Mill Creek OST
A little month filled with a lot of punch
With February being the shortest month, we are packing it with so much: many activities, celebrations, kid clubs, and field trips.
- Tuesday, February 3rd is an All Day Care day (7am-6pm). Ernie Miller Nature Center will present a wildlife program in the morning. Following lunch we will take a jaunt to Cinemark Palace on the Plaza to view Paddington. We will depart Mill Creek at 12pm and return by 4pm. If you wish to give your child(ren) concession money, Cinemark is offering $5 snack packs, they will be responsible for their own money.
- Friday, February 6th is an All Day Care day (7am-6pm). We will explore the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve then head to Union Station to stargaze at the Arvin Gottlieb Planetarium at Union Station. We will depart Mill Creek at 10am and return by 4:15pm. No money is necessary for this trip.
Please make sure you have signed the permission slips for these field trips.
We would love to have parent volunteers join us on our field trips to have some fun, spend time with your lovees, and lend a helping hand. Any questions please email Ms. Jen.
Please have your child(ren) wear their JCPRD shirt on both field trips.
Please provide a sack lunch on both days. Note we do NOT refrigerate any lunches, to keep a lunch chilled until its' time to chow down, try frozen fruit or yogurt which will keep food cool and is a refreshing treat.
- Monday, February 16th, President's Day, JCPRD MCE OST and the SM school district will be closed. We will NOT offer care due to the observance of the federal holiday, you will need to make alternative childcare arrangements.
Check the Important Dates section below for even more important dates! Summer camps and 2014-2015 OST program information online now!
spring break enrollment
Mill Creek's JCPRD Spring Break Camp codes:
Monday, 16th 27134... ...................Tuesday, 17th 27135
Wednesday, 18th 27136................ Thursday, 19th 27137
Friday, 20th 27138
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Happy Chinese New Year
Commit to Health...
Super Yum dip:
1.5 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Best if you make the night before and let it set. Great with veggies, chicken, lamb, or fish.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
Friday, February 6th
Friday, February 20th
None for this month
All Day Care Days:
Tuesday, February 3rd, Paddington at Cinemark on the Plaza, 12-4pm
Your child(ren) will need to bring a sack lunch on both days. Remember we DO NOT refrigerate any lunches. It is up to the parents if you wish your child(ren) to bring concession money, they will be responsible for it.
Monday, February 16th, President's Day
SPRING BREAK enrollment has begun. Mill Creek will NOT be combined with any others schools as yet, register soon to save your spot. To register call 913.826.3014 and use these codes for Mill Creek's JCPRD Spring Break Camp: Monday 27134. Tuesday 27135. Wednesday 27136. Thursday 27137. Friday 27138.
SUMMER CAMP registration: you may register for indoor camps at 12pm on Monday, February 2nd. Call 913.831.3359 or go online to JCPRD.
2014-2015 Out of School Time information is available, checkout JCPRD's link.
- Check-In: We will check students in at the Café. If you know your child(ren) will not be in OST please call us at 913.599.5785 or email me at email@example.com. If a student has not checked in with us, we will contact you if we haven't heard from you first.
- Snack: We are kicking off our healthy new year with a new snack menu. We are very excited to report that we have taken the Commit to Health Pledge! In doing so you can expect to see our out of school time participants engaging in more physical activity, learning about good nutrition, and eating healthier snacks while in attendance at JCPRD. Commit to Health is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park and Association and The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Our staff has worked hard to develop a new food service menu that features items that are nutrient dense, low in fat, sugar, and sodium, as well as more fresh fruits and vegetables. Please support our efforts to help students develop healthy eating habits by encouraging them to be open to trying new foods and by reinforcing the benefits of nutritious diet. Healthy snacks and meals improve cognitive function, increase energy, and help children grow strong muscles and bones!
- Homework/Reading time: During snack time your child(ren) can sign up for our homework/reading time that will begin directly after snack (roughly 3:30pm) in the café. We encourage kids to sign up but do not force them. When they do sign up we do expect them to come to the room and QUIETLY do their homework or read for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Activities: Some of the clubs that kids will be able to join are: Chess, Writing, Cooking, Art & Crafts, Healthy New Year, and Engineering. As we progress through out the months, new clubs may be added.
- Outside/Gym Time: We believe it is essential for minds and bodies to have mental health breaks and join in on fitness breaks. Weather permitting we will go outside. JCPRD follows the Shawnee Mission school district’s weather policy. Please remember to have your child(ren) layer up and bring a jacket with their name labeled inside it. We will have structured activities for them to do during this time as well as free play.
- Check-Out: When you come to pick up your child(ren) please remember to WALK IN and SIGN THEM OUT. There is a late charge of a $1 per minute after 6:00pm
MCE OST Staff
Stephanie Griggs-Lead Teacher M, W, & F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher T & R
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher M-F
Laryissa Jones-Lead teacher M-F
Sierra Macklin-Assistant Teacher M-F
Graham Wills-Lead Teacher M-F
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F