
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Reminder--Program Planning Timeline for 2023-2024 School Year
Program Planning for the 2023-2024 school year is underway. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and school counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website as per the dates listed below. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- Tuesday, January 3--Program Planning assembly for current 9th Graders during Tiger's i (snow date is January 4)
- Thursday, January 5--CB South Curriculum Fair for current 9th Graders at CB South at 6:30 PM
- Thursday, January 19 through Sunday, February 5--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests in Portal
- Monday, January 30--Program Planning assembly for current 8th Graders during Tiger's i (snow date is February 1)
- Tuesday, January 31--Program Planning assembly for current 7th Graders during Tiger's i (snow date is February 2)
- Wednesday, February 1--Administrators and counselors guide current 8th Graders through choosing electives in Portal during Resource (snow date is February 2)
- Friday, February 10--Course verifications for current 7th Graders posted on Parent Portal
- Thursday, February 16--Electronic confirmation of course verifications for current 7th Graders due in Parent Portal
- Thursday, February 22--Course verifications for current 8th Graders posted on Parent Portal
- Tuesday, February 28--Electronic confirmation of course verifications for current 8th Graders due in Parent Portal
- Friday, March 17--Course verifications for current 9th Graders posted on Parent Portal
- Wednesday, March 29--Electronic confirmation of course verifications for current 9th Graders due in Parent Portal
Reminder--Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
CLICK HERE TO READ THE LATEST EDITION OF ROARING VOICES REVIEW (TAMANEND'S LITERARY MAGAZINE)
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Hallways
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- Verifications for current 7th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Thursday, February 16th.
- Verifications for current 8th Grade students were posted in the Parent Portal on Wednesday, February 22nd and are to be confirmed by Tuesday, February 28th. If using the Parent Portal app, select the menu and go to “More”, then “Backpack” in order to view and confirm.
- The CB South Curriculum Fair for next year's 10th Graders was held on Thursday, January 5th. CB South's Program Planning & Curriculum page contains videos from across their various departments and can help give a sense of their offerings. Paramount to the high school transition are relationships and connectedness. Tamanend and CB South counselors will continue to plan and program for relationship-building opportunities as your child transitions to high school, including the forthcoming program planning assembly with high school and middle school counselors, curriculum fair, Q&A with high school counselors during the Intervention and Enrichment time, and welcome days at the high schools. We will share more information about these exciting events soon. Please reach out to your child’s counselor for additional assistance and information as we work together to support this transition.
- MBIT’s Open House was held on Thursday, December 1st at 6:00. Please visit their website (www.mbit.org) to see all of the amazing programs that MBIT has to offer.
FROM OUR STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SAP)
Reminder--Prevention Resources and Education for Parents
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
Reminder--If Your Child's Laptop Screen Breaks
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Universal Free Breakfast Now Available at Tamanend
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) email@example.com
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) email@example.com
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
The CB Farmers Market at Barclay is Every Second and Fourth Thursday of the Month
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Patti Hartz, Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary email@example.com
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, March 16th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.