South Lebanon Elementary Newsletter
Notes and News from Mr. Brown
At the time of writing this newsletter, we have completed our 91st day of school. Under the circumstances surrounding the 2021 school year, we are so grateful to be able to reach this milestone. This is an important milestone as we are officially over the halfway point of the school year.
As we continue on in the month of February, I want to reiterate the importance of dressing appropriately for the weather. We believe that it is very important for our students to have an opportunity to play outdoors and will continue to have outdoor recess as much as possible. To date we have been very fortunate to only have one day off for snow. While everyone enjoys a good snow day, it is our hope that luck will stay on our side and we will not miss school due to snow. In the event that inclement weather is in the forecast, the district will continue to put out notifications in the form of a Skylert message. This same system will also be used for early dismissals if they are needed. Please make sure that all of your contact information is updated in Skyward.
With the month of February approaching, we have been receiving questions about student Valentine's Day cards. Although not mandatory, we feel that this is a normal opportunity for students in an otherwise abnormal year. We ask that if your child would like to participate in valentines distribution and your child's teacher is indeed participating that no shared snacks or candy be sent to school. Items such as pencils or erasers can be used in their place. If your child's class is participating in valentine distribution and you would like for your child not to participate, please contact your child's teacher.
As always, thank you for your continued support of your continued support.
Mark D. Brown
News from Mrs. Klein, Art Teacher
Opportunities for Teacher Recognition
Giving Back to the CLSD Community
Between January 1 and February 28, 2021, everyone who shops at GIANT, MARTIN’S and GIANT Heirloom Markets stores will be invited to “ROUND UP AT THE REGISTER” their grocery purchase and donate to the program fund. The GIANT Company also will include CHOICE Rewards points that are converted to grocery dollars.
The GIANT Company will match up to $1 million donated via Round Up and an additional $500,000 for CHOICE Rewards converted to grocery dollars. If customers donate $1.5 million via these methods, that will bring the total to $3 million for local school food and meal programs.
Our entire school community will need to help to spread the word to ensure this program is a great success for the children in our district who need the most help. From backpacks with weekend food, to clearing a delinquent lunch account, to building a community pantry in our schools, the funds will be provided to our district food service department for use at our discretion in line with addressing food insecurity in our school communities. More information will be provided in the near future.
Our district looks forward to partnering with The GIANT Company in the fight against childhood hunger
South Lebanon PTP
Reminder of upcoming events:
Our next meeting will be: February 10, 2021 at 6:30pm. We will be meeting in the South Lebanon LGI. If you would like to join us virtually, you can access the meeting by choosing the this link.
Please email me Mrs. Angela Bensing, concerns or ideas. firstname.lastname@example.org
From the District Office …
Did you know?
· Information about any School Closings or Delays will be posted to the District Home page: www.clsd.k12.pa.us and also to the Cornwall-Lebanon School District Facebook page and Twitter (@CLSD_Schools). Be sure to update your weather emergency contact information under the Skylert tab on the parent portal and be sure your device permits calls from these phone numbers: (717) 272-2031 and (717) 272-2036.
· CLSD Calendar of Events: Please check the District website calendar for updates to events listed in the 2020-2021 CLSD Calendar. Many activities listed in the calendar will have an online option for remote viewing. If available, the link will be posted on the scheduled event date on the website calendar: www.clsd.k12.pa.us. Most Home Athletic events are available for viewing via livestream on CCHStoday.com.
· Feb. 1: School Board Public Work Session, CCHS LGI, 5:30 p.m.; Check website for info and a link to view the Livestream meeting or to register to attend in person.
· Feb. 8-12: National School Counseling Week
· Feb. 8: School Board Regular Meeting, CCHS LGI, 5:30 p.m.; Check website for info and a link to view the Livestream meeting or to register to attend in person.
· Feb. 15: Presidents’ Day - No School (unless needed as a weather make-up day)
· Feb. 18: Virtual Kindergarten Orientation for parents/guardians of incoming kindergarten students. Parents/guardians residing in CLSD with a child who will be five years of age before September 1, 2021, are asked to click on the photo link on the CLSD website to begin the Kindergarten registration process. After this information is received, a letter will be mailed with more information about registering a kindergarten age child for the 2021-22 school year and how to access the link to the virtual Orientation video.
· March 5, 6 & 7: Cedar Crest High School’s Spring Musical, “The Addams Family (Quarantined: Dramatic Concert Version)” – This year’s musical will be Live Streamed as it is performed in front of a limited-capacity in-person audience. Ticketing information to purchase a “stream-pass” to be able to watch the production online or to purchase any available in-person tickets will be posted on the District website as it becomes available.
· March 15: Deadline to apply for Falcon Foundation grants and awards to be used for educational and enrichment opportunities (social, cultural and athletic) taking place between June 1 and November 30, 2021. Click on the “Falcon Foundation” QuickLink on the district website for more info and to download applications: www.clsd.k12.pa.us.