November 30-December 4
Science Kits will be picked up next week. Please have ready for Roger and/or Jeff to put out front by Friday (Dec 4).
We will not have a faculty meeting or data day in December. School Improvement will meet on Dec. 9
Thursday, Dec 3
5th Grade Power up Meeting
Friday, Dec 4
Science Kit Pick up
DOE Visit on Tuesday
PTB Christmas Program on Wednesday
School Improvment on Wednesday
NO DATA DAY in December
Brain Rules by John Medina
Brain Rule #4: We don't pay attention to boring things.
- The brain is not capable of multi-tasking. We can talk and breathe, but when it comes to higher level tasks, we just can't do it.
- The 10 minute attention span- You must do something emotionally relevant at each 10 minute mark to regain attention.
- We are better at seeing patterns and abstracting the meaning of an event than we are at recording detail
- Emotional arousal helps the brain learn.
- Students use prior experiences to predict whether they should pay attention
- Use novel stimuli, be usual, unpredictable, or distinctive - to get the kid's attention
- Tap into the student's emotions to get their attentions
- Remember the 10 minute rule when designing mini lessons