5th Grade News
May 13, 2016
Click on the box below to sign up to help with End of Year stuff
Field Day-Friday, May 20th
- Bring a plastic or disposable water bottle (to refill throughout the day)
- Change of clothes and a towel (for water stations)
- Tennis shoes or water shoes (No “slides,” flip flops, or open toed shoes allowed) Students are encouraged to wear “old” or “play” shoes because they will get wet and dirty.
- Plan to wear shorts and a bright colored shirt. If girls choose to wear bathing suits they must be worn under their shorts and shirt. Students must still abide by CMS dress code regulations.
- Apply sunscreen before school and provide extra if needed
- Mon., May 16- LAST CHANCE TO ORDER RITA'S ICE FOR FIELD DAY ($2)
- Fri., May 20- Field Day & Parent's Night Out (movie night)
- Fri., May 27 & Mon., May 30 NO SCHOOL (Teacher Workday & Memorial Day)
- Tues.- Thurs., May 31-June 2- 5th Grade EOGs (order to be determined)
- Mon.-Wed., June 6-8-"5th Grade Celebration" Week (more info coming soon)
- Wed., June 8 @6:30-5th Grade Promotion Ceremony
Math- EOG Review Week #4
We will continue to review all of the standards that were taught this year. Our class time is spent focusing on a specific standard and skill in class, however, their NIGHTLY HOMEWORK will continue to spiral several different standards at once.
Please use the links below to have your child practice Everything Fractions. Most of the questions on the Math EOG will focus on these.
Continue practicing multiplication facts at home. Fractions are the bulk of the 5th Grade Math EOG and knowing their multiplication facts makes this easier.
English Language Arts (Reading)
Next week we will be reviewing poetry, grammar, and affixes for the Reading EOG. Poetry can be tricky because poems are seldom what they appear because of similes, metaphors, and all types of figurative language. There will continue to be a passage for "HOMEWORK" nightly. Students will get some time in class to complete the passage and questions, however, if your child does not finish, it will become homework. We will focus on using test-taking strategies to analyze and answer the questions.
Please make sure your child is still reading a fiction book for enjoyment and jotting nightly. This book should come back and forth from school to home.
Science- EOG Review Week #2
This week began reviewing for the Science EOG by revisiting our units on Matter, Heat Transfer, Ecosystems, and Weather. Next week, we will be continuing to work on Weather and Force & Motion. Be on the look out for nightly Science homework.
In preparation for the Science EOG, all the vocabulary lists from every unit we have covered this school year have been placed on my Weebly. To practice vocabulary words, I would suggest creating vocabulary flash cards with the word on the front and the definition with examples on the back to promote further understanding. This will definitely help students as they take their Science EOG on Friday, June 3rd.
Promotion Ceremony Invitation
You should have received an email containing your invitation to the 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony. The ceremony will be on Wednesday, June 8th at 6:30 p.m. Please feel free to forward/send the link to anyone else you would like to have an invitation.
If you did not get an invitation, 1st-check your junk mail (from pingg.com) if you can not find it, 2nd-click on the following link. http://www.pingg.com/view_announcements/a655njd7kd84p8x37/index .