First UMC Sealy Digest
A look at happenings at First United Methodist Church Sealy
New Sermon Series, Lenten Bible Study Begins & Cereal Donations Needed This Month!
This Sunday, Feb. 14: 1st Sunday in Lent
We start a new Sermon Series this first week of Lent entitled, ‘John: The Gospel of Light and Life’ (Adam Hamilton). The purpose of this series is to bring you the message of hope … which is the essence of Lent. This Lenten study – sermon series, weekly bible study and personal devotion – leads us through a study of the many metaphors of John to help us understand the unique and inspiring Gospel. Often called the most theological of the Gospels, the Gospel of John tells the story of Jesus in ways that inspire us to discover Jesus through the many levels of John’s metaphors of bread, life, light, water, and vine. The Gospel of John is the most deeply spiritual of the four gospels.
Experience a season of spiritual growth and life-changing renewal these 40 days of Lent, while reading the entire Gospel of John and exploring the major themes.
See the complete schedule and find out more about our Lenten Journey
Lenten Bible Study starts Sunday. (In the Fellowship Hall: Sundays at 9 am and Mondays at 6:30 pm, starting THIS SUNDAY Feb. 14.) Share in our upcoming Lenten Bible Study with your church family and friends! Entitled "John: The Gospel of Light and Life," Pastor Curtis invites you to a experience spiritual growth and life-changing renewal, while reading the entire Gospel of John and exploring major themes. RSVP on our website or call the church office.
TOP TEN THINGS YOU CAN TRY FOR THE LENTEN SEASON:
- Try an electronic fast. Give up TV, video games, texting, tweeeting, e-mail and all things electronics for one day every week. (Or everyday of Lent!) Use the time to read and pray.
- Start a prayer rhythm. Say a prayer every time you brush your teeth, hear an ambulance, or check your e-mail. Before you text someone … pray for them.
- Read one chapter in the Bible each day. (Matthew is a good book to start with. Psalms, too.)
- Forgive someone who doesn’t deserve it (maybe even yourself.)
- Give up soft drinks, fast food, tea or coffee. Give the money you save to help others in crisis.
- Create a daily quiet time. Spend 30 minutes a day in silence and prayer.
- Cultivate a life of gratitude. Write someone a thank you letter each week and be aware of how many people have helped you along the way.
- Be kind to someone each day.
- Pray for others you see as you drive around town and to and from work.
- Volunteer one hour or more each week with a local shelter, tutoring program or nursing home etc.
AROUND FIRST UMC SEALY:
The FUMC offices will be closed this Monday, Feb. 15, for President’s Day. Be safe and have a wonderful weekend with your family.
Pastor Curtis will be out of the office next week at the annual Texas Conference Elder’s Retreat at the Lakeview Conference Center. Please pray for his safe travels.
First United Methodist Church Sealy celebrates our 130th birthday this year! To commemorate the special year of our church’s history, we are collecting or doing 130 things each month. This month, our goal is to collect and deliver 130 boxes of cereal to the Sealy Christian Food Pantry. Bring all you can! Donation boxes will be in the Narthex and Church Offices. (THANK YOU to all who brought FLOUR in January. Our church took more than 240 pounds of flour to the Pantry last week!)
Plans are underway for the 5th Annual Easter Eggstravaganza. Can your family or business sponsor a portion of this fun day? Please email Leslie Ellis if you’d like to partner with us! Scheduled for Palm Sunday, March 20, from 1-4 pm, we expect even more fun this year, with pony rides, bounce houses and more than 16,000 treat-filled eggs! Please bring bags of wrapped candy (no chocolate please). We’ll need lots of candy and help to prepare for this big First Sealy event.
WE ARE HIRING! We are seeking a Children’s/Youth Ministry Coordinator at First United Methodist Church in Sealy, to lead a vibrant program that provides a fun, effective way for children to develop a relationship with God and with each other for the transformation of the world. More information coming soon ... but email Pastor Curtis if you know someone who is interested!
COMING THIS MONTH & BEYOND
WEEK #1: LENTEN BROWN BAG LUNCH SERIES
Wednesday, Feb. 17th, 12pm
1752 FM 1489, BROOKSHIRE, Texas 77423
Brookshire, Fulshear, Pattison, and Sealy area Lenten Lunches: All area churches are invited to our “United Methodist Connection Lenten Brown Bag Lunches.”
Lent is a season of the Christian year when people are invited to simplify their lives to focus on their relationship with God in Christ. Everyone is invited to each host church to fellowship, worship, learn, and grow. So bring your brown bag lunch and join us. Schedule, maps and more details are on our website.
- Where: Brookwood CC 1752 FM 1489
- Speaker: Chp. Greg Glauser
- Where: First UMC Fulshear 8201 Harris St.
- Speaker: Dr. Mark Welshimer
- Where: First UMC Sealy 200 Atchison
- Speaker: Rev. Curtis Matthys
- Where: Pattison UMC 3711 Ave H
- Speaker: Rev. Ben Lohmer
- Where: First UMC Brookshire 707 Cooper St
- Speaker: Rev. Dottie Dumas
- Where: San Felipe UMC 201 Vicaro Guerero St
- Speaker: Rev. Joel McMahon III