Blanchard HS Band
April 2016 Newsletter
Here comes April!
There are many things happening during this time of year, for band and for many other classes and activities. Please help your student stay organized and on top of things so all can run smoothly!
Also, please check out the calendar, as it has been updated to reflect all info for spring and summer band. We apologize for the late info; we were waiting for the official school calendar before we published ours.
Calendar of Upcoming Events (always available on Charms!)
- April 4th, Final trip payment due
- April 4th, Guard clinic; @HS band room; 3:30-5:30pm
- April 5th, Guard auditions; @HS band room; 3:30pm
- April 6th, Drumline clinic; @HS band room; 3:30-5:00pm (every Wednesday)
- April 9th, Bowl-a-thon @The Alley; 12-2pm
- April 12th, Incoming Freshman Orientation (only for those signed up on Charms)
- April 15th, Leadership Council Applications due (including projects)
- April 16th, Prom!
- April 19th, State Solo & Ensemble Contest @OSU in Stillwater
- April 20th, State Band Contest @East Central University in Ada
- April 22nd, No school
- April 25th, Scott Lang Leadership workshop
- April 26th, Final Band Booster meeting of the year @HS Band room; 7:00pm
- April 29th, Blanchard MS Band Festival (student volunteers on Charms)
- April 29th, No school
- May 2nd, Mandatory Travel meeting for ALL NYC travelers; 7:00pm @HS band room
- May 7th, Band Banquet @First United Methodist Church
- May 8th, No school
- May 12th, HS Spring Concert @Catlett Music Center, Univ. of Oklahoma; 7:00pm
- May 13th, No schools
- May 16th, Graduation
- May 18th, Last day of school
- May 19th & 20th, Band Spring Training Days; 9:00am-3:00pm
- May 26th-29th, Trip to NYC!!!!
- July 25th-29th, Summer Band; 2:00pm-10:00pm
- August 1st-5th, Summer Band; 2:00pm-10:00pm
- August 8th, Evening rehearsal; 6:30-9:00pm
- August 9th, Evening rehearsal; 6:30-8:00pm
- August 9th, Parent Performance; 8:00pm
- August 11th, First day of school!
Check Charms to make sure your student's account is in good financial standing. If your student checked out breakfast tickets or coupon books and haven't sold them or turned them in, there is a negative charge to the account.
Scott Lang Leadership Workshop
Summer Band Information - Important!
If a student has to miss 4 or more days of summer band for any reason, he/she will automatically be made an alternate.
The schedule will be the same as last year, with times running from 2:00pm-10:00pm with a dinner break from 5:30-6:30pm.
TRIP NOTICE! Airfare was $20 higher than we estimated so every person traveling with the band to NYC will pay $20 more for their final payment. If you already paid off your trip, send $20 more by the final trip payment. Students can still fundraise this amount if they choose. Thank you!
Mandatory Travel Meeting - Monday, May 2nd
NYC Walking - update!
Spring Softball & Baseball Concessions
Calling All Band Banquet Photos!
Maydaze Garage Sale
Background checks for volunteers
HS Band Students of the Month!
- Benji is a freshman flute player who is also a fantastic piccolo player! He is one of the featured soloists on our state contest music. He has made numerous honor bands, takes private lessons, and also participates in solo and ensemble. Benji is very interested in learning other instruments, so he has also taught himself the violin, clarinet and is now working on the horn during honor band class. He has an amazing natural talent for music and is always pushing to learn more. He is currently second chair in the HS band and is a wonderful member of our band family. Thank you for always pushing to be better, Benji!
- Ana is a freshman clarinet player who has stepped up in a major way this year. She was already a leader in the middle school, and as she moved up to high school she didn't back off! Ana is always working to know her music better and even more importantly, to offer her help to others in her section. She has come in early and stayed after school numerous times to work with her section and as a result, the whole clarinet section has improved immensely! She is the highest seated freshman clarinet and the way she's going, the top better watch out! Keep being an outstanding example to your section and our band, Ana!
How to get credit for your monthly newsletter grade! Due by Tuesday, April 26th!
Remember, newsletters are only accepted during the month of the newsletter. Once the month has passed, that newsletter can no longer be submitted.