Wolcott's Weekly "What's Up?"
Office of Teaching & Learning 9.15.2014
Calkins Norming Sessions
Instructional Resource Specialists will be meeting with grade level teachers over the next several weeks to develop a common understanding of our student writing expectations using the recently administered On-Demand Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions. As Calkins' writes in Writing Pathways, "Sometimes we score kids lower or higher based on our own expectations. Instead teachers should think about where their students are in relation to grade level and on the learning progression (pg. 82). It is our goal that the time spent getting us all on the same page during these meetings will lead to enhanced individual student growth in the area of writing.
- For a teacher's perspective on "Norming Sessions", please see the blog below.
Norming Session Schedule
Monday, September 29 8:00-11:00 am
- Kindergarten: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek
Monday, September 29 12:30-3:30 pm
- First Grade: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek (Katie Matthews)
Tuesday, September 30 8:00-11:00 am
- Bilingual Self-Contained: All Elementary Schools
Tuesday, September 30 12:30-3:30 pm
- Sixth Grade: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek
Wednesday, October 1 8:00-11:00 am
- Second Grade: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek
Wednesday, October 1 12:30-3:30 pm
- Third Grade: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek (Don Mrozik)
Thursday, October 2 8:00-11:00 am
- Fourth Grade: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek
Thursday, October 2 12:30-3:30 pm
- Fifth Grade: Edgewood, Sipley, Willow Creek (Tanya Hughes)
Monday, October 6 8:00-11:00 am
- Kindergarten: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich (Regina Leeberg)
Monday, October 6 12:30-3:30 pm
- First Grade: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich
Tuesday, October 7 8:00-11:00 am
- Sixth Grade: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich (Justin Warnke)
Wednesday, October 8 8:00-11:00 am
- Second Grade: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich (Sue Futterer)
Wednesday, October 8 12:30-3:30 pm
- Third Grade: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich
Thursday, October 9 8:00-11:00 am
- Fourth Grade: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich (Paul Scaletta)
Thursday, October 9 12:30-3:30 pm
- Fifth Grade: Meadowview, Murphy, Goodrich
Please Note: Staff will receive substitute coding information for AESOP by Tuesday, 9/16.
Principals Encouraged to Submit School Highlights for the 2014 Report Card
This October, the second annual release of the Illinois School Report Card gives principals an opportunity to showcase their schools.
Since test scores don’t tell a school’s whole story, the School Report Card (available at www.illinoisreportcard.com) includes principal-submitted information on courses, programs and awards in the School Highlights section. Principals can update this information year-round, but updates made prior to the 2014 release are more likely to reach a large audience.
The School Highlights section was very popular during the 2013-14 school year. Based on feedback from parents and principals, this section is now more prominent on the Report Card. Principals also have new tools for deciding what appears on their highlights section, including the ability to write their own description of their school’s courses, programs and awards. The School Highlights are also taking center stage on the new School Comparison page, which allows parents, educators and community members to review up to four schools side-by-side.
Principals interested in updating their school’s highlights section can log into MyIIRC (iirc.niu.edu/MyIIRC/Principal.aspx) to access their form. Principals who have not yet registered for MyIIRC can register at http://iirc.niu.edu/MyIIRC/Register.aspx, using a school access code from their district superintendent.
Superintendents are receiving the access codes by email and can also request the codes at any time by emailing email@example.com or calling (815) 753-0978.
Principals and superintendents will have a chance to review the Report Card on Oct. 15, and the Report Card will be released to the public on Oct. 31.
On the Radar
- School Improvement Day 9/19
- Greg at Meadowview for Special Education Audit Review 9/19 8:30-9:00 am
- Discussion with Non-Certified Staff 2:30-3:30 pm @ JJHS Band Room
- Greg at Murphy for Special Education Audit Review 9/22 3:00-3:3:0 pm
- Teaching and Learning Team Meeting 2:00-3:30 pm @ Edgewood
- Greg at Edgewood for Special Education Audit Review 9/25 3:00-3:3:0 pm
- Greg at Willow Creek for Special Education Audit Review 9/29 3:00-3:3:0 pm
- After School Programming begins 9/30