Effects of Down syndrome
Increased risk of
- congenital heart defects
- respiratory problems
- hearing problems
- sleep related difficulties
- autism spectrum conditions
- Disruptive, impulsive, inattentive, hyperactive and oppositional behaviors
- deficiency in social situations
Mode of Inheritance
Most people with down syndrome do no inherit this trait. It is a random abnormal arrangement in the reproductive cells of the parents.
In some cases a parent can be a carrier of these abnormal arrangement of chromosomes, but not have down syndrome. This would lead to the result of a child with down syndrome if that parent reproduces.
Effect on the Human Population
About 1 out of every 691 births, is the ratio for the risk of a child with down syndrome. in the world today 400,000 people are living with down syndrome. This can effect the human population because people with this condition cannot reproduce and have offspring.
Treatment of Symptoms
- early educational therapy to help a child learn more and get a head start on education, so they will not be as behind in school
- Physical therapy so their muscles can develop more
- Speech therapy so it is easier for them to be understood.
- Emotional therapy so that people with down syndrome can be more comfortable in social situations.
- Drugs and Supplements to help reduce or lessen inner body deformities or problems
Some orginizations that help people with down syndrome are:
Risks Of having this disorder
The risks of having this disorder are more likely when someone in one's family has down syndrome since it is in the genes of your family.
- Dreamscape Foundation | Sharing the Dream , Join the Fight - Down Syndrome. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2015. http://www.dreamscapefoundation.com/down_syndrome
- "Down Syndrome." Enabled Kids. N.p., 01 Nov. 2013. Web. 10 Apr. 2015. http://enabledkids.ca/down-syndrome/
- "Genetic Disorders." Gene Therapy. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2015. http://genmed.yolasite.com/genetic-disorders.php
- "Usual Karyotype Male Down Syndrome." Usual Karyotype Male Down Syndrome. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2015. http://bodysmartinc.com/photouid/usual-karyotype-male-down-syndrome
- "Down Syndrome." Genetics Home Reference. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2015. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/down-syndrome
- "Understanding Speech Language Characteristics of Children With Down Syndrome." The New Age Parents. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2015. http://thenewageparents.com/understanding-speech-language-characteristics-of-children-with-down-syndrome/