STRICT PARENTING IS NOT THE WAY 2GO
by: Manpreet Sohal
Who Are Strict Parents?
They are the ones that set up very strict guidelines to their children. These kinds of parents believe that to be able to guide their kids in the right direction, they need to make sure that all their rules are sternly implemented and are unbendable. These parents tend to guide their children by controlling them in almost everything they do. Every decision that children make are also based on the guidance of their parents.
This kind of parenting approach is not good though. Because even if parents think that they are being good parents, they are affecting their children negatively in ways that they may not see.
But what parents don't understand is that strict discipline often has its price. a high price!!
Why is strict parenting bad for children?
Strict parents often cause their children emotional and psychological problems because they tend to get in the development of their kids’ personal growth. Most children with strict parents tend to be overly shy and have very low self-esteem. Dependence is also one effect of strict parenting to children. Children that are brought up in strict families have various negative effects on them though some of the major effects that strict parents have on their children are as follows:
- Many kids who are raised by authoritarian parents show sign of psychological problems like depression and anxiety, and some even resort to suicide.
- Kids who are trained to have high grades in school as their primary objective only becomes good in rote learning, and lacks creativity and imagination.
- Kids who are raised to be submissive tend not to form their own ideas and opinions, and have a subservient attitude.
- Strict parenting deprives kids of the opportunity to internalize self-discipline and responsibility
- Kids raised with harsh discipline tend to be more rebellious
- Kids raised with strict discipline learn that power is always right
- Children brought up by strict parents have a higher risk of easily getting involved in sexual relationship
- The children also are at higher to risk to consumer alcohol and drugs (due to stress and depression)
- Children are also more likely to get into abusive relationship as they get older because When kids aren’t given the freedom to make their own choices, they can fall prey to an abuser because they’ve grown accustomed to being told what to do and how to do it.