Harpies In Greek Mythology
Ally, Kailee, Lindsey, Clarissa
What do Harpies look like?
- Depicted as both beautiful winged maidens and winged monsters.
- Sometimes depicted as ugly old women with crooked claws.
- They have the wings and body of a bird.
- The name harpy comes from the Greek word "snatcher"
- There are three Harpies named Alleo, Celaeno, and Ocypete
- They are the mothers' to Achilles talking horses.
- They are associated with bad weather because of their names; Alleo means storm, Celaeno means black cloud and Ocypete means swift flier.
Harpies in pop culture
- Harpies came be found in the video game God of War 2
- They can also be found in the Harry Potter books as the name of an all female quidditch called the Holy-head Harpies.
Harpies were in both the Odyssey and the Iliad. They are mentioned in the Iliad as the mothers of Achilles' talking horses.In the Odyssey the were mentioned as winds that carried people away.