CMSN Math Memos
Notes on Math Happenings in the District - April Edition
Algebra 1 EOC - Calculator Prep
Cougar Academic Academy
We still have TWO Saturday Spots open, waiting to be filled. Let me know if you'd like to earn an easy $50 this month!
Thank you again for your flexibility and willingness to help out with CAA!
Final Exams - June 2016
Just as a reminder, the exams will cover:
- 6th Grade - Only 2nd Semester Material
- 7th Grade - Only 2nd Semester Material
- 8th Grade - Whole-year, but only Readiness TEKS
- 7th Acc - Same test as 8th grade, but without the few TEKS saved for Algebra 1.
I am excited for us to administer these and correct so many of the mistakes I made in the fall! I will have the CORRECT scantrons for you this time around, and we will be able to scan them here at North - woohoo! I'll give you more instructions as we near exam time.
Math Screeners for 2016-2017
We have JUST begun this process, so there are still many things to work out. However, here a few things to consider for next year:
- The screener will most likely be 10-15 problems strictly over numeracy/Algebra readiness.
- It will most likely be given at the beginning of the year, middle of the year and end of the year.
- The screener WILL include a small section that requires you to work one-on-one with your learners. (I know this sounds insane with 100+ students - but stay tuned for how we will make this work. Keep an open mind - I won't ask you to do anything that I won't also be doing with my own 100 students.)
- The screener will strictly serve as a means to determine whether or not a learner is "at-risk" or "not at-risk." It will not be taken for a grade, but may be used to help determine placement in programs like Math Mania.
Again, stay tuned for more information, although you probably won't hear more about it until the beginning of next year!
Summer Professional Learning - Math Offerings
All "AM" sessions will be from 8:30 - 11:30, and "PM" sessions will be from 12:30 - 3:30.
June 13 AM - Transfer Goals - PK-12
June 14 PM Engaging ELLS - 6-8***
June 15 PM - Desmos - 5-12****
June 16 AM - Anchors, Maps, Models for Vocab - PK-12
July 18 AM - Desmos - 5-12****
July 18 PM - Anchors, Maps, Models for Vocb - PK-12
July 19 AM - TEKS Exploration - 6-12*****
July 19 PM - Engaging ELLs - 6-8***
July 20 AM - TEKS Exploration - K-5
- July 20 PM - TEKS Exploration - K-5
***Engaging ELLS training includes a free book of resources from Region IV.
****I am a HUGE Desmos advocate! It is SO great for building knowledge of multiple representations. It is not just for upper grades, so consider this training even if you teach 6th/7th grade!
*****This is my favorite offering this summer. It REALLY digs into the TEKS. Just when you think you know them all forwards and backwards, it goes deeper. Definitely a huge help for anyone new-ish to teaching, or that will be teaching a course for the first time.
Responsive Teaching Training
When we meet during team time, we will jump into a structured conversation regarding the article and what it says about motivation and engagement through the lens of cultural awareness. I will record the major points of our conversations and submit them through Schoology. After I submit our responses, you will receive flex credit for the "training."