the PENN NEWSLETTER
Coin Drive for the Muscular Dystrophy Association
Technology Fundraising Campaign
Although much of the technology used by Penn students is provided by the District, many of the iPads and Chromebooks have actually been purchased by the Penn PTO. We currently need to replace 30 Chromebook laptops and we are asking families to consider a direct donation toward this cause.
Your donation will help to ensure that our students continue to have frequent opportunities to build the skills they need to be successful in today’s digital world. If every able family at Penn were to contribute just $10-$50, our goal would be met.
To donate please go to https://iccsdfoundation.org/choose-a-campaign/ and choose "Penn Elem PTO Technology Campaign" from the drop-down menu. Please make your gift by April 30th. Thank you for supporting the Penn and the Penn PTO!
"Pay to Ride" Bus Program
The Iowa City Community School District Transportation Department would like to notify you of the 2018-19 Pay to Ride Program.
The Program details are listed below:
- The program is provided on a space-available, time-available, first-come, first-served basis. Participation is limited according to capacity as determined by the District, and is available to students in grades K-12.
- The program is only available on existing bus routes and at existing stops. No additional routes and or stops will be considered for pay-to-ride students after the deadline.
- Buses provided specifically for special education students are not eligible for this program.
- Bus stop locations and times are assigned by Durham School Services.
- Availability of seats and location of bus stops is subject to change based on changes in enrollment, boundaries, and other factors determined by the District or Durham, and can occur at any time. When changes to routes or stops occur, families utilizing pay-to-ride busing will be notified at the same time that the families of eligible students are notified.
- Students must be picked up and dropped off at their assigned location only. Pick-up and drop-off must be at the same location.
- Requests for a change in a student’s bus stop will only be honored if the student’s address has changed.
- No guest students will be allowed to ride along with pay-to-ride students.
- All students riding the bus are subject to the rules and regulations of conduct and safety established by the District and Durham. The District and Durham use video cameras on school buses as a means to maintain a safe environment for students and staff.
- Refunds will be granted for any unused full trimester purchased for the current school year.
- No refunds or rate adjustments will be made for days buses cannot operate because of weather or other circumstances beyond the control of Durham or the District.
- Payments can be made online via the District’s website or by mailing a check. Fee is charged on a per year basis.
Payment and Fees for Service
- Pay-to-ride fee is:
- $432 per student, per year, round trip
- $260 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for reduced price lunch
- $0 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for free lunch
- Full payments must be made in advance no later than June 14, 2018, to be included on a bus roster for the start of the school year.
Application Due Date: June 1, 2018
Payment Due: June 14, 2018
· Applications will be accepted after the due dates while capacity remains on existing routes. (Note: Students will only be assigned to existing bus stops and routes; buses will not be re-routed to accommodate requests.)
- Students are not eligible to ride until payment is received and application is approved.
- To apply for pay-to-ride busing, please download the following form:
- Pay-to-Ride Student Transportation Application
- Payment can be made online or checks should be made payable to Iowa City Community School District
- Mail or bring your application and payment, if paying by check, to the following address:
Iowa City Community School District
Att.: Esme Davis
1725 N Dodge Street
Iowa City, IA 52245
- Iowa City Community School District will begin processing applications upon receipt, in the order they are received. Each application and payment will be kept on file until it is determined the student is eligible for a seat on the bus.
If you are interested in participating in this pay-to-ride program please return the application no later than June 1, 2018 and payment must be made in advance no later than June 14, 2018, to be considered for a bus roster for the start of the school year.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email or by phone.
Mileage Club is still needs help
April 28: Penn Night at Ghurtie's
April 30 - May 4: Collecting coins to donate to MDA
May 1: Last day parent input for next year's teacher will be accepted (see form above)
May 14: 5th and 6th grade Track & Field Meet at City High @ noon
May 16: Music performances for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. Times listed above.
May 21 - 25: 6th graders attend School of the Wild
May 30: LAST DAY of SCHOOL; Dismissal 1 hour early at 1:55pm
May 30: 6th grade Celebration @ 8:15am
It is the policy of the Iowa City Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Kingsley Botchway II, Director of Equity, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245, 319-688-1000, Botchway.Kingsley@iowacityschools.org.