Friday News Roundup
Mrs. Morey's Second Grade Classroom
Week of 2/5/16
Dates & Reminders
- 2/8 Classroom Spelling Bee
- 2/12 Famous American Biography Essay due
- 2/12 Valentine Exchange & the 100th day of school
- 2/15-2/19 Mid-Winter Break
- 2/22-2/26 Star Student - Stella
- 2/22 Famous American Trifold Board due
- 2/23 Schoolwide Spelling Bee
- 2/26 Subway Order forms due
- 2/26 New pizza orders go home
- 2/29 Famous American Costumes due
- 3/2 Picture Day - Privileged Dress
- 3/4 Famous American Presentations
- 3/4 Last day of the 2nd trimester
- 3/7 Star Student - Ethan
- 3/9 Pottery Night 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- 3/11 Report cards go home
- 3/14 No school - Professional Development Day for staff
- 3/21 Star Student - Zane
- 3/21 Our class leads LAUNCH
- 3/24 Flat Stanley dress rehearsal
- 3/31 Flat Stanley performance
Jump Rope for Heart
Everyone had to jump over the low rope and army crawl under the high rope!
Students had a choice of jumping double dutch or with a single jump rope.
Watch Out for Lava!
Students had to use both feet to jump from hoop to hoop. If they landed in the lava, they had to start over.
What did we learn this week?
Math: Students continued with math rotations, Rocket Math (fact fluency practice), Number of the Day problems, and Number Talks.
Social Studies: Students worked on biographies and poems.
Science: Students continued learning about rocks and learn about what happens to rocks when they are washed. They began studying the properties of different types of river rocks.
Literacy: Students worked on biographies and poems.
Writing: Students worked on biographies and poems. Students also studied first-person speeches and created a template to use when writing their speech.
Thunder and Lightning
Stella and Caroline performed an original song based on the comic series they created.
3 Branches Rap
Zane and his brother, Omar, performed a rap about the three branches of government.
Maltilda - the Musical
Divya performed a song from Maltilda.
Math: Students will continue with math rotations, Rocket Math (fact fluency practice), Number of the Day problems, and Number Talks.
Social Studies: Students will work on biographies and poems.
Science: Students will continue working with rocks, and begin their own rock collection. Students will explore the playground and surrounding areas to find as many different types of rocks as possible. Using their knowledge of properties, the students will classify the rocks and begin sorting them based on the different properties they observe.
Literacy: Students will work on biographies and poems.
Writing: Students will begin writing their first person speech for the wax museum.
*There won't be any new spelling words going home on February 11. Our next list will come home on February 25.*
Read Aloud: The BFG by Roald Dahl - We will finish!