Starring Room 204
week of April 22, 2013
Next Tuesday and Wednesday, your child will demonstrate their content mastery by completing the Math and Reading portions of the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR). Unlike its predecessors, STAAR is intentionally rigorous, designed to assess your child’s ability to think critically and apply higher level thinking skills across reading and math. Your child’s commitment to building a reading life and showing his/her thinking (in math and reading) will play a big part in his/her success next week.
Some things you should know about testing days:
- Students have exactly four (4) hours to complete STAAR. Brief restroom/water breaks are included in the four hour time limit.
- We will begin at 8:30 (sharp) each day. Please be sure your child is on time!
- Children are allowed to ask for reading assistance during the math STAAR.
- We will not participate in specials on either day.
- We will eat lunch at our regularly scheduled time (12:10) and return to the classroom to ensure that every child is given the mandatory four hours to complete the test.
- Your child may have a water bottle at his/her desk; however, it must remain on the floor during testing.
- Visitors are not permitted in the building the entire week.
To help your child be successful on STAAR, I encourage the following:
- Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep.
- Feed him/her a hearty breakfast on both days.
- Dress your child in layers; send your child with a sweater or something else he/she can easily put on and remove.
- Encourage your child each day!
Don't forget to return the star die cut to school. It should include an encouraging message from you. They will be placed on your child's desk in the morning!
If there are any questions or you need additional information, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m confident we will be successful on these assessments!