5th GRADE NEWS
News from @math.magician, @mrs.griffis, and @teacher_pence
ELAR (English Language Arts & Reading)
Esperanza Rising novel, by Pam Munoz Ryan. Students are studying characters and their roles and functions in literature. We are also learning how to use context clues to determine word meanings. Next week we will focus on theme and figurative language.
Words to Know:
- infer (to determine or figure out using text evidence and your thinking)
- conclude (synonym for infer)
- figurative language (words or expressions with different meanings that what they seem. For example, similes, metaphors, and idioms)
- Greek/Latin Root dic- (meaning say), like "dictator" or "dictionary";
- Greek/Latin Root port- (meaning carry), like in "transportation" or "portable" or "deportation"
Science / Social Studies
Social Studies:We have begun to unravel the mystery of early colonization, and the motives for risking the difficult journey from Europe into unfriendly territory in what will become our great nation. Next week we will start to understand how these colonizes survived the challenges brought on by the Americas, and what led the colonies to rise up and fight for Independence.
This week we are learning how to divide decimals.
Next, we will add and subtract fractions.
Math Website of the Week: www.mathplayground.com