The Tiger's Roar
Orange Grove Families,
It has been a great start to the school year as we have eased our way into the routine. Just 3 days week one, 3.5 week two, and 4 week three. If the tropics don’t impact us, we may even get a full week of school here soon!
If you are new to Orange Grove, this email, called The Tiger’s Roar, is a monthly e-blast that will give you an overview of school events and happenings that may not be included in your child’s classroom newsletter, our website, or Instagram. Speaking of Instagram, I would strongly encourage you to follow Orange Grove by clicking here. This is a great way to keep up with and celebrate some of the many things that are going on at The Grove.
In Charleston, we are fortunate to have a lot of options when it comes to schools. I want to thank you for choosing Orange Grove. We are looking forward to another great year at The Grove as we celebrate 60 years as a public school! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or my administrative staff if you have any questions throughout the year.
Have a great year!
John H. Clendaniel
In This Issue
- Pro Kids Show Family Night this Tuesday 9/12
- SAIL Testing Nomination & CCSD 24-25 Calendar Survey now open
- PTO Treasurer Needed for 23-24 School Year
- Accelerated Reader (AR) Information for Families
- September Orange Grove Sports Newsletter
September 11: Patriots Day - Students wear red, white, and blue (free style day)
September 12: Pro Kids Show Family Night @ Elementary (5p - doors open / 6p - show begins)
September 18: Constitution Day observed - Students wear red, white, and blue (free style day)
September 21: OGCS Charter Board Meeting 6:00p @ Elementary
September 22: Early Release: Elementary - 11:40a & Middle - 12:15p
September 24: Sunday Chorus Practice 2:00p @ Elementary
September 27: PTO Board Meeting 1:50p @ Elementary
October 10: PTO General Meeting 6:00p @ Elementary
October 11: 8th Grade PSAT testing
October 13: Early Release: Elementary - 11:40a & Middle - 12:15p
October 19: OGCS Charter Board Meeting 6:00p @ Elementary
October 22: Sunday Chorus Practice 2:00p @ Elementary
October 25: End of 1st Quarter / PTO Board Meeting 1:50p @ Elementary
October 26: Middle School Booster Bash
October 27: Early Release: Elementary - 11:40a & Middle - 12:15p / Booster Fun Run @ Elementary
October 31: Halloween (Students may wear costumes to school)
November 1: One-hour delayed start: Elementary - 8:40a & Middle - 9:00a
November 3: Middle Picture Day
November 4: Tiger Tee Off Tournament
November 7: No School / Teacher Workday
November 10: Elementary Picture Day
View the 2023-2024 OGCS Calendar here.
Now Hiring Afterschool Counselors
OGCS Elementary Extended Day Counselor
- Competitive pay
- Hours: 2:00 - 6:00p on school days
- Flexible work schedule with reliable hours
- Weekends and most major holidays off
- Must be 17 years or older
- Child care experience preferred
For more information and to apply, please email Sarah Larsen, Elementary Extended Day Director. You can also reach her by calling the elementary campus at (843) 763-1520.
Attention 8th grade parents
SAIL testing nomination form open until 9/13
If your 3rd - 5th grade student has not yet been identified as gifted (SAIL) and you would like him/her to participate in the Gifted and Talented aptitude testing taking place this month, please complete one of the nomination forms below. All forms must be submitted by September 13, 2023.
CCSD Gifted & Talented Nomination Form (English) / Formulario de Nominación para Dotados y Talentosos (Spanish)
CCSD's calendar survey closes 9/15
If you would like to share your feedback, please select the calendar option that you most prefer by completing the CCSD Schools 2024-25 Academic Calendar Selection Form. The survey should only take 5-7 minutes of your time to complete.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call 843-937-6303.
Elementary & Middle School arrival & dismissal
During these busy times, please be sure to:
- be mindful of our neighbors as you travel to and from both the Elementary and Middle campuses by keeping driveways clear, following posted speed limits, and yielding to walkers and bicyclists.
- park in designated parking areas, on and off campus. On many neighborhood streets and intersections around both campuses, street parking is not allowed. Please follow posted street signs and do not block driveways.
- use sidewalks and crosswalks when on campus.
For additional arrival and dismissal information including campus maps, instructional videos, and more, click on the links below. Thank you for your help in keeping everyone safe.
PTO Treasurer needed
Calling all volunteers!
Middle School families - we need you, too! There are many events at the Middle School that wouldn't be possible without our wonderful PTO and parent volunteers. Thank you for your support!
Booster T-shirt Sponsorship
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor for this year's Booster T-shirts, there is still time! Please complete the OGCS PTO Booster T-Shirt Sponsor Form today. Forms, payment, and logo submissions must be received by Friday, September 15 in order to meet the production deadline.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to the September newsletter!
Volleyball Season is in Full Swing!
Our volleyball teams are setting the court on fire this season! We have three fantastic teams representing Orange Grove. These dedicated athletes have been practicing tirelessly and are ready to bump, set, and spike their way to victory. Come cheer for our teams at their upcoming matches and witness their passion and teamwork firsthand.
Cross Country Excellence
Our cross country team is off to an incredible start. They've been training hard and competing against each other throughout each practice. With upcoming meets in the region, they're ready to demonstrate their speed and endurance. Join us in cheering them on as they race towards victory!
Let's meet the remarkable coaches behind the success of our young athletes.
- Erin F. is the coach for the 6th-grade volleyball team; she brings passion and dedication on and off the court!
- Jenelle leads the 7th-grade volleyball team. While in her first year, she blends in perfectly and challenges her athletes each practice.
- Kelsy mentors the 8th-grade volleyball team. Her adaptability and overall love for the game has created a perfect fit for her each season.
Tara G. doubles as our new MS Guidance Counselor and OG Cross Country Coach. She continuously challenges her team to not only improve on runs but also in the classroom.
- Volleyball: Kicked off their season this week with games spread throughout Charleston County.
- Cross Country Invitational: Our cross country squad will be participating in their first SCHS Event on Wednesday, Sept. 20th in North Charleston at the Stall High School Invitational at Wannamaker Park. Show your support by joining us at the event or sending your best wishes to our runners.
As we are just getting our competitions started, please keep a lookout for our winners next month. They will be announced in our October edition of The Tiger’s Roar.
Stay updated on all the latest happenings and detailed schedules of our volleyball and cross country teams by following us on our school athletics website:
Athletic Director / Middle School PE Teacher