LOTHROP ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE LEVEL SCHOOL December 7, 2017
- December 8th: All School Assembly @ 8:05-3/4 to Host-Humane Society
- December 13th: Technology Safety and Community Event Hour @ 6:30 PM Lothrop Library
- December 14th:1st grade to sing at Senior Luncheon-1:00 @VT Police Academy
- December 15th: All School Assembly @ 8:05 AM-Unified Arts to Host
- December 19th: Caring Canines in Library
- December 19th: Middle Level Parent Meeting-End of Year Activities and Fundraising @ 5:45 PM-Lothrop Library
- December 19th: Middle Level Concert PM Performance @ 6:30 PM
- December 20th: All School Gathering-2:00 PM
- December 20th: OVUU Board Meeting @ 6:00 PM-Sudbury Community School
- December 21st- January 1st: Winter Break
- January 19th: Lothrop PTO Lip Sync Battle
A Tribute to the Chief
Lighting of the Memory Tree
Pirates of Penzance Playbill
We have our first two playbill sponsors/advertisements. $100 from Blue Seal and $100 from Red Apple! We also have been offered all the chicken wire we need for set building from Blue Seal.
I love this community!
We will be working on pictures of students in their costumes possibly next week, this week we are sorting out costumes and running through lines. Students with lead roles will be taking home a script to practice, all students will take home a letter on their part in the production as well as a sponsorship form. These will be passed out in art class.
Any questions, let me know.
Unified Arts Column
What is Happening in P.E.?
Classes have moved indoors for the winter. We have been doing the following activities:
Grades K-2: Throwing and catching skills using playground balls; rolling, bounce passes, and "rainbow" passes (no bounce). Fox Theme activities; Fox Tag, overhand throw using foxtails, and The Noble Duke of York ("we'll catch a fox and put him in a box, and then we'll let him go"). Other animals showed up recently as well to join us in the game Sleigh Tag. What animals can you think of that can pull a sled or sleigh?
Grades 3-6: Warm-up activities have included Ladders (also sometimes called UCLA's or sprints) and the Pacer (a cardio component of the Fitnessgram). Both activities involve running laps across the gym. We have also been playing Pillo Polo, a safe version of floor hockey. Next up for games will be Guard the Nest.
Please help students to remember their sneakers on PE days so they can fully participate in class activities. After winter break we will begin Basketball Units.
~ Mrs. Gee
What is happening in the library?
K-2 students are continuing to learn library skills, use shelf markers and differentiate between fiction and nonfiction books. This month students will be comparing and contrasting various tales of the Gingerbread Man.
3-6 students have been utilizing online resources such as Encyclopedia Britannica and Pebble Go. We are currently learning about reference books and how to use a dictionary, a thesaurus and almanacs.
Rock Climbing Team
Lothrop Rock Climbing Team Meeting
The Lothrop Rock Climbing Team is about to start it's 5th year in December. Last year the Rock Climbing Team had 16 students sign up. In order to reduce the cost of the student membership we did fundraising. This year we are asking local businesses to sponsor our team in the hopes of bringing down the membership cost again. We already have 3 sponsors Pittsford Automotive Center, Bertrand Farms and Bissette Construction. We will also be selling Dunkin Donuts coupon books. Students wanting to join the team and take advantage of any discounts the fundraising offers, must commit to attending at least one team practice per month and participating in one team meet for the season. Please contact Margaret Daly firstname.lastname@example.org 282-6079 or Kelly Connaughton email@example.com 770-4767 with questions on our team.
- Yankee Candle items can be picked up in The office. Please look over your orders ASAP. Some of the boxes were wet and damaged. There is a website on the packing slip with your order for you to contact if items are missing or damaged.
- Chubby Chico will be sent home on Thursday, 12/7.
- Engraved Joy should be delivered and sent home by next week. Save the Date!
- Laundry Detergent pick up will be next week at Blue Seal in Brandon. Date and time to be announced.
- Did you know that the Lothrop PTO is a charitable organization on AmazonSmile?AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets you enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The shopping experience is identical to Amazon.com with the added benefit that the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from eligible AmazonSmile purchases to charitable organizations selected by customers. No need to create a new Amazon account, simply go to smile.amazon.com and search “Pittsford Parent-Teacher” and login to your existing account. This is an extremely easy way to support Lothrop students. With the holidays quickly approaching we hope all who utilize this shopping site will connect with us on AmazonSmile so we can reap the benefits this site has to offer. Thank you!
Wanted: PTO Officers
- Our treasurer and secretary are moving on to OV. Any officer position is available as the officers are always willing to shift to another position if someone is interested in trying their current position out. Nominations are at the April meeting and elections take place in May. If you have any questions or would like a job description on any position please let us know. Please let any officer know if you are interested!