OPT News & Events
A Letter From the President
Where did the time go?!
We've swapped out the last of our summer threads for rain jackets, tucked away the Halloween decorations and now we're delighting in the late fall/early winter activities and looking toward the New Year. A year full of possibilities and the potential to get a glimpse of our pre-COVID lives again. Who's ready? We are!
The last few months at Evergreen have been jam packed with events and activities and it won't stop there. The next few weeks are going to be a whirlwind, but ones filled with gratitude, giving, gifting and JOY! Please see below for information regarding upcoming events, past events and general updates!
NOTE: We are seeking on-campus volunteers for our Holiday Store Shopping Experience on 11/30 and 12/1! Never been on campus? This is a wonderful opportunity to be a part of a beloved Evergreen tradition! Sign-up to help! Note: At this time, all volunteers must be able to show proof of full vaccination for COVID 19.
Have questions or comments? Please reach out to us directly at email@example.com or join one of our monthly OPT Office Hours w/Mrs. Morey!
Out next OPT General Assembly Meeting will be held on Thursday, December 2nd at 7 PM on Zoom. We would LOVE to see you there! Details are below:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 998 375 1990
Wishing you and yours all the best,
OPT President 21/22
What's in the newsletter?
- Upcoming Events and Activities
- Past Events and Activities
- General Reminders
- Volunteer Opportunities
Food & Non-Perishable Items Drive
This is event is considered complete for the 21/22 school year.
WOW! The generosity of the community came through in a big way. On Monday, November 22nd, the 5th graders and parent volunteers loaded up the donations and took them to Woodin Elementary. The Woodin community was so grateful for the contributions from Evergreen. The pantry shelves are STOCKED and ready for the influx it will encounter as we near the holidays. Kindness matters!
See below for a link to the Zoom recording of the presentation and Q&A with the representative from Families Helping Families Food Pantry. The children had such amazing questions!
Access Passcode: LAy&D.6@
Kindness Cards for Afghan Refugees
This event is considered complete for the 21/22 school year.
- Approximately 75 cards were submitted by Evergreen students
- All cards will be delivered to Jewish Family Services of Seattle
- Cards will be used as a colorful welcome once families are settled into to their new homes
Thank you Mrs. Morey for hosting this Directed Draw and Read Aloud!
Toys for Tots Toy Drive
- Beginning on Wednesday, 12/1, there will be large boxes marked "Toys for Tots" outside the Front Office
- Please donate NEW and UNWRAPPED toys - we encourage you to involve your child in this process!
- The toy drive will run from 12/1 - 12/13 at which time the toys will be delivered to the Toys for Tots warehouse for distribution to those in need in King County
- Two members of the US Marine Corp will be coming to speak with the students about this project, the importance of the cause and who it benefits. We are grateful for their service!
- SIGN-UP TODAY and encourage friends, family and neighbors to participate!
- Spots fill up fast and are NOT reserved for Evergreen families
- You can narrow the location search by entering your zip code, there are options at brick and mortar as well as pop-up donation centers just minutes from campus!
- Be sure to choose the donation date range as 12/10 - 12/24 so that it counts toward Evergreen's drive
- Those who donate platelets, plasma or a "double red" will receive credit for two donations!
- If we have a minimum of 35 participants, we will earn $700 to donate to Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Puget Sound!
- You must mention "GOEA" when you physically check-in for your appointment to receive credit for Evergreen
Holiday Store - 11/30 & 12/1
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE THIS EVENT A SUCCESS! Please consider volunteering on Tuesday, 11/30 and/or Wednesday, 12/1. This is an ON-CAMPUS volunteer event during the school day!
*Volunteers must be able to show proof of full vaccination status for COVID 19.
What is the Holiday Store Shopping Experience? This beloved event is a tradition at Evergreen and after taking a year off, it's BACK! During this event, students have the opportunity to shop for their family, friends and loved ones (including pets) at the OPT Holiday Store in the gymnasium on 11/30 and 12/1. Prior to the shopping days, make sure you sit down with your little ones and create a shopping list and budget so they have a plan when it is their turn to shop. This incredible event is one of our favorites and we can't wait for the kids to experience it! Sending in CASH in $1s and $5s is very helpful!
- Flyers went home Friday, 11/19 with an envelope to send you money in (CASH ONLY)
- Complete the worksheet on the front of the flyer to signify how much money the child has permission to spend on each person they are purchasing for
- Completed worksheets + envelopes with money (CASH ONLY) are due back on Monday, 11/29
- Think of friends, family and pets! Children are also allowed to purchase items for themselves (limit 1 per person and w/parent permission)
- We appreciate you sending in $1s and $5s as this allows us to make change for everyone shopping!
Gingerbread House + Family Movie Night & Evergreen Eats Out - 12/17
This event was so popular last year that we have decided to make it a tradition! In future years we plan to gather in person for this fun and festive activity, but this year we'll gather virtually once more.
This event will take place on Friday, December 17th, which is also Pajama Day at school. Order up some delicious food through Evergreen Eats Out to support the OPT (restaurant TBD), join us in your PJs on Zoom at 7 PM to show off your gingerbread creations and then snuggle up with the family for the streaming of a festive movie. Or, decorate your house while you watch!
- An order form for pre-built gingerbread flyers went home on Friday, 11/19
- To order a pre-built gingerbread house through the OPT, orders must be placed by 12/3 (pay online or by submitting cash or check to the Front Office
- You do not need to purchase a house to participate in the evening!
- Purchased houses will go home the week of the event
- Zoom details will be sent the week of the event
Holiday Gift Exchange
Back by popular demand is our Holiday Gift Exchange (formerly titled "Secret Santa.) This optional present swap is a fun way to give a gift and get a gift with other participating students. Simply sign-up using the QR code on the flyer or via the link below to get involved. Please review the timeline commitments below and make sure your gift is labeled!
- A flyer with the sign-up QR code will go home on Friday, 12/3 but you can sign-up now by visiting the link below
- If your student is interested in participating, you must register by Wednesday, 12/8
- You will be notified who your partner is by Friday, 12/10
- Gifts should be dropped off at the front office (labeled!) by Tuesday, 12/14
- The exchange of gifts will take place on Thursday, 12/16 at carline
*Gift value should be approximately $15.
The PNB Nutcracker Virtual Event
PNB Nutcracker Streaming Event
Monday, December 20th @ 6 PM
Another time honored tradition at Evergreen is the viewing of the classic Pacific Northwest Ballet's The Nutcracker. While it is our hope to return to the physical theatre next year, we will once again meet online to view this spectacular show. And be on the lookout for a special gift from the OPT that will go home the last week of school before Winter Break...
- The event will take place over Zoom on Monday, 12/20
- Zoom details will be emailed the week prior to the event
- Students will need to be logged into Zoom in real time to view the show, it will not be recorded
- Run time is approximately 2 hours
December OPT General Assembly Meeting
Thursday, December 2nd at 7 PM on Zoom
We encourage you to join us at the second General Assembly meeting of the year which will be held over Zoom on Thursday, 12/2 at 7 PM. We will review past events, brainstorm ways to improve those events for next year, discuss upcoming events, answer any questions you may have (there is A LOT going on), and review any business that has been conducted since we last met. We always conclude with an update from Mrs. Morey and end with a Q&A session. We hope to see you there!
Building a Better Evergreen. Together.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 998 375 1990
Parent & Staff Book Club
Parent & Staff Book Club
Monday, December 6th at 7 PM
Evergreen Book Club Fans! Please join us on or the December Parent & Staff Book Club, hosted by the OPT! The book we will be reading is, "I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up For Education And Was Shot By The Taliban," by Malala Yousafzai. Fifth grade parents, your students will read the young authors version of this book this year - a great conversation to have with your child!
RSVP Here: http://evite.me/FdhUNP61GM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 998 375 1990
Meet & Greet and Uniform Store
August 30th, 2021
What a wonderful way to kick off the new school year! It almost felt like a "normal" event and we loved seeing all of the amazing faces (well masks and eyes) in our community. The OPT was set-up outside to greet families as they came to their scheduled teacher meet and greet appointments. Spirit Wear was for sale and people were signing up to volunteer. The Uniform Store traveled from the OPT house to the roundabout and we sold a TON of clothes at amazingly low prices!
While we were busy outside, we knew teachers would be busy inside and would have little time to pause to eat. The OPT organized, under the amazing direction of Stephanie Weymouth, for a smorgasbord of grab-n-go snacks and drinks for teachers to pack up and munch on when they had time. Thank you teachers for all that you do!
Welcome Back Coffee
Friday, September 3rd, 2021
When you can't meet in person...you meet virtually! We had an awesome turnout and were able to chat about the school year ahead. Thank you to Principal Morey for meeting with us and always keeping us in the loop of the happenings at Evergreen. We hope you were all able to enjoy a Starbucks treat on us!
Family Movie Night & Evergreen Eats Out
September 24th, 2021
We were thrilled with the participation in our first ever VIRTUAL Family Movie Night + Evergreen Eats Out! Students voted in class on the movie they would most like to see and Raya and the Last Dragon won by a landslide. The day of the event movie "tickets" went home along with a bag of popcorn for every student and we met on Zoom at 7 PM to show off our PJs and participate in a little movie trivia. Families were able to view the movie on their own schedule and enjoy the deliciousness of their Zeek's orders...while also earning us $475 toward the OPT through their dining purchases!
Parent Education Evening
October 18th, 2021
"The Power of Regulation"
Yehudis Smith, M.S. Ed.
Access Passcode: wRa7+CjT
Halloween Directed Draw & Read Aloud
October 28th, 2021
Thank you to Mrs. Morey for hosting a fun directed draw and read aloud! Did you miss it but still want to participate? See below for the recording details:
*If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the video at the link, make sure you are signed into Zoom FIRST and try again.
Spooktacular Trunk-or-Treat Drive Thru Event
October 29th, 2021
The first ever Spooktacular Trunk-or-Treat Drive Thru was a SUCCESS! While all of our participants blew us away with their creativity, online voting reported that the title of "Best Trunk" was won by the Betz Family with their "Under the Sea" theme! The squid, Ben Betz, stole the show with his inflatable costume. There are MANY people to thank for the success of this event - the support was incredible! A big shout out to Stephanie Weymouth and Keri Sliger for their creativity and dedication, an enormous thank you to everyone who donated candy and other treats for our goodie bags and let us not forget, the stars of the show, our trunk decorating volunteers! You ALL went above and beyond. THANK YOU!
Last but not least, thank you to those who helped kick off the Season of Gratitude & Giving with your generous food and non-perishable item donations. Such a generous community!
November 8th - 9th, 2021
Duct Tape Mrs. Morey!
November 1st, 2021
OPERATION "DUCT TAPE MRS. MOREY" WAS A SUCCESS! Thank you Mrs. Morey for being such an incredible leader and fantastic sport! These are memories our kids will hold onto forever! Another big thank you to our Evergreen Families for helping us surpass our Fall Fundraising goal of collecting from 90% of our families.
Final count....94% collected! Four classrooms achieved 100% collection and each has won a class party!
Way to go Evergreen!
Join us on Facebook!
Were you a member of out FB group prior to Fall 2021? If so, we have a NEW and very active group! Our new Facebook Group can be found by visiting:
We need YOU!
At its heart, OPT's culture of giving is built on the spirit of volunteerism. Volunteers - current parents, grandparents, alumni, and friends - are involved in every classroom, event, and fundraiser. As volunteers we get to know other people in our community, we learn from each other, and we grow together to build a stronger community, a stronger Evergreen Academy for all.
What does volunteering look like?
Volunteering can look like ANYTHING! Sometimes we need people to physically be present to help, sometimes we need donations of goods, and sometimes we need your help from home. Really, there is a job for everyone and jobs in all shapes and sizes!