Prairie Point Express
November 13, 2020
Monday, November 16
- Mindfulness Week Kickoff
- Spirit Day: Sweat It Out (Sweatpants Day)
- Mindfulness Practice: Exercise
Tuesday, November 17
Spirit Day: Twin Day (Dress up with a friend or dress in stripes)
Mindfulness Practice: Talking to a friend
Wednesday, November 18
Spirit Day: Mismatch Day
Mindfulness Practice: Laughter
Thursday, November 19
Spirit Day: Hollywood Glam (Dress Up Day)
Mindfulness Practice: Eat Nutritious Foods
Friday, November 20
Spirit Day: Career Day (Dress for the job you want)
Mindfulness Practice: Goal Setting
Monday, November 23
Spirit Day: Comfortable Clothing Day
Mindfulness Practice: Meditation
Tuesday, November 24
Spirit Day: We are ONE Spirit Day!
Mindfulness Practice: Gratitude
Wednesday, November 25 - Friday, November 28
No School - Fall Break
Second Semester Enrollment - Deadline Extended
As we work to answer the questions raised by the Governor's announcement, we are extending the deadline for families to make a decision for their children's learning option for the second semester. This decision will now be due by noon on Thursday, November 19, 2020.
Here are some answers to questions you may have.
If I want my student to stay in their current learning option, do I need to do anything?
- No. You don’t need to do anything.
How do I switch my child’s learning option?
- You will be able to change learning options in the Parent Portal during the enrollment window from October 29 to November 19.
- There is a phone line set up during the enrollment window to answer questions. You can call the PHSD at 816-359-4044 during business hours from October 29 to November 19 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Could my child’s teacher change next semester?
The Park Hill Board of Education has adopted class-size guidelines for all grade levels in our elementary schools. To assure a quality learning environment for your child, we will be following these guidelines.
- While we are trying to keep students with their current teachers, there is a chance that their teachers might change, depending on how many students enroll in each option.
- Like this current semester, we cannot guarantee that students in Park Hill Online will receive a teacher from their home school.
When will I know my student’s teacher and schedule?
We will contact families by January 11, 2021, with information about their students' second-semester teachers and schedules.
For more answers to frequently asked questions, please go to ACADEMIC OPTIONS
The enrollment window to change your child's mode of learning the second semester opens on October 29 and now closes on November 19. More information can be found HERE.
Celebrating Mindfulness Before Thanksgiving
Reminder from our Recess Staff
The cold weather is upon us! Just a friendly reminder that students are expected to go out for recess each day. Appropriate clothing and shoes should be worn for outside activities. On days when the temperature and/or wind chill is above 20 degrees Fahrenheit and the playground is cleared of snow and ice, there will be outdoor recess.
Please put your child's name on their winter clothing (coats, gloves, hats, etc..). This will help us return your child's lost clothing to them quickly! Due to COVID-19, we will not let our Lost and Found closet fill up as much as we have in the past which means we will make more frequent donations to the Park Hill Clothing Center.
Students with Cold Symptoms
Specials Spotlight with Library Media Specialist Mrs. Easley
First graders have been reading books about robots and characters who code and invent. They have been learning that humans program technology using algorithms, or a series of directions in a specific order. They have practiced creating algorithms using the app Scratch Jr on their iPads. They can drag the blocks to the programming area to create an algorithm for the character to follow. They are showing great problem-solving skills!
Repeat: Report Cards for 1st Quarter
Students will bring home their first-quarter report cards on Friday. Families can also access 1st quarter report cards through Infinite Campus on November 6th. Directions for accessing report cards can be found below. Should you have any questions, please reach out to the Prairie Point office or your student's teacher! We are so proud of each of our Pioneers' hard work and learning during the first quarter!
November Curriculum Connection
Check out the linked Curriculum Connections below to see what our Pioneers will be working on in each subject area during the month of November! We want to share the learning topics at all of the grade levels so that you are familiar with what topics and content are taught this month! Your child's teacher is always happy to provide more details should you have questions!
Prairie Point's 2020 Major Saver Contactless Fundraiser
Major Saver cards are available for purchase to obtain some great discounts at local businesses. Sales of the cards provide a benefit for the Education Foundation AND Prairie Point Elementary! Major Saver will adhere to all district requirements to ensure the health and safety of students and staff at all times.
Students may return any sales packets to school beginning November 9th. Students who are participating in remote/online learning will have the ability to participate via an “online campaign.” Cards will be mailed directly to the customers on a daily basis. Student prizes will be dropped off at each home school for a parent pick-up at a later date.
Thanks again for your continued support of the Park Hill School District Education Foundation.
What is an AMI (Alternate Method of Instruction) Day?
- If there were to be a "snow" day this year, students would continue to learn from home by having an AMI day. As we approach the winter months, we want to share our school's plan for what learning will be on an AMI day.
- Dr. Todtfeld will email ALL Pioneer Families at 7:30 am to let them know that they and their students will receive communication from their child's classroom teacher no later than 9:00 am. Your student's teacher will communicate learning plans for the day, including any times for zoom meetings and the specific learning plan for your students. For more information, see details at the link HERE.
- One of the ways we will alert you to an AMI distance learning day is a text alert. If you have not yet opted in to receive texts from the Park Hill School District, text Y to the shortcode 67587 from the phone number you have already provided to the Park Hill School District.
Prairie Point Spirit Wear
Notes from our PTA
Our PTA subscribes to the Membership Tool Kit service for our family and faculty directories, online store, volunteer signups and email communications. It's secure, easy to use, and free to families.
Please go to the site below, create your account and follow the steps to register your family. You can specify what information you'd like to appear in the directory - or choose not to appear at all.
Register at https://prairiepointpta.membershiptoolkit.com/
Thanks for attending our PTA Meeting on Tuesday, November 10, and thanks to our business partners. If interested in becoming a business partner sponsor, please reach out to Prairie Point PTA.
This week we would like to say thank you to Stinnett Stone & Supply for supporting the Prairie Point Families.
Stinnett Stone & Supply, LLC, is a family owned and operated business. The family business includes three generations with over 135 years of experience managing projects and operating heavy equipment. Stinnett Stone & Supply, LLC is a fully insured general contractor licensed and bonded, specializing in excavation, extending services to meet both small and large projects. We pride ourselves in doing quality work safely and employing experienced and skilled operators. The success of our company relies on our ability to work safely, maintain reliable and quality equipment, providing our customers the best possible service, while saving them time as well as money. We are pleased to offer our experience, equipment, personnel and knowledge to complete your next project on time and within budget. Contact us today!!
Repeat: Important Lost and Found Information
Please put your child's name on their winter clothing (coats, gloves, hats, etc..). This will help us return your child's lost clothing to them quickly!
Reminder: Send students with water bottles
Repeat: November Habit Focus- Put First Things First
This month, our focus will be Put First Things First. All students will study this habit and learn to make it part of their everyday lives. Consider how you can discuss this habit at home as a family!
Repeat: Do You Know A Park Hill Star?
The Park Hill Star recognition program was started in 2015 to celebrate support staff and teachers whose work is especially noteworthy.
The following is an overview of the Park Hill Star Program:
Our employees are the reason we are so successful here in the Park Hill School District, and we would like to recognize them for all they do for our students.
That is why we present the Park Hill Star award once a month to a pre-K or elementary teacher, a secondary teacher and a support employee.
REPEAT: Community Food Kits for Park Hill Families
Park Hill has once again partnered with Feed Northland Kids for a FREE community food kit. These kits contain things like bread, peanut butter, granola bars, pasta and canned goods. They will be distributed at the same time and location bulk school meals are distributed. For more information regarding school provided meals read here.
If you are interested in a voucher for free food, you must sign up HERE.
If you sign up for the COMMUNITY FOOD KIT, you are agreeing that you will be able to pick it up.
WHERE: Park Hill Support Services Center at 9501 N. Seymore Ave., Kansas City, MO 64153.
TIME: 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every week on Wednesdays starting September 30, 2020.
A limited number of families will be selected. It is first come, first serve to those who have filled out the form in its entirety. Slots will go to those who can pick up the food.
- Once you sign up, I will email out the voucher.
- Show the paper voucher or a digital copy on your cell phone upon arrival.
- You will use the same voucher for weekly visits.
- This voucher is good for 1 Community Food Kit.
- If you have other students at other schools, only sign up for one voucher per family.
Please contact Marla Anderson, School Social Worker, with any questions. Her phone number is 816-359-6379.
REPEAT: Yearbook Orders
To Order Your Yearbook:
- Visit: ybpay.lifetouch.com
- Enter Yearbook ID Code: 1724721
- School Name: Prairie Point Elem School
REPEAT: E-Backpack (Electronic Fliers)
Currently in the E-Backpack:
- Fliers for Online Clubs hosted by Community Education
- Party Flier (Ordering Birthday Treats through Food Service)
- Yearbook Order Form
- Directory Invite to Families
Repeat: Birthday Treats
Repeat: Technology Use at Home
Here are some general guidelines and best practices for laptop use at home.
Thank you for your support. If you have any technology issues or questions, please contact the Help Desk Monday - Friday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 816-359-5000.
Our 5 Pillars of Prevention
Please take some time to learn about Prairie Point's Health and Safety Precautions. Click here to access our matrix and other health information.
Prairie Point Mission
Prairie Point Elementary School provides all children with a safe, caring educational environment that focuses on high expectations and promotes lifelong learning.
To create a safe and caring student centered environment, to empower students to be independent learners, problem solver, and responsible citizens in the 21st Century.
At Prairie Point School, we value:
- Keeping the focus on the student
- Continuous learning and professional growth
- Warm, caring, open-minded environment
- High expectations for all students and adults
- Team work and collaboration
- Empathetic approach with our actions.