Loudon County Schools Coordinated School Health
Self-care is the practice of taking an active role in protecting one's own well being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress. Self-care is everything that you deliberately do for your mental, physical, and emotional well being.
Why is Self-Care Important?
- Self care prevents “overload burnout”: We’ve all been there: you push yourself to the point that you can’t take anymore so you just give up. Self care helps you avoid getting to that point.
- Self care reduces the negative effects of stress: A small amount of stress can serve a purpose, but after a while, it just breaks down your mind and body. Taking care of yourself means keeping your stress from taking over so you can function at full capacity.
- Self-care helps you refocus: When I was stuck on a complicated math problem in school, my teacher would suggest walking away and coming back—taking a break, basically. Breaks are the epitome of self care, and studies show they are great for helping you perform better.
Types of Self-Care
It's important to make sure we are taking time to focus on each area of self-care.
It can be simple!
Self-care can be simple! Check out this list of easy ideas!
Spring Specific Ideas!
Check out these ideas to enjoy the lovely Spring weather while taking care of yourself!
Self-Care During COVID-19
Make it a priority
Talk about it!
- "How are you feeling?"
- "What would help you feel better today?"
- "What makes you feel like the very best version of yourself?"
- "What is important to you?"
- "How can we help each other?"
It's also important to stay connected to family and friends through technology if possible. You could also try writing letters or sending pictures to loved ones. This is important for everyone!