Week of 9/13/2021
.... It's a GREAT place to be!
Birmingham Covington Schools (BCS)
Office Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
9/13/21 - Week's Events
*denotes more information provided below
- 3/4 Curriculum Night 6-8 p.m.
- Yom Kippur begins at sundown
- Yom Kippur ends at sundown
- Consitution Day!
- Grades 7/8 Curriculum Night: Thursday, September 23, 6-8:45 p.m.
- Picture Day: Thursday, September 23
All School News
Greetings, BCS Families!
It was wonderful to see many of our 5/6 families last night for Curriculum Night! We look forward to welcoming our 3/4 families on Monday, September 13 from 6-8 PM. We will then welcome our 7/8 families the following week on Thursday, September 23 from 6-8:45 P.M.
It is inspiring to watch our community go back into full gear with all the exciting learning happening in and out of the classroom. We appreciate your partnership and ongoing support!
Have a fantastic weekend!
Yours in BCS solidarity,
Dr. Hakim & Mr. Hill
BCS Choice Hour
- Choice Hour runs daily from 3:20-4:10pm
- Busses come AFTER Choice Hour
Choice Hour Schedules
Schedules are available online listed by Student ID number HERE.
Updated class lists will also be given to the teachers weekly while we process choice hour changes. The master schedule is also posted on the Choice Hour Board in the main hall. Our teachers do a great job of acclimating our students to Choice Hour the first few weeks!
Choice Hour Changes
The change period for Quarter I is over. Changes will be published on the public schedule no later than Monday September 13.
Reporting a Choice Hour Absence
Email BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us or leave a message at 248.203.4625
Questions? Contact Courtney Bassett at BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us
Media Center Notes
- FAQs: When does your class come down for checkout? What can you do in the library? What does the library curriculum cover? Get the basics on the BCS Library 2021-22 offerings here.
- Birthday Book Club: Celebrate your child’s birthday in a special way and help our library collection continue to grow! If you choose to participate in the program, your child will be invited to select a new book from our Birthday Book Club cart on or near your child’s birthday (summer birthdays will celebrated during the month of their half birthday). Inside the book we will place a bookplate with your child’s name, photo, and birthday. If you are interested in joining, complete the Birthday Book Club registration form and return it along with the $15 (per child) donation to the BCS Library. Make checks payable to BCS.
- Volunteers: Do you love to organize with great attention to detail? Do you enjoy light exercise, including squats and light lifting? Do you find it satisfying to tidy up vibrant public spaces? Shelving books might just be the perfect hobby for you! Please contact Ann Truesdell at email@example.com if you are interested in helping out in the BCS Media Center.
Birmingham Physical Education 5th Grade Run!
Announcements from Chartwells
BCS is going cashless:
With Send Money to School, families can add money to their children's meal accounts from home or work. You can eliminate the risk of lost checks, lost cash or playground thievery. Conveniently deposit money, check balances, see what your children are eating, and more. SendMoneyToSchool.com even allows you to transfer funds, set parental controls such as spending limits, pay fees, pay fines, and buy school merchandise quickly and easily. With your help, we can make the BCS lunch line a smooth, fast and sanitary process.
If students would like to continue to make a cash payments, the student can find Mr. Allen in the cafeteria during breakfast.
Attention all students! Want to be part of a fun club dedicated to making B C S a safe space for everyone?
Join BCS Pride! We meet every Tuesday 4:15-5pm in Room 600B. Email Mr. Joe for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
BCS Fall Athletics Update
- Student athletes need a current sports physical on file. Physicals need to be dated after April 15, 2021. Students can turn their physical into the Front Office.
- Orange Slips will be available in the Front Hall for students who have registered and have a current physical on file, beginning September 7th.
- There will be No Buses for athletics. Families are responsible for transportation for their student(s) to any competition off BCS property.
- Per the MHSAA, indoor sports players, coaches and spectators need to be masked.
- Please check individual sports websites for team notes.
Parent/Guardian Schoology Access
Parent/Guardian Schoology Access (this is separate from PowerSchool access which is the site parents should continue to use to check student grades). Schoology is where assignments are housed. Here are directions to create your parent account - https://www.birmingham.k12.mi.us/Page/11350
If the BCS Clinic needs to house medication for your student, please drop it off in the Front Office. Be sure you have an updated Permission to Administer form and Action Plan. These forms need to have a physician's signature. Contact Joni Say Gan at JSaygan@birmingham.k12.mi.us with any questions.
Early Dismissal Procedures
Please review these procedures to help keep your students and school safe.
- Buzz the front door
- Enter building and sign out student
- Show ID
- Student will be called to office
- Will be released after the office staff calls the teacher
- Student will be sent to the office
- Student will be released to the parent
STUDENT IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE CLASS UNTIL PARENT IS HERE. STUDENTS MUST BE SIGNED OUT IN THE OFFICE. STUDENTS CANNOT EXIT THROUGH ANY OTHER DOOR.
No Early Dismissal after 3:00 p.m
BCS Spirit Wear
New Covington Spirit Wear is now available to order! Shop the awesome new designs by heading to the online store. All Spirit Wear proceeds go directly to your BCS PTA. All orders are due by September 20th. If you have any questions contact Hollie Murray at email@example.com. Show your BCS spirit! We’ll notify you when you items are available for pickup at Bloomfield Sports Shop at 3594 W Maple Rd, Bloomfield Hills. If you prefer delivery to your home, the site allows for a flat delivery charge.
Schools Offer Support Helps BPS Families
Schools Offer Support (SOS) is a nonprofit organization that provides volunteer services and financial support to families throughout the Birmingham Public Schools community. During the pandemic, SOS was able to assist families in our community with more than $40,000 in grocery gift cards, monthly food boxes, laptops for graduating seniors, and financial assistance for childcare, medical, and utility bills.
The second annual Strides for SOS 5K and 1 Mile Run/Walk will take place this September 26, 2021. It's the largest fundraiser of the year for SOS. For more race details and to register, visit: https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/Birmingham/SOSMilesforMeals5kand1MileRace
Other Helpful Resource Links...
We are here to help support your child academically, socially and emotionally during this time. If you would like to request a counseling appointment for your son or daughter, just email his or her counselor using the contact information below. Your counselor will then respond in order to set up an appointment.
Please keep us updated if we can be of any help at this time.
Your BCS Counselors,
Karen Kohler - Last Names A-K (firstname.lastname@example.org) and
Jenny Wagner - Last Names L-Z (email@example.com)
If students are having trouble logging in to Schoology or if they found that upon entering, there were no classes, please contact the Help Desk at HelpDesk@birmingham.k12.mi.us or at (248) 203-3123.
Schoology Parent Introduction:
You should have received more information about Schoology, our learning management system. Please review the attached district resources for additional Schoology information.
Note: Your child's teachers will provide class-specific guidance to students/families as they begin to integrate Schoology's features in their courses.
Parent & Student Schoology Reference Page
Check out the Student Schoology Reference page! This document will provide students and parents with instructions on setting up their Schoology account, navigating Schoology, and performing everyday tasks in courses. This reference sheet may provide helpful resources for you to use to help your students become proficient with Schoology.