Mrs. Smith's Scoop
February 9, 2016
School Calendar for 2015-2016 School Year- UPDATED
Progress Goals for 2015-2016 School Year
Important Start Dates
First day of School:
Term 9: February 10th
Term 10: February 24th
End of Semester 1:
Term 4: February 16th
Term 5: February 29th
*Students are expected to reach 50% in each of their courses by this time.
*Full time students should reach the following attendance goals:
K-2: 360 hours
3-5: 450 hours
Getting Started in Lower School with Mrs. Smith
November Coach to Coach Session Recording
December Coach to Coach Session Recording
Janurary Coach to Coach Session Recording
Student Spot Light
WAY TO GO!!
Check out some of the incredible videos here:
Are you doing cool stuff too? Just let Mrs. Smith know and you can be our next Student Spot Light
Journal: What do you Love?
I love to eat ______________.
I love to play with ______________.
I love it when my learning coach ______________..
I love to ______________.
I really love ______________.
Joke: Did you hear about the nearsighted porcupine?
He fell in love with a pin cushion.
February Fun Facts
1. The birthstone for February is Amethyst.
2. Two zodiac signs for February are Aquarius (January 20 - February 18) and Pisces (February 19 - March 20)
3. The month has 29 days in leap years, when the year number is divisible by four. In common years the month has 28 days.
4. Viola (plant) and the Primrose are the birth flowers.
5. Black History Month is celebrated in Canada and United States.
6. National Day of the Sun is celebrated in Argentina.
7. In order to complete the Soviet Union's victory in Stalingrad during World War II, the last German troops surrendered in the Stalingrad pocket.
8. On February 4, 1861, a temporary committee met at Montgomery, Alabama where they organized a Confederate States of America.
9. On February 6, 1933, Amendment 20 to the United States was proclaimed which moved the Inauguration Day to January 20th.
10. In February 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated.
11. On February 6, 1899. The U.S. Senate ratified the peace treaty that led to the end of the Spanish-American War.
12. On February 6, 1952, Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain.
13. February 11 - National Foundation Day in Japan
14. February 12 - Abraham Lincoln's Birthday
15. February 14 - Valentine's Day
16. February 21 - International Mother Language Day
17. February 22 - Independence Day in Saint Lucia
18. February 22 - George Washington's Birthday
19. February 24 - Flag Day of Mexico
20. February 25 - People Power Revolution (Phillippines)
Lip Whistle Valentines
Take a picture of your child and attached a lip whistle to the card.
You are just "Write!"
Give you valentine a new pencil or pen with a sign that says, "I think you are just write."
Give you valentine a ruler with a note that says, "You rule!"
WORK SAMPLES for 2015-2016 School year
We will go over these during our 1:1 conferences this year.
You will scan and save them as pdf, or take a picture and save as a jpeg. Then you will send them to me with the new File Sharing Option in the OLS. Video on how to file share: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/coQ6IlfHjn
Work Samples For 90 Day students ONLY- Terms 7b, 8b, 9b, 10b, 11b, 12aa and 12bb
Class Connect Recording Links 15-16 School Year- Check Here for Past Recording Links
Class Connect Recording Links
Click on the link below to view recordings related to that course.
Language Arts & Math+ Blue
Language Arts & Math+ Green
Language Arts & Math+ Orange
Language Arts & Math+ Purple
Language Skills 4 & Math+ Red
Language Skills 5 & Math+ Yellow
American History A:
Did you Know that K12 has many great apps in the mobile app stores?
If you have an iPad, Kindle, tablet, etc. that you allow your kids to use, they may be missing out on some really cools apps that K12 offers. You should visit the full list at http://www.k12.com/mobile-apps/k-8#.VDdUx_ldWSo.
Many of the Apps are FREE, with only a couple that cost a few dollars.
There is an app for each grade level in K-2 that has all of the K12 Classic Reader Stories. They include the pictures and the story can be read aloud.
Also check out the fun math apps like K12 Choc-It-Up or xGerms Addition