September 9, 2023
👋🏻 Hello Highlands Families!
It has been an AMAZING week here at HI. We held our first All-School Mindful Morning where we discussed month's theme: "Self-Management" and practiced using this skill as a school.
Hawks Nests: Last Friday, we had our first Hawks Nest. Students are organized in multi-aged groups with a "Nest Leader" (a staff member other than their classroom teacher).
- This will be held once a month on Fridays from 8:20-8:50.
- During this time, students connect with older and younger peers and create relationships outside of their grade level or social group.
- The Nest Leader facilitates an activity that is aligned with the social-emotional theme of the month (August was "Belonging").
- We spent the week leading up to our first Hawks Nest practicing how to get to our location (shout-out to our 5th and 6th grade students for picking up K-2 students and serving as leaders in our building!).
- Next Hawks Nest: September 22nd "Self-Management"
Hawk Night Flight: Color Run Edition: 👏🏼 A HUGE thank you to our Highlands PTA for organizing Friday's Hawk Night Flight! So many smiles, so much laughter! It was an awesome community-builder and place where every Hawk felt as if they "belong".
🚫 No School: Friday, September 15th (Teacher Professional Learning)
It's great to be a Highlands Hawk!
🛑 Crossing Guard Needed: 63rd & Roe
🌟 PTA NEWS 🌟
🩰 Lancer Dancer Camp
📣 Little Lancer Cheer Clinic
🌱 ✨ Highlands Wildly Important Goals (WIGs)
HI WIG #1: Implement a system-wide monitoring process that utilizes collaborative instructional teams who meet regularly to review student data from screening, progress monitoring, and common formative assessments (CFAs) to identify next steps for instruction.
- ✅ Lead Measures (to get us there):
- Intentional Core Instruction: Students are doing the talking (thinking); teachers are asking questions to encourage students to think and generalize what they know to new situations.
- Intentional Core Instruction: Teacher teams will use information from CFAs and real-time observations during core instruction to strategically target skills that will accelerate achievement
- Educational Equity: How will we get EVERY student there? A collective responsibility to provide students with what they need, when they need it, and with an urgency to master essential outcomes.
HI WIG #2: Prioritize social/emotional personalized learning through explicit instruction, modeling, classroom norms, school rituals/routines, and caring attention.
- ✅ Lead Measures (to get us there):
- Student absenteeism: monitor student absenteeism and create a plan to help students be at school consistently. Students that miss 10% of school days are defined as chronically absent.
- Mindful Mornings: Each morning from 8:00-8:30 will be a time for face-to-face (device-free) connection and friendship. Students know they can softly enter their school day.
- Schoolwide system of mentorship: all-school mindful mornings each month, Hawks Nests each month, classroom buddies, and 6th grade jobs.
- Positive behavior system: of grace and accountability through our PBIS and BIST programs.
🍎 Attendance Matters: How Can We Help?
Chronic Absenteeism is 10% - or 18 days - of school missed. That comes out to being absent 2 days a month throughout the year.
Chronic Absenteeism in Kindergarten, or even Pre-K, can predict lower test scores, poor attendance and retention in later grades, especially if the problem persists for more than a year.
If your child is struggling to get to school, please reach out to your classroom teacher, Mrs. LaHue, or Mrs. Sutton (social worker) and we will provide wraparound support. ❤️
🗓 Upcoming Events
🚫 No School
Friday, Sep 15, 2023, 08:00 AM
🎡 Highlands Carnival
Friday, Oct 6, 2023, 05:00 PM
🚫 No School: End of Quarter 1
Thursday, Oct 12, 2023, 08:00 AM
🚫 No School: Teacher Workday
Friday, Oct 13, 2023, 08:00 AM
📋 Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Teachers will provide a sign-up for exact times.