- n 1861 Stevens became chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee and helped to secure passage of the legislation needed to finance the Civil War.
- Stevens was elected to Congress in 1848 and 1850, becoming noted for his attacks on the South during debates on the Compromise of 1850.
- Stevens's intelligence and absolute mastery of political invective made him a frequent spokesman for his party, but his occasional erratic and impulsive actions and his singular ability to end up on the losing side in intraparty struggles kept him from achieving high office.
- Andrew Johnson's
Civil Rights Act of 1866
- the proclamation appears to have been crafted to achieve certain military goals rather than advance the abolitionist movement per se.
- The declaration of freedom for blacks in the rebel states was intended to destabilize plantation society by encouraging slaves to challenge authority.
- Not surprisingly, slaves would begin to challenge their authority in ways that served as a distraction to the war effort.
- Abraham Lincoln
- Andrew Johnson
- Height is 5 Feet 10 inchs
- Andrew Johnson was born in a log cabin in north Carolina
- he likes to drink
- US Grant died of cancer of the tongue and tonsils
- Buried-Grant's tomb,New York
- The next president was rutherford hayes
- US Grant