Kingswood's Weekly Update
April 22, 2021
Hello to all KIngswood Families
I hope your week is going well. Excitement is growing as we get ready to reveal the name of the book we will read for One School One Book. We have such fun activities planned and I hope that this Family Engagement activity increases students’ love of reading.
Students in Grades 3, 4, and 5 will participate in EOG testing this year. EOG testing will have to be taken in the school building, so those of you in Virtual Academy, please let us know if you are planning for your student(s) to attend school in person for these days. A survey was sent out and I will be calling those of you that I have not heard from. The dates are:
May 18th - 3rd Grade Reading
May 19th - 3rd Grade Math
May 20th - 4th Grade Reading
May 21st - 4th Grade Math
May 24th - 5th Grade Reading
May 25th - 5th Grade Math
May 27th - 5th Grade Science
May 28th - Read To Achieve Test for 3rd graders who do not pass EOG Reading or do not have another Good Cause Exemption. You will be notified if your third grader needs to take this test.
What is the benefit of taking the End-Of-Grade tests? We receive data from the state about results and we use this data for planning purposes. Also, since we have not had State Testing in a couple of years, it gives your student data needed for decisions about classes to take in middle school. We hope you can attend on these days. Testing will start as close to 9:15 as possible on all testing days.
Yesterday we had a “Yard Work” day at Kingswood. I am in Cary Central Rotary and Rotarians from my club along with staff from our school did a lot of yard clean up and spruce up. This Saturday members of Peace Presbyterian Church will have a “Yard Work” day at Kingswood. We are hoping to honor our Earth (today is Earth Day) by making sure we are taking care of the space we have. There is so much work to do as last year we did not have the opportunity to have these workdays. Please let me know if you and your family are interested in helping with this valiant effort and we will schedule time.
We will have PTA Board meeting virtually at 6:30 PM. Please join us! We are still in need of officers and committee chairs for next year. Please consider joining us as we work to make Kingswood the best place for students to learn and grow.
See you soon, The Specialists
The health and safety of our students and staff is of the upmost importance. All students will be required to wear masks as we all need to follow the 3W's (wait 6 ft, wear a mask, wash hands frequently). This return to school guide is a good place to start for getting your questions answered https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yg8St2cQtu4u-aQpY8ouHd7XZmRitwP4/view
Please have your child practice wearing a mask if they have not done so before so as to make the transition easier for them. Let them know there will be a health screening before they enter the building.
- Car riders: will arrive in the same fashion as last year. One recent change is that we are no longer required to do a health screening of your child in the morning. However, if your child has a fever or is not feeling well, please do not send them to school and do not give them fever reducing medications and then send them to school.
- Breakfast is being served in the Cafeteria. If your child is a car rider, please try and get them to school by 8:45 so they have enough time to eat and get to class by 9:05. We are finding quite a few people are coming to school late this year.
Dismissal: Students will all be dismissed from the classroom. Car riders: when you pull up in line make sure your carpool tag is prominently displayed. If you do not have one, the staff member who is identifying the cars will ask your name and ask if you need a tag. You will receive a tag (with your student) during the first week. Since dismissal will take longer than usual please have patience as we do our best to keep all the children safe and socially distanced. Bus riders: as always in the beginning of the year dismissal takes a bit longer than later in the year. If you would like to know where the bus is, please download the "Here Comes the Bus" app and follow the directions here https://www.wcpss.net/Page/35380 Please have patience as we make sure students are socially distanced for dismissal and everyone can stay safe.
- Water fountains are closed at the present time. Please send your child to school with a water bottle. If that is not possible, we will have cups available for students to get a drink of water from the sink in their classroom.
- Students are required to wear a face covering at all times while on the bus. Drivers will submit a bus incident form if a student arrives at the stop without a face covering. Drivers will have a supply of face coverings to give to students who don’t have them. This video shows parents and students all the bus health and safety procedures.
- EC Riders: A parent/guardian should wear a face covering to accompany the student to the vendor vehicle while maintaining a six-foot distance from other passengers. The student will need to pass the symptom screening checklist and a temperature check before boarding the vehicle. The parent/guardian will need to answer the symptom screening questions for the student. If the parent/guardian does not accompany the student to the vehicle, the driver should ask the student the symptom screening checklist questions. The driver should use their best judgment if the child can respond on their own. If the student cannot respond on their own, the driver will perform a temperature check only and notify school staff upon arrival at school.
- Training on student boarding procedures, along with bus safety training, is required for ALL students during the first week of school. This is a State of North Carolina requirement. Drills that include physically evacuating out of the rear emergency door are not proposed this year given the amount of close contact.
Visitors: will not be allowed in the building. If you come to school to pick up your child ring the doorbell (or follow the instructions we have verbally given you over the phone if your child is sick) and we will come to the door to speak with you.